Old Port Orleans

TERROT

Earning My Ears
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY ITS CLOSED? HAS ANY ONE EVER STAYED AT CORONADO SPRINGS? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

...of lowered attendance/bookings because of the sluggish economy and 9/11. Personally, I still have hope that it'll open once again (assuming you're speaking of Port Orleans French Quarter, since Riverside is open) considering it's still listed as a booking option in guides and on the Internet site.

I've stayed at Coronado Springs--and loved it! It has a Deluxe feel about it, despite its Moderate status. It's tops in terms of atmosphere, scenery--and it even has two top-notch restaurants on site--Maya Grill (table service) and Pepper Market (the best IMHO food court at WDW).

Keep in mind you may run into crowds in the lobby area, since Coronado Springs is the only Moderate resort to book conventions.

Trust me. You'll have fun there.

Joe
A Walt Disney World Outing

I'm sorry to hear Coronado Springs is closed. That is a great place to stay. You can't beat the price. The food court is SPECTACULAR!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I wonder why Disney shut it down since the parks were packed for the holidays and from what I hear, you still run into long lines at the parks.

King Triton

Coronado Springs is not closed.
Port Orleans - Riverside (formerly Dixie Landing) is closed.

Port Orleans French quarter is closed
Port Orleans Riverside is open (It will always be Dixie Landings to me)
Coronado is open

could never keep the names and closure straight...should have left them the way they were.

My wife and I always wear a t-shirt or sweatshirt with Dixie Landings on it when we visit there for dinner. Its our little protest

Does anyone know if/when Port Orleans French Quarter will be re-opening? My fiance and I are booked to stay there for a week in November for the first part of our Honeymoon, and no one has contaced us to change hotels yet.

I also make a point of wearing one of my two Dixie Landings polo shirts around the resort....especially when I check in!

Have talked casually with several CM's in resort management. POFQ definitley closed in response to reduced bookings in the wake of last year's events. All of the furnishings were removed and it is supposedly undergoing a total interior rehab. I said supposedly, I have not gotten any confirmation. I've heard several different takes.

The WDTC's website is still accepting bookings for POFQ beginning in October. Everytime I call CRO or WDTC I make a point to ask when POFQ will reopen. When an agent does respond, it's always "October is what I hear."

Personally we hated CS and much prefer PO-Riverside and PO-French Quarter. Coronado Springs is huge; food court is run differently than PO - they actually add a tip on your bill and with the conventions there, it was a nightmare on the buses when the conventioners were all let out from their conventions and as a group wanted to hit the parks..... picture hundreds of people at the bus stations at the exact same time... ugly!

Teena, I've only stayed at Coronado Springs three times but found the bus service there to be fantastic. Seemed to me that the conventioneers really had no interest in the parks, so the buses were almost always vacant. Yet, the frequency of the buses was outstanding. Plus, the stops at the parks are very near the entrance (unlike the other moderates.)

No doubt you had a bad experience, it's just that it's so opposite of what we've encountered there.

I agree with you on the food court service fee. But I really like the architecture (especially the Ranchos) and the pool (particularly the slide) is teriffic.

I definitely agree with gcurling. We stayed at CSR because we read on these boards that the buses are mostly empty. That was the case last June. Buses were frequent and were only crowded coming back at night at park closure times. Our favorite resort for atmosphere is still Dixie Landings, ( I have the old Tshirts too!) but the buses there tended to be more crowded.

WDW Cast Portal confirms Port Orleans French Quarter and River Cruise to reopen in May!

Port Orleans was the first WDW resort we ever stayed at. I just loved the atmosphere, the design, and the colors. My son loved the dragon pool and eating benets in the morning on our way to the parks. So I was devasted when PO was closed. One day at work, a travel agent came in and bought hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise for clients. She said that her business was better this year than last year, and she understood that Port Orleans was closed to the public, but it was being used for visiting military families, like Greentree (right name?).

Shades of Green I believe, not Greentree. But, good try. I heard that Shades of Gren will close soon for a major renovation and expansion. Maybe they will open Pop Century then. Personally I hope the renovate it before it opens and make it more palitable to the eye. But that's another thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter