on the verge

katsdad

me like disney "no chance"
hello to all. would just like to say that this forum is so very good:banana: :banana: we are at this moment at the stage of will kick ourselves if we dont (come on you have all been at that point)but for some reason we just cant make our minds up.We would love to hear what tipped the balance for you and the ultimate question , have you ever regretted buying dvc. thankyou for all honest replys:thumbsup2

Hello and welcome :wave:

As you can see from my signature, we've been members for 11 years and have never regretted it. But .... big BUT here .... we did the tour first at Easter '96, spent the summer doing the figures and getting to know the system and if it would work for us, then went back in the October, visited OKW and VB again just to make sure, then signed up :) Cautious or what?

We've added on 5 times, and now own at the 3 resorts we are happy with. My husband was the biggest cynic of all - remember what the reputation of timeshares was in the UK 11 years ago? DVC is now part of our plans for retirement eventually :thumbsup2

Good luck with your decision.

Hi! We've recently become members but first took the tour at Vero Beach in 2000! Unfortunately, we didn't think it through properly and dismissed it as not for us - when I think of the cash we'd have saved over the years if we'd just bitten the bullet, well, I could :furious:...

Anyway, last summer we spent sooo much money taking a party of 8 to Disney's Polynesian resort, we decided to give DVC another look. This time (mainly thanks to this forum) I was able to do considerably more research and suddenly the penny dropped! We decided to take advantage of the excellent exchange rate and effectively pre-pay for a wide range of Disney vacations. With the proposed extension of DVC accommodation in California and Hawaii, it just gets more attractive...

So definitely better late than never - we now own at 3 resorts and are having so much fun using/planning how to use our points!

Good luck with whatever you decide... :thumbsup2

Hi and Welcome.

We took the plunge earlier this year and I have to say it was a very easy decision for us.

We have been visiting Florida since 1991 and for a few years we had a co-ownership property in Kissimmee. The property was sold about 5 years ago and since then we had been searching for something that would suit our style of holidaying. Now in our mid 50s with no children.

We went through the whole process of considering buy to let, co-ownership (again) but as we are still working and in a different line of work since our original co-ownership days, it was a difficult on to call.

On our last full day in WDW last April we visited one of the DVC information points in MK and arranged to meet the following morning prior to our flight home. We did and we jumped at it. :banana: The points system and choice of property just suits our particular circumstances down to the ground.

We bought minimum points and will be using them for the first time in January. No doubt there will be add-ons in due course ;)

For regular visitors, DVC does represent a saving (allbeit in the medium to long term) over the usual villa, hotel holiday.

Good luck in whatever you decide :thumbsup2

Hi interesting thread, Im just like pootle considering buying into DVC but the main point for myself is how many points to buy. Just now Ive been offered 160 points OKW and will receive another 160 in June. So the points I would like to know and hopefully this will help pootle as well are

1. Can I sell some of the first 160 points and save the rest for my holiday in July when i receive my alloted amount in June.
2. Can I buy more points later on
3. How do I start to book once all the transactions have taken place.
4. How can you own at other resorts as stated in some of your replies.

POOTLE sorry for highjacking your thread but hope the answers will help you as well.

Cant wait to become part of the DVC.

some good questions there skelfbsfb, but it was i not pootle that was askin:thumbsup2 hope you and i both make the right choice:banana: :banana: and thank all that have replyed:thumbsup2 your comments make the scales of balance tip towards the mouse getting some more dollars:lmao:

Sorry for that for some reason I mixed up the names. Hope we both make the right decision.

We just decided one day we wanted to buy into DVC, called Florida and a guide called us aback and sent us the pack. The next day we bought over the telephone.

Hi interesting thread, Im just like pootle considering buying into DVC but the main point for myself is how many points to buy. Just now Ive been offered 160 points OKW and will receive another 160 in June. So the points I would like to know and hopefully this will help pootle as well are

1. Can I sell some of the first 160 points and save the rest for my holiday in July when i receive my alloted amount in June.
2. Can I buy more points later on
3. How do I start to book once all the transactions have taken place.
4. How can you own at other resorts as stated in some of your replies.

POOTLE sorry for highjacking your thread but hope the answers will help you as well.

Cant wait to become part of the DVC.

I'll try to answer your questions

1. You can rent out your points should you wish once you own them, or you can 'bank' them into your next Use Year.
2. You can add more points once you are in the system. The minimum is 25 for a cash purchase and (I think) 50 if financing is required.
3. When you are a member you will be given information about how to access the member website (you need a unique PIN to get started), also you will have a freefone number with which to contact Member Services from the UK. Basically you can email them or ring up.
4. You can add points at other resorts if there is availability. You have one master contract, say for example no. 99999.001. Your next add-on would be number 99999.002 and so on. It doesn't matter which resort(s) you add-ons are at.

If you do an add-on (BCV for instance) when you own OKW, firstly you may have to wait for the points to become available, and secondly, only the BCV points give you the 11 month advantage at BCV, although you can bank and borrow to give you more flexibility.

Hope this helps :)

We were making our 2nd trip in a year, and just loving being at WDW again so decided on the last day to do the tour! We don't have kids yet, but we knew that we would never stop wanting to go back, and that it would in the long term save us money. Dh spent ages working out the finances! We decided that it would take us longer to recover the money than DVC guides suggested (but only by a couple of trips) because we don't stay in the really deluxe resorts normally.

We joined last october (having been in the summer), went back in Jan and are about to go again! Woohoo!

We bought enough points to do what we plan to do.. a 2 week trip in a 1bed every other year - well that's the plan once we have kids!

I would only recommend it if you don't have to go into a big finance deal to pay for it!

We bought 3 contracts, one for the 150 points and then 2 at the minimum 25 points, so that if we ever need the cash (or can't afford to keep it) we can sell off a small amount without surrendering the whole thing. However I find it much more likely taht we'll want to buy more rather than sell!

We love our DVC!

We were making our 2nd trip in a year, and just loving being at WDW again so decided on the last day to do the tour! We don't have kids yet, but we knew that we would never stop wanting to go back, and that it would in the long term save us money. Dh spent ages working out the finances! We decided that it would take us longer to recover the money than DVC guides suggested (but only by a couple of trips) because we don't stay in the really deluxe resorts normally.

!

We love our DVC!

When we joined in 99 we based against where we would stay moderates,we worked out 6-7 trips.If compareing againt values at the time was 10-11 trips never worked ot the deluxes as we tended to do just the odd night in them.
We have done our 7 trips (have stayed at every dvc onsite on off)plus a cruise on points plus we had 3 studios this year.Is it worth it you bet it is,now were staying in deluxes for the price of our dues.only regret is we should have done it sooner
Paulh

Decided to go for it after advice from members, buying at OKW with the extra years add on. Cannot wait now. Roll on next year.

Thanks all

Decided to go for it after advice from members, buying at OKW with the extra years add on. Cannot wait now. Roll on next year.

Thanks all

Great to hear that you have gone ahead with it !! When will you be going?

We'll be at SSR in October I think (seems to be lots of us Scottish people going for it now) !!

Hi Sue will be going in July cannot wait to get confirmation when all is completed.

Well thats it offical now, got a phone call from Disney confirming my membership number now all I need now is advice on how to bank the points for this year and then booking for next year, want to book at OKW and then a couple of nights in another resort.

Congratulations and welcome home !!

We banked our points from this year and will book for next year in a few weeks time. If your home resort is OKW, you can book 11 months in advance, but if you want to stay somewhere else I think it is 7 months.

:welcome:
We too just bought recently with the plan to go in October (already booked the flights) but those points are burning a hole in my pocket and I'm now trying to work in a trip in July as well.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter