OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We took our about to turn 3yo in Feb (along with Aunty and Uncle, Grandma and Grandpa and our 7.5 yo). We did 5 park days (one for each park except 2 for MK).

We packed lunches so we could eat in lines and anywhere when we were hungry and got groceries so the kids had familiar snacks.

The adults took turns going back for late night hours a few nights (mostly at MK) which gave hubby and I a date evening while grandpa watched the kids (we did put them to sleep before going out though) and while mom and dad and the kids took breaks in the afternoon the other adults stayed and played. Another day my youngest didn't want to go back to the parks so he went to the pool with grandpa while mom, dad and big bro went back to Epcot. Also a few days as mom dad and kids headed back to the parks we met grandma and grandpa heading back to the resort to start getting dinner ready.

We did a breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe, it was cheaper than a character breakfast but still a fun.

OKW has a splash pad at the main pool but my littlest was content to be carried around the pool and didn't go over to it. They did have life jackets available. I'm 90% sure there is a playground but we never got there. Pretty sure they had movies and smores but again, after long park days we never made it there.
Just to clarify, there are small playgrounds near every pool at OKW And yes, they do smores by the main pool, not sure if it is every night, though.

Is anyone familiar with the board games they have in Community Hall? If so, can they only be played at Community Hall or can you check them out and play them back in the rooms? Do they have the standards, like Monopoly?

Is anyone familiar with the board games they have in Community Hall? If so, can they only be played at Community Hall or can you check them out and play them back in the rooms? Do they have the standards, like Monopoly?
We were last there in December and yes that had all the standard games and some different ones.. and yes you can play them in the community hall or check them out and keep them for a couple days and play wherever

Almost every building has easily accessible parking,the exception is Building 64 and it is not an HA building. I would assume your HA permit from Canada should work. HA buildings are outlined in red. All HA units are on the first floor, except for building 63, because OKW has no elevators, except for building 62. 63 amd 64.

Even if you have a car, I recommend taking the busses to Magic Kingdom, as the Handicap parking is NOT convenient to that park.

Here is a map of OKW.

noAre7p.jpg
Just a shout out that this is THE BEST map of OKW. I've had copies of this printed for years.

Regarding stairwells... what I recall is that some are, some are not. That seems to be the case as far as I can see on Google Maps as well. There is occasional noise from upper floors, like tromping of feet or dragging of chairs. I will request 'top floor' in my reservation (which they find odd since most people don't like to climb, possibly, two flights of stairs) but that's my preference. There is a booking category called "Hospitality House" which are eight building close to the HH, which is has most of the amenities including the boat dock to Disney Springs. There are non-HH buildings that are just as close (62, 63, 64... among others) that you could request outside the HH category.

If you want a quiet area (in addition to a quiet room), I've heard that the buildings in the lower right corner of the map (54, 55, 56...) are quiet... less traffic/people noise. I haven't stayed there so I can't vouch for it.
Prefer 3rd. floor every time despite my knees hating me after a 2 shopping cart haul of groceries from the car.

Prefer 3rd. floor every time despite my knees hating me after a 2 shopping cart haul of groceries from the car.
I don't do 3rd floor anymore. My old body doesn't like it. I ususally have to get ground floor, as most people I travel with need scooters. I rarely hear the people on the floor above, but thee are times. Sometimes I think the people I travel with are awake, and they aren't, it is footsteps from above. But overall, I rarely hear things from other units, except the connecting studio if a get a one bedroom.

Tried to recreate the map in a higher resolution, as that version looks like it's been compressed a few times and getting harder to read.

If it looks like I goofed something up, let me know and I will fix it.

OKW_Map.png

EDIT by Chuck_S - -THANK YOU ThornXLB, I hope you don't mind, but I've used your map (though it is showing small) and provided a Download Link for your enhanced map on Page 1 of this thread...giving you credit for it.

One minor change that should be noted here is that the Traffic Circle at the and of South Point Road has been enlarged, and the buses use that for the turnaround now. Before that, the traffic circle was too small, and the buses went through the parking area for Bldgs 52 and 53, as shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
OKW is my home resort purchased in 1992 but I haven't stayed there in years. One reason is the studios have 2 beds. I was considering the studios next July because I want to save some points for a Christmas 2024 stay but with GERD I really need a chair/sofa setup. I really wish they would consider King rooms with some kind of chair in the future but I doubt this will happen.

BTW, I really don't like the new lobby. Looking at the photos, it looks bad. Way too white, sterile, and those 2 tables (one round and one rectangular) look like they were just thrown there as an afterthought. Different heights when they're sitting right next to each other? What's with that? I do like the lighting fixtures but I don't feel the theming is reflecting what it should. Some of the sitting area looks okay but there are a lot of mismatched tables and chairs. It looks like they just used what they had hanging around. Not a good look!

Last edited:
Tried to recreate the map in a higher resolution, as that version looks like it's been compressed a few times and getting harder to read.

If it looks like I goofed something up, let me know and I will fix it.

OKW_Map.png
Thank you! Yes, it was very difficult to read - I had to work out the legend. Appreciate it!

OKW is my home resort purchased in 1992 but I haven't stayed there in years. One reason is the studios have 2 beds. I was considering the studios next July because I want to save some points for a Christmas 2024 stay but with GERD I really need a chair/sofa setup. I really wish they would consider King rooms with some kind of chair in the future but I doubt this will happen.

BTW, I really don't like the new lobby. Looking at the photos, it looks bad. Way too white, sterile, and those 2 tables (one round and one rectangular) look like they were just thrown there as an afterthought. Different heights when they're sitting right next to each other? What's with that? I do like the lighting fixtures but I don't feel the theming is reflecting what it should. Some of the sitting area looks okay but there are a lot of mismatched tables and chairs. It looks like they just used what they had hanging around. Not a good look!
Pictures don't do it justice. The lobby looks really great in person.

Any good DVC merch at OKW? We stopped there last month and was not much as far as shirts go. I am continuing in my search for some DVC shirts larger than a medium 😂.
We were there a couple of months ago and also had trouble finding any men's shirts. I was looking to purchase a few posters, but to avail. I ordered mine online.

I don't do 3rd floor anymore. My old body doesn't like it. I ususally have to get ground floor, as most people I travel with need scooters. I rarely hear the people on the floor above, but thee are times. Sometimes I think the people I travel with are awake, and they aren't, it is footsteps from above. But overall, I rarely hear things from other units, except the connecting studio if a get a one bedroom.

We did a 1st floor in building 45 for a 2BR villa on the river. It was wonderful not having to traverse the stairs. And only a couple of times we heard footsteps above since the family was trying to get to the parks early. I have a white noise generator on my phone, so I don't hear a thing when sleeping.

Is OKW 2042 your only DVC home?

If yes, any thoughts as we near "armageddon" 😉

Will DVD offer new extensions?
Will OKW & other 2042 properties be sold to an outside company?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Is OKW 2042 your only DVC home?

If yes, any thoughts as we near "armageddon" 😉

Will DVD offer new extensions?
Will OKW & other 2042 properties be sold to an outside company?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
They can’t do anything until 2057 since they they sold extensions and new direct contracts don’t expire until 2057 either. I can see them either renovating or rebuilding after 2057.

For those who use rideshare (Uber/Lyft) while staying at OKW, can they pick you up at your building or do you need to meet them at the Hospitality House?

I guess the same question (which may have a different answer) for the Minnie Vans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter