OKW Pool & Little Kids Question

GoldenPrincess

Mouseketeer
We're going to be at OKW next Monday (YAY!) with my 5 year old grandson. Does anyone know if they have available--gee, I'm not really sure what I'm even asking for--the best description I have is "life vests" for the pool?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can bring to help him (and Grandma!) feel more secure in the pool? Thanks!

I'm not sure if OKW has vests or not. We bring "swimmies". They are blow up rings that go around their arms. My DD is 3 1/2 and we bring them everywhere. They are inflatable and pack very easily. I know you can get them at KMart for 99 cents. Probably hard to get around here (out of season brrrrrrr) but I'm sure you could get them at Wallmart in Orlando. Of course they aren't a life preserver but he will be able to be in the water without you holding him.

Yes, they do have good life vests there for the children to use. But you need to ask for them and sign them out near the pool area.

We always get our life vest at Hank's on the day of arrival and sign it out for our entire stay. This way we don't have to go back and forth everyday and if we choose to swim when Hanks is closed we have it available.

They are like water ski vests and excellent.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks! We have a couple of boating supply stores around here. I'll check to see if they have those "swimmie" thingies. It'll give me something to do this afternoon!

Your 5 year old grandson may have more fun without any vests. Just having you near him to watch if he should fall in over his head might be enough. At resorts where there are life guards there is usually some resrictions on vests but at OKW they allow most anything. I would go without a vest but that is just my opinion. There is a great kiddie pool over by the main pool area where he would not need a vest at all. On the other hand he may be getting to the age where he may not want to go into the kiddie pool area. Have fun. Grandchildren are the greatest.

All the Disney resorts, including OKW, that I have stayed at have life vests available for check out. It can be for a few hours or the entire length of your stay. Just make sure you check it back in the day before check out before Hank's closes unless you have a check out time after they open in the morning. It is very difficult to find someone to take it for you if they aren't open. I think it is great that these are provided. Didn't have to hold my 2 year old constantly while we were in the pool and she had a great time. Have fun!

I believe you will discover that the lifevests available at Hanks are superior to swimmies. The life vests are designed to allow children to stay upright in water that is over their head, unlike swimmies. Also at age five, the life vests allow children to gain confidence in the water while practicing their swimming strokes. I know every year our children made significant strides in their swimming abilities due in large part to all the cross pool swimming they got to do while wearing these life vests. They are one of the reasons we spend almost as much time in the pools as in the parks. Good luck, and good swimming !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter