OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Hi

It will be our first stay in Old Key West in October and we are very much looking forward to it.
Looking at the resort map it appears that quite a few of the buildings are close to Buena Vista Drive and the Bonnet Creek Parkway. Do you hear any traffic noise when you are on your balcony if you are in any of these buildings?

Many thanks

Kev

Hi

It will be our first stay in Old Key West in October and we are very much looking forward to it.
Looking at the resort map it appears that quite a few of the buildings are close to Buena Vista Drive and the Bonnet Creek Parkway. Do you hear any traffic noise when you are on your balcony if you are in any of these buildings?

Many thanks

Kev

Hi there! We stayed in a one bedroom in building 22 off Millers Road a little over week ago. The front of our building faced towards Bonnet Creek Pkwy, I was so worried about the sound, but it was never an issue. Our balcony faced the golf course and it was quiet the entire week. I can't speak for any rooms that face the road, but we never had a problem with street noise. :)

Hi

Many thanks

Kev

We stayed off Turtle Pond and faced the highway. Never heard a thing - except a car accident one night. Not a good sound.

Hi there! We stayed in a one bedroom in building 22 off Millers Road a little over week ago. The front of our building faced towards Bonnet Creek Pkwy, I was so worried about the sound, but it was never an issue. Our balcony faced the golf course and it was quiet the entire week. I can't speak for any rooms that face the road, but we never had a problem with street noise. :)

We stayed off Turtle Pond and faced the highway. Never heard a thing - except a car accident one night. Not a good sound.

Thanks very much for your help. That's put my mind at rest.

Kev

So this is an OKW Lovers thread and... We stayed last week for our first time and I did not like it. I can't say it was all bad, but I don't want to stay again.

I couldn't help comparing CBR to OKW, and here's where OKW loses, imo: lack of counter service, no sandy beaches with hammocks, and too close to bus routes. I was shocked to find that our "deluxe" resort has one walk-up counter with limited menu; CBR has a food court-type area with a great assortment of choices, plus a grab-and-go area.

The bus noise disturbed us, and we were disappointed, having heard how peaceful and quiet OKW is. It honestly made getting to sleep at night difficult.

I loved the sandy beaches at CBR, and would go in the both the morning, early before we left for the parks, and at night when we returned, take off my shoes and walk in all that cool sand and then lounge in a hammock for a bit. It was one of my favorite parts of our vacations.

Am I just overly attached to fond memories of CBR?

Thanks, guys.
That's why it's important to buy where you like to stay and to do your research. Buying for the bang in your buck does you no good if the resort does not offer what's truly important to you. OKW was the 1st DVC resort, largest living footprint (which I love) before they realized making them smaller would multiply profits. True to the timeshare theme, it does not have the "now" popular food court for the simple reason, fully equipped kitchens. Personally, I don't frequent food courts, I love to cook and chill/grill by the quiet pools at OKW. But as the years went on, many people said, hey don't care about fully appointed
Kitchen, not cooking while on vacation, thus the food court was born and intergrated in those resorts that have inn's or hotels attached. Example, AKV/Jambo house, food court, Kidani, none. With that said is there hope to renew your faith in OKW, I think so, the one and 2 bedrooms are lovely. I prefer the Turtle Pond area for the quiet and the views. OKW is my home resort and one of my top favorites, though it may never be yours, I think there's hope. If not, sell and buy where you prefer to spend your time. Good luck!

Hi

Many thanks

Kev
I can't let your question sit here and not share my experience and have a clear conscience. After our unique experience with excessive noise from our neighbours, the manager gave us a room for a few hours so i could get some sleep, in building 50 and yes, there was no escaping the traffic noise. It was constant and hubby sat on the patio to read and commented that he wouldn't have wanted to spend our trip there. The rooms down that end of the resort are actually quite close to the roads and they are getting considerably bigger and more traveled. The resort will run at capacity and by luck of the draw, someone will get those rooms, and with the upcoming renovations that will put buildings out of commission, it will be even more likely.

We have a studio booked for December - any suggestions on the best location/room number I could request?
Thanks

Try again :)
We have a studio booked for December - any suggestions on the best location/room number I could request?
Thanks

Try again :)
Thanks
Kind of a broad question. Do you have HH area booked or not? Do you need a lower floor or do you want an upper floor? Most studios are located on the ends of the building. Take a look at one of the maps of OKW and see what tickles your fancy. Renovations will have started by then so there is no way to figure out what will have been completed. Basically, a studio is a studio. Some of the first floor might have the AC units for the building close by (so not so much as noisy, but not as scenic). There are lots near the various pools.

I looked at the map and cannot find the Boat shuttle that goes to Disney Springs, is it near the HH?

also,
I rented points, am I able to make a request on my preference of location, do I do that on my Disney Experience 60 days out?

Thanks so much for any help

I looked at the map and cannot find the Boat shuttle that goes to Disney Springs, is it near the HH?

also,
I rented points, am I able to make a request on my preference of location, do I do that on my Disney Experience 60 days out?

Thanks so much for any help
The boat docks right next to the HH. Booking on points (including rented points) requires reserving a specific location. If you need to be near HH, the owner has to reserve a HH category at the time of booking.

So unless the Owner requested a certain location when they booked my Reservation there is no way to add a request after booking? thanks

Correct. At OKW the HH area is a specific booking category which must be available when booked.

So unless the Owner requested a certain location when they booked my Reservation there is no way to add a request after booking? thanks
The only book category is "Near Hospitality House" which must be reserved; it is not a request. You most certainly can request a villa location in any other area of the resort. It's easy to get around OKW despite the size of the resort. The furthest building out is only about 10-12 minutes walking to HH. And you can always jump on any park bus. They all stop at HH last on the way out of the resort. If you are at HH and want to go back to your villa, walk over to Peninsular Road and hop the bus.

You can have the member who made your reservation note any requests you have. Or, you can use online check-in and make your requests, but that's not always a good option for DVC resorts.

Hello! Our very first stay at OKW is this November. We're used to staying in mod resorts and frequent the food courts most mornings for breakfast. I know there's not a food court at OKW, but how does Goods to Go compare in selection - particularly for breakfast? Olivia's looks delicious but I'd rather not use a TS credit just for breakfast or take the time to have a sit down meal first thing in the morning (we're planning on visiting for dinner). DH absolutely MUST have his Mickey waffles though. Lol. Thanks!

Hello! Our very first stay at OKW is this November. We're used to staying in mod resorts and frequent the food courts most mornings for breakfast. I know there's not a food court at OKW, but how does Goods to Go compare in selection - particularly for breakfast? Olivia's looks delicious but I'd rather not use a TS credit just for breakfast or take the time to have a sit down meal first thing in the morning (we're planning on visiting for dinner). DH absolutely MUST have his Mickey waffles though. Lol. Thanks!
You won't find Mickey Waffles at Good's (but Olivia's has them). Good's is nothing like a food court. It's a poolside snack bar. When they build OKW they assumed most members staying there would eat in their villa, so quick service dining wasn't considered. Here's the Good's breakfast menu. Pretty limited.
Good's Food to Go Breakfast Menu

Snacks
· Assorted Fruit Cup $5.19
Entrees
· Bahla Bagel Sandwich - served with smoked ham, cheddar and eggs $6.49
· Harry's Hearty Breakfast Bowl - served with scrambled eggs, poblano peppers, O'Brien potatoes topped with a biscuit and gravy $7.49
· Olivia's Bread Pudding - a mixture of pastries combined with a special home-made custard, served with Olivia's rum sauce and your choice of sausage or bacon $7.99
· Breakfast Platter - Egg, Bacon, Biscuit, and Potatoes $6.79
Side Dishes
· Biscuits and Gravy $3.79
· Oatmeal $3.49
· Orange or Banana $1.99
For Children Ages 3-9
· Power Pack - Includes choice of beverage: 1% Mickey Milk, Chocolate Milk, Small Bottled Water, or Apple Juice Box $5.49 Mickey Check Item
· French Toast Sticks - Includes choice of beverage: 1% Mickey Milk, Chocolate Milk, Small Bottled Water, or Apple Juice Box $4.99
· Breakfast Platter - Egg, Bacon, and Apple Sauce, includes choice of beverage: 1% Mickey Milk, Chocolate Milk, Small Bottled Water, or Apple Juice Box $4.99
· Cereal with Milk - Includes choice of beverage: 1% Mickey Milk, Chocolate Milk, Small Bottled Water, or Apple Juice Box $4.99
Bakery
· Assorted Pastries $3.59
Beverages
· Assorted Fountain Beverages - Coke, diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Root Beer, Orange, Powerade, Lemonade, Iced Tea $3.29
· Bottled Water $3.00
· Coffee - regular or decaf $2.79
· Hot Tea or Hot Cocoa $2.79
· Orange Juice $4.29
· Apple Juice $2.69
· Milk - Lowfat, Chocolate, or Whole $2.69
· Monster Energy Drink $4.79
· Cappuccino or Latte $3.79
· Espresso $2.49

Stayed end of jan/early feb. As previous poster mentioned not a ton of breakfast options at Goods to Go, but something we LOVED was using a snack credit for biscuits and gravy. They are a good size and filling. We would get coffee in our mugs, get a couple of plates, sit at one of the outdoor tables, and catch a bus from the HH to our destination once we were done. :)

Hi! Going in May 2BR (so excited, taking my parents for their first Disney trip) and could not find this information - what is the bus stop order for going to the park and returning? Do the buses regularly fill up, AKA if we are near the last pick-up bus stop going to the park can I still get my parents a seat? Thanks so much!

Hi! Going in May 2BR (so excited, taking my parents for their first Disney trip) and could not find this information - what is the bus stop order for going to the park and returning? Do the buses regularly fill up, AKA if we are near the last pick-up bus stop going to the park can I still get my parents a seat? Thanks so much!
Go take a look at the very first message in this thread... where you will find your answer!
There are 5 Disney bus stops throughout OKW. The busses usually make the stops in this order:

1. Peninsular Road
2. South Point Road
3. Old Turtle Pond Road
4. Miller's Road
5. North Cove Road (Hospitality House)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter