OK - I pulled out my cookie books today...time to think Christmas cookies!

KaraKW

<font color=blue>Baby Bird Correspondent<br><font
Hi, there!

I'm kind of new to this forum, but I've enjoyed several of the wonderful recipes I've found here! What a great resource!!

Anyway, I pulled out all of my "cookie" books today and I'm starting to look throught them for Christmas cookie ideas! I know, it's still early, but I can't help myself! :)

So, has anyone else given any thought to the cookies they'll be baking this holiday season? Any great cookie recipes to share?

:) :) :) :) :)

Kara :wave:

I haven't decided what varieties I'll be making this year, but will definitely be making these in addition to Nestle's Toll House.

Grandmom's Filled Cookies

Filling:
2 boxes dates
1/2 c sugar (scant measure)
1 Tbl flour
1 box raisins
lemon juice
1/2 c water
Grind dates & raisins. Add sugar, juice, flour & water. Cook, stirring all the time, until you can spread. If it gets too thick, add a little water. (Also good when apricots are substitued for some of the dates & raisins.)

Cookie:
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 c milk
4 eggs
1 1/3 c shortening
6 c flour
6 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Combine ingredients; then roll & cut out. (Roll on floured surface to 1/8" thickness. I use a 2 1/2" diameter biscuit cutter or a cookie cutter with scalloped edges.) Drop ~ teaspoon of dates onto each cookie & cover with another. Press down edges of top cookie. (No need to completely seal it.) Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.

I don't remember exactly how many cookies this makes - but I think it was around 6 dozen.

Monster Cookies
12 eggs 1 lb butter
2 lb brown sugar 3 lb peanut butter
4 c sugar 18 c oatmeal
1 Tbl vanilla 1 lb chocolate chips
1 Tbl maple syrup 1 lb M&M’s
8 tsp baking soda
Mix in dishpan in order given. Drop by ice-cream scoops & flatten. (~6/sheet) Bake for 12 min. Do not overbake. Let cool on sheet a couple of min before removing!! Very important! Yield: 5 1/2 dozen.

Monster Cookies - 1/4 recipe
3 eggs 1/4 lb butter
1/2 lb brown sugar 12 oz peanut butter
1 c sugar 4 1/2 c oatmeal
3/4 tsp vanilla 1/4 lb chocolate chips
3/4 tsp maple syrup 1/4 lb M&M’s
2 tsp baking soda
Mix in order given. Drop by melon baller scoops & flatten. Bake for 12 min. Do not overbake. Let cool on sheet a couple of min before removing!! Very important! Yield: 10 dozen.

Cry Baby Cookies

1 c brown sugar 1 Tbl ginger
1/2 c shortening 1 Tbl cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda 1 c strong coffee
1 Tbl boiling water flour
1 c molasses

Blend sugar & shortening. Dissolve baking soda in water & add to molasses, then combine with sugar/shortening. Add spices; mix well. Add boiling coffee. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Roll out 1/2” to 3/4” thick. Cut in rounds. Bake in a quick oven 15 minutes. “Eat one & children cry for more; hence the name Cry Babies." This recipe was handed down through someone’s family since George Washington’s time. (It helps to have DH around to help stir these BY HAND - the dough gets quite stiff! My mother burned out her mixer the first time we made these!)

Just went thru my cookie books yesterday and have been picking up things at the grocery store for the last couple weeks. Every year I say I am not going to do this and every year I do, although I did no do as many last year as I usually do(I only did 27 different candies and cookies)

I've been thinking about cookie baking too! I will be making cut-outs from a recipe I found last year on the web. It's nearly identical to the cookies my grandmother used to make. :) I've asked for her recipe, but it makes a roasting pan full of dough!!! Much to much to work with, and difficult to divide. <p>My mom also made mentioned of a fun gift-giving idea for chocolate chip cookies that she had seen at a craft show. I found a webpage for the same idea while searching for cookie recipes kust this afternoon.Cookies in a Jar I'm considering giving these to the other girls in my office.

my daughter wants to make gingerbread cookies all of a sudden. now I need a cookie cutter for that right? I have never made these ones before.

If DD will not be upset at not making actual "gingerbread men" you could just cut them out with a glass or thin mug. Maybe you could convince her to make "smilies" with the raisins or icing. . . that is if you don't want to run out & buy the cookie cutter.

I bought 2 gingerbread men PANS last year. You just press the dough into the impressions and after they bake you pop them out and decorate. I hate using cookie cutters and I have a million of them. Go figure!

Cinderella/girl -- those gingerbread pans sound really neat! I'll have to look for those! :)

I have a cookie spritz that makes cute cookies, so I'll make cookies with that. I like to add green food coloring and use the tree shape.

These are my favorite cookies.

Double Chocolate Chewies
From Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes
¾ cup margarine or butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 (12 oz) package chocolate chips (I like Ghiradeli double chocolate)
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
1. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Add eggs and next 3 ingredients, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
3. Drop mixture by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake at 350 for 8 to 9 minutes. (Tops will be soft.) Cool cookies on baking sheet 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool.
5-1/2 dozen cookies

Amy,
Those chocolate cookies look great!! I'll definitely have to give those a go! :)

Kara :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter