One Year Old, First Class Seat Question, ID, etc.

Just keep in mind that with those bulkhead seats you won't have access to carryon's including diaper bag during takeoff (until the seat belt sign comes off) or landing. Your bags will go in the overhead as there is no storage in front of your feet.

I would be cautious as to letting him stand, :) If he has the temperament to sit back down again when necessary, then fine! but my kids would not have understood why they can't stand up again at that age and the FA will require this for landing. We did use a car seat and never gave them the option to get up - and we tried to remain in our seats as well to set the tone.

When the time comes you can weigh the pros and cons of the car seat onboard, honestly, it's not that much of a pain, some have carry bags with wheels and some can attach to the stroller.

Hi.

We (my mom, daughter and I) will be taking my 14 month old grandson to Disney in October.
I do not think we will be using his car seat since we will rent one for our drive to/from MCO/Resort (hiring a service).

I'm guessing we can just go ahead and purchase a first class seat for a 14 month old but what, other than a lap belt, could we use to secure him? I prefer not to have him as a lap baby but also prefer not to bring car seat since my dd/grandson will
be flying home on their own before the rest of us leave so less things she has on her own the better.

Also, will my dd need anything for my grandson to get through security with the baby? She is married, it's just that her husband
won't be coming for this trip.

Thank you.
You will need a birth certificate for the airline with a lap baby. Check on the airline’s web site.

I was really asking if she needed to prove her son was her son with a birth certificate, etc.
No, absolutely not. Speaking as a parent who has had to deal with a lot of custody issues, it might be nice if airports were more vigilant about the transport of minors, but there is absolutely no documentation required when traveling with an infant or child domestically. Even internationally, at borders that supposedly require documentation, I have crossed those borders repeatedly and have never been asked to show any documentation. (I always have the documentation ready, but have never been asked to show it, unfortunately. Imo that's a bad thing, due to the danger to some of international child abduction.)

And as an aside, a birth certificate wouldn't actually prove that the baby she was carrying was her son. There is no picture, and even if there were, babies can be hard to tell apart, etc.

Last edited:
No, absolutely not. Speaking as a parent who has had to deal with a lot of custody issues, it might be nice if airports were more vigilant about the transport of minors, but there is absolutely no documentation required when traveling with an infant or child domestically. Even internationally, at borders that supposedly require documentation, I have crossed those borders repeatedly and have never been asked to show any documentation. (I always have the documentation ready, but have never been asked to show it, unfortunately. Imo that's a bad thing, due to the danger to some of international child abduction.)

And as an aside, a birth certificate wouldn't actually prove that the baby she was carrying was her son. There is no picture, and even if there were, babies can be hard to tell apart, etc.

That isn't the job of the TSA they have no jurisdiction regarding transport of minors, they are tasked with Transportation Safety not who travels with who or why.

That isn't the job of the TSA they have no jurisdiction regarding transport of minors, they are tasked with Transportation Safety not who travels with who or why.
I just said in my post that there is no monitoring of transport of minors at domestic airports. So, I guess you're agreeing with me? Just weird that you post this using a harsh tone, even though you don't dispute any of the facts I just posted.

I said I wished it were different due to issues with child abduction and trafficking, but that isn't the case. Airports are supposed to verify documentation at some foreign borders (such as between the USA & Canada- you're supposed to show documentation of either sole custody or the other parent's consent), but in my experience, they have never requested to see that legally required documentation.

Last edited:
No tone from me just facts, I read your post as wondering why TSA doesn't check travel parties (it would be nice if) so I answered. OP is flying domestic, so borders are not an issue here.

You will need a birth certificate for the airline with a lap baby. Check on the airline’s web site.
Thank you. The baby will not be a lap baby, we purchased a seat. My post was really to see if
I could purchase a first class ticket for a one year old and use/not use a car seat. We purchased the ticket.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Yes, seems we will not need.

Thank you. The baby will not be a lap baby, we purchased a seat. My post was really to see if
I could purchase a first class ticket for a one year old and use/not use a car seat. We purchased the ticket.
Thank you.

Thank you.
If you purchased a seat for him, I'd 100% plan to bring a carseat. No way would my kids have sat in the seat at that age without the car seat. I'd be too worried that they would refuse to sit long enough for takeoff and landing without the car seat. Then you'd risk being the people holding up the plane bc your toddler won't stay seated for takeoff. They have lightwieght, cheap car seats if his regular use one is too heavy. Also you can strap it to your luggage to deal with in the airport.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Simple answer is yes you can purchase a ticket in any class for the under 2. However, as I posted above there are rules as to when you need to use a CSR so if he/she can't sit unassisted and properly restrained you will need the car seat.

Also keep in mind that you cannot change your mind and have the child ride on your lap for takeoff and landing if they have a seat. In my experience some FA"s will let it go but most will require the child to be seated and restrained whenever the seatbelt light is on.

Here is the link from AA - if you're using another carrier, I would suggest checking the website for any other information, requirements.
Traveling with children − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)

Last edited:
When we flew with my 19 month old son, we bought a cheap, lightweight car seat (Cosco from Walmart) and a car seat strap that tethered it to our rolling carrying in bag for going through the airport. If you take a car seat, it has to be FAA approved and fit in the width of the seat, which will probably not be a problem in first class. Also, double check with the airline because not all airlines allow under two year olds in the bulkhead seats. And with bulkhead seats its harder to get to snacks and toys for the toddler, and they are critical for traveling with a toddler.
I will say we've used the CARES harness and love it...much better than hauling a car seat. However, the lightweight cheap car seat was a lifesaver for when my son was too little for the harness.

We booked the first row in case he wants to stand up, there will just be the wall in front of him not another seat to bother someone.
The first row is the "bulkhead." You will not have any under-seat storage. All your items; purse and diaper bag included, will have to go in the overhead bin. If you need to have snacks and entertainment at the ready, that's probably not the best option.

Car seats on planes don't serve the same purpose as they do in a car. Instead, they really provide a calming and reassuring environment for the child. Your kid is trained to sit and stay buckled up in their car seat. The car seat will make them much more comfortable with the flight.

Thank you all very much.
We booked the first class seat for my grandson who will be 14 months, it will be easier than a lap child.
We booked the first row in case he wants to stand up, there will just be the wall in front of him not another seat to bother someone.
It will be just my mom, my dd, my grandson and me, men are staying home.
We will have the stroller and gate check it.
We won't have a use for the car seat only for the plane but if he isn't heavy enough for the Cares harness, then we will need the car seat. My dd is flying down with us, but going back on her own so I'm trying to figure out the least stressful way.
I will keep the luggage with me when she goes back, we will just pay the extra bag fees. I will take the ride with her back to airport until she gets through security and then head back. I was going to just get a car that had a car seat to bring us back to the airport.
I guess we will figure it out a month or so before the flight. My dd will have a better grasp on what she wants to do and we will have an idea of how much my grandson weighs, he is not a chunky baby and in a low weight percentile so I guess it is just a wait and see.

Thank you all!
that would be the last row I would book with an infant or toddler. everything has to be in overheads not under seat in front of you. what happens if he throws up or has blow out diaper? what if he needs sippy cup or a snack? with all of these things one of you is going to have to get up and open the over head. plus what happens if the seatbelt sign stays on for most of flight all snacks and toys are in over head and you can not reach them, not something I would want to deal with

The first row is the "bulkhead." You will not have any under-seat storage. All your items; purse and diaper bag included, will have to go in the overhead bin. If you need to have snacks and entertainment at the ready, that's probably not the best option.

Car seats on planes don't serve the same purpose as they do in a car. Instead, they really provide a calming and reassuring environment for the child. Your kid is trained to sit and stay buckled up in their car seat. The car seat will make them much more comfortable with the flight.

I tried explaining this to my husband....but his argument was that we're in first class and the stuff will be right on top of us, it won't be as big a deal.

I tried explaining this to my husband....but his argument was that we're in first class and the stuff will be right on top of us, it won't be as big a deal.
sit him next to the little one and when he needs something and it is not gettable to see how easy it is. been there and done it not fun trip

Since you're in first class, you'll also be the first on the plane. Which means you'll have a good 45 minutes to an hour when your items will be right on top of you but you'll be unable to access them at the start of the trip, and another 30 minutes at the end.

If you purchased a seat for him, I'd 100% plan to bring a carseat. No way would my kids have sat in the seat at that age without the car seat. I'd be too worried that they would refuse to sit long enough for takeoff and landing without the car seat. Then you'd risk being the people holding up the plane bc your toddler won't stay seated for takeoff. They have lightwieght, cheap car seats if his regular use one is too heavy. Also you can strap it to your luggage to deal with in the airport.
Thank you. Maybe we can purchase a lightweight one that isn't too much money. My dd's carseat is expensive (the base alone is $200) and big and heavy. I'll keep a look out for one that we can use. I have one in my car but that will stay put.
My dd won't have luggage going home (I'll keep it and bring home) so she will have the stroller, baby, diaper bag and guessing car seat.

Simple answer is yes you can purchase a ticket in any class for the under 2. However, as I posted above there are rules as to when you need to use a CSR so if he/she can't sit unassisted and properly restrained you will need the car seat.

Also keep in mind that you cannot change your mind and have the child ride on your lap for takeoff and landing if they have a seat. In my experience some FA"s will let it go but most will require the child to be seated and restrained whenever the seatbelt light is on.

Here is the link from AA - if you're using another carrier, I would suggest checking the website for any other information, requirements.
Traveling with children − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)
Thank you. We are using Delta and guessing we will bring the car seat. I'm more thinking of now moving our seats.
In the past, I have been able to put my small bag under my actual seat, even with the bar there in first class but
the diaper bag will be bigger. Between the three adults, we can have a diaper or two and wipes and snacks/drink for the baby for take off/landing but guessing the diaper bag in front of us will work better.

When we flew with my 19 month old son, we bought a cheap, lightweight car seat (Cosco from Walmart) and a car seat strap that tethered it to our rolling carrying in bag for going through the airport. If you take a car seat, it has to be FAA approved and fit in the width of the seat, which will probably not be a problem in first class. Also, double check with the airline because not all airlines allow under two year olds in the bulkhead seats. And with bulkhead seats its harder to get to snacks and toys for the toddler, and they are critical for traveling with a toddler.
I will say we've used the CARES harness and love it...much better than hauling a car seat. However, the lightweight cheap car seat was a lifesaver for when my son was too little for the harness.
Thank you. I started thinking the same thing regarding bulk heads but I have seen a baby (don't remember if a lap baby or not) in the first row on my last trip, that is what made me think it would be a good idea to book that row after watching the family last trip.

Yes, I agree. That is why we use to take our car seats for our kids when they were young. I was more thinking of my dd going home since she/they are leaving before I do. I will take the drive to the airport with her and get her to security but then she will have the stroller and car seat and diaper bag and baby. I'm guessing she can find something to carry the car seat in on her shoulder if that will help.

that would be the last row I would book with an infant or toddler. everything has to be in overheads not under seat in front of you. what happens if he throws up or has blow out diaper? what if he needs sippy cup or a snack? with all of these things one of you is going to have to get up and open the over head. plus what happens if the seatbelt sign stays on for most of flight all snacks and toys are in over head and you can not reach them, not something I would want to deal with
Thank you. You bring up very valid points.

Since you're in first class, you'll also be the first on the plane. Which means you'll have a good 45 minutes to an hour when your items will be right on top of you but you'll be unable to access them at the start of the trip, and another 30 minutes at the end.
Thank you. I agree but with three adults, we can have those items on us for take off/landing. I guess though I probably will move us.

Thank you all very much. This has all been very helpful for me.

I think the only leg we're stuck there is DCA to Boston, as there are only 2 first class rows and someone is in the second row (for now). I'm hoping can convince him to move us back a row on the other leg where we're in bulkhead seats, which I want to say is Charlotte to MCO?
He forgets that traveling with little people is not the same as traveling for business as a solo traveler.

They only want the birth certificate if it’s an infant in arms. Since you’re buying a seat then no one cares.
You might need the certificate to prove that the baby doesn’t need to wear a mask (my nightmare senerio for a toddler who just turned 2).

I'm also in favour (Canadian spelling! lol) of putting the little one in a car seat on the airplane. I brought my (very squirmy) daughter as a lap infant exactly once and it was awful. After that, she was always in a car seat in the airplane. It's safer too; everything including the soap in the lavatory is tied down during a flight - except lap infants.

No need for the car seat to be rear-facing; that will make life more difficult including the person in front of the little one not being able to recline, making for bad neighbour (ha! Cdn spelling again) relations.

Important: ask the flight attendant for a seatbelt extender when you get on the plane. That will make detaching the car seat 1000x easier at the end of the flight, since the buckles will be on either side of the car seat and not directly in the middle of the back where it's really hard to reach.

If it's a cheap car seat then you can just get rid of it after returning your daughter to the airport so she won't need to lug it with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter