OKW, getting a ground floor unit

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I wonder what percent of guest at OKW request a ground floor unit? If that is your only request, your chances should be good? Or not?

We do request “ground floor or elevator building due to mobility issues”, and I have never not gotten ground floor or elevator building when I have made that request.

I do not often try to book OKW. So this is probably 10 times in 19 years of owning DVC.

We do request “ground floor or elevator building due to mobility issues”, and I have never not gotten ground floor or elevator building when I have made that request.

I do not often try to book OKW. So this is probably 10 times in 19 years of owning DVC.
Good grief!

I used to book OKW for my inlaws and, due to bad knees and COPD, they needed ground floor. So I'd make a medical request for ground floor which was 'not guaranteed'. Booked it for them 3 times and they did NOT get ground floor one of those times but 2nd floor. They went to desk and asked to be moved down and were told they could not move them until halfway through their trip. They took that and struggled for a few days. There us a building with elevator that would have been nice for 70somethings with health issues but nope. They didn't get that. Was told they could not request that. Yet, not long ago my 40something DH and I got that building without requesting. And we got ground floor there. Our request was close to the main building.

Yes, I wonder what the "secret" is to getting an elevator building. We booked a HA Grand Villa, and got one in an elevator building. Loved it, the location couldn't be beat, and my golf loving family loved the view!
In the past few years, we've always requested first floor and always gotten it. However, I hate that I always go through the fear of not getting first floor (then, whatever would I do with my ECV). And as the OKW owner-population ages, the request for first floor increases, but the number of first floor units stays the same. I'd like to reserve a HH-located villa, but I'm afraid that might decrease my odds of getting first floor. Has anyone reserved HH and asked for first floor, but now gotten first floor when decreasing the available units? I'm considering reserving a HA unit in order to guarantee getting first floor.

Yes, I wonder what the "secret" is to getting an elevator building. We booked a HA Grand Villa, and got one in an elevator building. Loved it, the location couldn't be beat, and my golf loving family loved the view!
In the past few years, we've always requested first floor and always gotten it. However, I hate that I always go through the fear of not getting first floor (then, whatever would I do with my ECV). And as the OKW owner-population ages, the request for first floor increases, but the number of first floor units stays the same. I'd like to reserve a HH-located villa, but I'm afraid that might decrease my odds of getting first floor. Has anyone reserved HH and asked for first floor, but now gotten first floor when decreasing the available units? I'm considering reserving a HA unit in order to guarantee getting first floor.
A HH location would greatly reduce your odds.

We recently had 2 nights at OKW with one ECV. We requested first floor… but the first priority was not moving rooms (rented thru different owner each night). We wound up on 2nd floor and decided to just plug it in outside on the first floor those 2 nights. It was under the overhang so the passing shower was fine.

Another time we stayed a week and our #1 priority was first floor, which we did get.

I'd say they're as good as any other request. When my kids were in strollers, we always requested ground floor rooms and almost always got them at OKW. I think a lot of people want anything but the ground floor so it’s probably an easier request to grant than many.

We requested anything but ground floor and were given ground floor. We were able to move once we explained why we submitted the request. 🙄

The 3 times I booked for inlaws was the HH section and we did not get it one of the 3. I want to say we booked for ourselves once too and also did not get it. So that's like 50%.

Last edited:
The 3 times I booked for inlaws was the HH section and we did not get it once. I want to say we booked for ourselves once too and also did not get it. So that's like 50%.
The elevator buildings are not part of the HH section so that is why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter