OMG -March Break Flights

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We just booked our flight for March break 2025 from Toronto Pearson to Fort Lauderdale (not Disney). I know travel has gone up but this is getting insane. We booked for 3 and It actually cost more than we just booked at Xmas time for 4 of us. We tend to stick to main airlines (i.e. Air Canada or WestJet) and we did pick direct and decent times, but still. The total cost was $4500 for 3 of us, with net cost of $4000 as we had a $500 discount.

Anyone else finding air travel has gone insane? And do you tend to stick to the main air lines? When we went to Disney World, we stuck with WestJet as it had the most flights.

I just realized this was Canada so I’ll caveat my reply, but in the US flights are always most expensive when first available and then again under two weeks to departure. The sweet spot is a few months before departure. But yeah, down here the prices of flights has gone up steadily.

I just realized this was Canada so I’ll caveat my reply, but in the US flights are always most expensive when first available and then again under two weeks to departure. The sweet spot is a few months before departure. But yeah, down here the prices of flights has gone up steadily.
From previous years from what I've seen for Canadian flights, I think that's the case when it's not holiday time, but for xmas and March break week, it only seems to go up (or may go up and down slightly). Air Canada flights have actually been out for a bit, but we were waiting for WestJet to release as we wanted to compare the two (and went with Air Canada for Aeroplan points)

I have to agree with you.I find in most cases our best deals come at the 3 to 4 months away from departure,though I look every day starting the day I plan to take a trip.

Our flights just opened for March break and they are eye watering. So I'm biding my time and using Google Flights (and Hopper) to track prices. Definitely not ready to book yet.

They always jack up the prices over March break. If you're close to the border, flying from the US is the way to go that week. This past March break, it was $1K USD for 2 with Spirit, slightly more with Delta.

March Break YYZ-MCO-YYZ, Saturday to Saturday, booked at $600 per person on A/C. Now it has doubled. Prices do not always go down. Often times booking early is the cheapest.

They always jack up the prices over March break. If you're close to the border, flying from the US is the way to go that week. This past March break, it was $1K USD for 2 with Spirit, slightly more with Delta.
We live in Toronto so flying out of Buffalo is an option. The only thing is that weather is so unpredictable these days and I would worry even more about snow out of Buffalo than here in March.

I have to agree with you.I find in most cases our best deals come at the 3 to 4 months away from departure,though I look every day starting the day I plan to take a trip.
It’s hard to get a feel on the correct time to book these days. I booked our flights for Christmas 2025 the first day they came available last February. Prices have gone up $400 a person since. They may come back down but who knows

We had friends that went to the Bahamas this past spring break. The flights from Montreal were $1500 a person and from Toronto were $500. That's a big price difference, especially for a family of five! They didn't want to drive due to the unpredictable nature of the weather at that time of year, so they took the train between the two cities and said it was awesome and they would totally do it again if it would save them thousands of dollars. Just another option to consider! It can be helpful that Ontario and Quebec don't have the same week off from Spring break.

We had friends that went to the Bahamas this past spring break. The flights from Montreal were $1500 a person and from Toronto were $500. That's a big price difference, especially for a family of five! They didn't want to drive due to the unpredictable nature of the weather at that time of year, so they took the train between the two cities and said it was awesome and they would totally do it again if it would save them thousands of dollars. Just another option to consider! It can be helpful that Ontario and Quebec don't have the same week off from Spring break.
So true! Airlines aren't stupid and raise the price substantially at break time.

It’s hard to get a feel on the correct time to book these days. I booked our flights for Christmas 2025 the first day they came available last February. Prices have gone up $400 a person since. They may come back down but who knows
Which airline has flight availability for Christmas 2025?

We just booked our flight for March break 2025 from Toronto Pearson to Fort Lauderdale (not Disney). I know travel has gone up but this is getting insane. We booked for 3 and It actually cost more than we just booked at Xmas time for 4 of us. We tend to stick to main airlines (i.e. Air Canada or WestJet) and we did pick direct and decent times, but still. The total cost was $4500 for 3 of us, with net cost of $4000 as we had a $500 discount.

Anyone else finding air travel has gone insane? And do you tend to stick to the main air lines? When we went to Disney World, we stuck with WestJet as it had the most flights.
Hi Hon
There is something to be said about having the calm assurance that flights are booked.
Some years ago I waited on booking flights to YYZ to Mc Callen Texas (family) home and ended up sitting on a Grey Hound Bus with my sister for 3 days there and 3 days back.....yeah not ever doing that again.

In the past few weeks I have been watching my flights go up $60 --- $ 120 and all my preferred flight times disappeared.
I won a WestJet gift card last year via Airmiles so I just decided to go ahead and book my winter (Feb 2025 ) trip.
YYZ to MCO
Total cost with all taxes was just under $500 return. I can live with that.

Best wishes planning your break away!
Hugs Mel

Hi Hon
There is something to be said about having the calm assurance that flights are booked.
Some years ago I waited on booking flights to YYZ to Mc Callen Texas (family) home and ended up sitting on a Grey Hound Bus with my sister for 3 days there and 3 days back.....yeah not ever doing that again.

In the past few weeks I have been watching my flights go up $60 --- $ 120 and all my preferred flight times disappeared.
I won a WestJet gift card last year via Airmiles so I just decided to go ahead and book my winter (Feb 2025 ) trip.
YYZ to MCO
Total cost with all taxes was just under $500 return. I can live with that.

Best wishes planning your break away!
Hugs Mel
So true...you risk not only going up but the "good" times selling out.
We did pick the tickets with an ideal time, as we figured if we selected a late night return (another cheaper option), then we'd spend the difference anyways in a day hotel or activity and food. (This is post return cruise).
That's a great deal you got for $500.
Thanks for the wishes. Same to you for your Feb trip!

I use my points to book flights at Christmas, March Break, etc. I have a couple of strategies if the points rates are high.

I often book a year out at the lowest points rate (sometimes involves an airport change in Toronto or an overnight). Oftentimes, they change flight times once they settle their schedules. When that happens, I can adjust my flight times to the ones I actually want.

Similarly I've booked us a couple days after peak travel and then moved the date back by a couple days if the time of our flight gets changed. For example, instead of flying home on January 4, 2025 for 50K points per person, there is a decent flight on January 7, 2024 for 10K points so I booked that one. My hope is that the flight times change and I can move the date to January 4 for free.

It's a bit of a risk but I only book itineraries I'm willing to travel. It's really worked out for us so far to get the flights we actually want, and saved us thousands and tons of points!

Last edited:
I use my points to book flights at Christmas, March Break, etc. I have a couple of strategies if the points rates are high.

I often book a year out at the lowest points rate (sometimes involves an airport change in Toronto or an overnight). Oftentimes, they change flight times once they settle their schedules. When that happens, I can adjust my flight times to the ones I actually want.

Similarly I've booked us a couple days after peak travel and then moved the date back by a couple days if the time of our flight gets changed. For example, instead of flying home on January 4, 2025 for 50K points per person, there is a decent flight on January 7, 2024 for 10K points so I booked that one. My hope is that the flight times change and I can move the date to January 4 for free.

It's a bit of a risk but I only book itineraries I'm willing to travel. It's really worked out for us so far to get the flights we actually want, and saved us thousands and tons of points!
Thanks for sharing. That sounds like a risk, but if the off peak main days still work if it doesn't get changed on you, then that's great That's great that so far it has been a great trick that has worked out.

Yes, did this for our recently past March Break. Booked Tuesday to Tuesday. Flight times changed. Chose Saturday to Saturday. Easy!

I just did something similar. I chose a Friday night to Saturday morning flight on Westjet over Canadian Thanksgiving. The return flight out of MCO is 7am which means being there for 4am.:crazy2:

There are several other flights home, including one at 11:30 am, but the cost was double what we paid. I’m really hoping they will cancel the crazy early flight or change it enough that I can choose a later one, but I’m willing to take the early one if we have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter