Once Upon a Time on ABC Has it influenced your opinion on certain characters?

redheadx3

DIS Veteran
Probably not the right board, monitors can move.
It's been a long while since I have watched the Disney classics, so as
I sit and watch Once Upon a Time , it makes me rethink.
Was Peter Pan so mean, was Snow White such a warrior, was Prince Charming such a wimp, & when did Ticker bell lose her power.

This show confuses me on the traditional character personalities or possibly Is it new insite on how different they might could be.

It is just another version of the characters. Just like how the Disney company has taken traditional stories and changed them to fit their image. The "real" version of The Little Mermaid is not such a nice story with a happy ending for example.

Totally...so not a fan of Peter Pan now, and I think Captain Hook is kinda cute :)

I watch it off and on, but am curious about The Little Mermaid...only know the Disneyfied version.

Totally...so not a fan of Peter Pan now, and I think Captain Hook is kinda cute :)

I watch it off and on, but am curious about The Little Mermaid...only know the Disneyfied version.

It is a Danish tale by Hans Christian Andersen. The premise is the same where a young mermaid gives up her voice for legs. However, for the mermaid to gain a "soul", she must make the price fall in love with her and she finds "true loves kiss". If she doesn't then she will die.

Things don't go as well as in the Disney movie and the Price marries another. Now, the mermaid can KILL the price and become a mermaid again and live on as if nothing else happened. But she can't... so she dies.

Though I guess there is a happy ending as the mermaid is allowed to become a spirit of the air and may one day gain a "soul".... but there is no guarantee.

Oh... and that isn't the only one. Many other Disney stories actually come from some very dark sources:

Jungle Book
Pinocchio
Fox and the Hound
Hercules
Tarzan
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White

And that is not even getting into the basic changes that Disney has made with source material. Such as with Mulan and Pocahontas.

I love this show. I think it would give Disney movie "purists" an aneurysm, but I find the different takes on the characters really interesting!

I do wonder what would happen if you were to ask a character in the parks a question about something on the show. I know the characters are thoroughly briefed on their movies, but I don't know if they all know about the TV show or not. Plus, some of the stuff in the TV show is totally contradictory to the movie, so they couldn't give a response that would keep in-character with both their movie AND the TV show.

I'd love to ask a character a question like that, just to see what their response would be. I don't want to seem like I'm being mean and trying to throw them though, so I won't. :goodvibes

I see them as different versions of the same characters, kind of like an alternate universe. I'm a big sci-fi fan so this is an easy jump for me, haha.

I totally love this show and it's a perfect example of how imagination can change the interpretation of a story and its characters. It doesn't change my opinion of the Disney classics. Peter Pan is my all time favorite Disney movie and in my mind it captures childhood wonder and pretend. I also enjoy Neverland from OUAT's perspective as its a whole different world from the classic and that's okay too. It's a different storyline which has a different spin on the same characters and is fun to see how it unfolds. In this story Peter Pan is more evil than the classic and Hook is more personable, but its just one interpretation. I appreciate how it's a way to revisit the classic stories and the characters that inhabit them from a new and fresh perspective.

I love this show. I think it would give Disney movie "purists" an aneurysm, but I find the different takes on the characters really interesting!

I do wonder what would happen if you were to ask a character in the parks a question about something on the show. I know the characters are thoroughly briefed on their movies, but I don't know if they all know about the TV show or not. Plus, some of the stuff in the TV show is totally contradictory to the movie, so they couldn't give a response that would keep in-character with both their movie AND the TV show.

I'd love to ask a character a question like that, just to see what their response would be. I don't want to seem like I'm being mean and trying to throw them though, so I won't. :goodvibes

I had totally planned to ask them a question related to the show if the opportunity came up. But not in a "gotcha" kind of way. More like a "so how do you feel about how you're being portrayed on that show?" kind of way. I'm just curious to see what the reaction will be....

I LOVE OUAT. Yes, it has influenced me. I mean, who would've thought Captain Hook would be a panty dropper? But he is now. Rumpelstiltskin was one of my favorite fairy tales so I loved the spin they took on that. And with Belle! Wonderful! I love the different twists. I never would've thought I'd dislike Peter Pan either, but I do!

I do like Once upon a Time.
I have been watching (trying) the new Wonderland with Alice. I think I'm going to have give this show up. I just can't get into Alice, Jafar, and how Robin fits into all that:confused3

I LOVE OUAT. Yes, it has influenced me. I mean, who would've thought Captain Hook would be a panty dropper? But he is now. Rumpelstiltskin was one of my favorite fairy tales so I loved the spin they took on that. And with Belle! Wonderful! I love the different twists. I never would've thought I'd dislike Peter Pan either, but I do!

I totally agree with you!!! This season has been great so far!!!

I do like Once upon a Time.
I have been watching (trying) the new Wonderland with Alice. I think I'm going to have give this show up. I just can't get into Alice, Jafar, and how Robin fits into all that:confused3

Oh, see, now I actually love that show even more than OUAT so far! The story with Alice and Cyrus is very sweet. I love how they've worked so many bits from the original movie into the show too, without being cheesy, yet also managed to tie in an entirely different movie, with Jafar and such.

I've moved this thread to the Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music board. :)

I have no problem appreciating the different takes on these characters from the traditional ones we are used to. I think what I love most about the show is how no "evil" character is presented as purely evil. For instance, it's funny how one week I can despise Regina so much, yet feel such sympathy for her the next. I'm really liking the Wonderland spinoff too. Just wish Time Warner cable would give us a DVR that records more than 2 shows at a time.

I have a love hate relationship with so many of these characters, but the only thing I can say for sure is that this show has made me fall even more in love with Belle!

I also love the show. About the only thing that annoys me is the fact that every plot no matter how small turns out to be part of a Rumple and/or Regina master plan. Would like to see more villians (Maleficient you were gone too soon) and one-shot updates of minor characters:Cindy, Pinochio, a dwarf other than Grumpy, etc.

It made me like the Snow White story.

I never could stand Snow White for some reason. Thought she was the least attractive princess, her singing voice was annoying, her regular voice was annoying, the idea of the Snow White character just ate at me for some reason.

Then came Snow White and the Huntsman. I also can't stand Kristen Stewart either. So that fit right in to my idea of Snow White.

Then came Once Upon A Time. I LOVE the Snow White story they are portraying. Much more exciting, much better story, and it keeps me interested. Made Snow White more of a badass Katniss type character. It has completely changed my view on the story. Whenever I hear Snow White, I think of the Ginnifer Goodwin version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter