Only 1 refill of bread allowed at Sebastain's now

Good question! My counter question is, "If you accidentally spill your soft drink, do you think they would replace that?" The drink and bread are somewhat comparable in cost and I think most people assume their beverage will be replaced.
Disney's cost to replace the soda is near zero. Roll costs more. Soda is unlimited refills. Rolls used to be unlimited.

But I would expect either should be replaced

I'm not sure I buy it BUT cost would justify a, reasonable, policy of 2 rolls per guest. A child drops a food item restaurants replaces it, even an entrée. A parent offers to pay, the waiter or manager politely says no. People tend to eat more bread when there is a delay in serving the main course. Not an issue with the menu fixed restaurant.

Not an issue for me...I didn’t realize family service is no longer AYCTE. I'd hope seconds might be offered under appropriate circumstances. Everyone at the table is eating one side and skipping another. Or It's clear the table has hungry guests. Food isn't being wasted or going in ziplock bags.
Me either. I was thinking all family style meals were a buffet. Maybe they were, maybe this is just another Disney cut back that was done quietly? Pretty sure I am right on this.

Related hypothetical question: If I ordered a $25 entree at a restaurant and as soon as it was set in front of me I accidentally knocked the whole plate on the floor do you think the restaurant (Disney or not) would replace my meal free of charge?

Yes I think any restaurant would replace the meal. I've had it happen to me. My son dropped a meal once and an ice cream cone and they were both replaced free of charge. This was outside of Disney.

I will say the same again a dropped roll should have been replaced.
However some of what I am reading...... Places near me are limiting sauces, bread and straight changing for once included. This weekend we went out for lunch (lunch price menu) with 3... A crab cake sandwich (small crab cake I will add) 3 small steak tacos (not taco shells but the small soft shells) a half rotisserie chicken all comes with salad or rice on the same plate a Flat bread as a shared app. and 1 person ordered soda 2 free waters and the bill with tax was a little over 83 before tip and no free anything with the meal. To me what is served for 30 a person here is a true bargain. Food prices are becoming insane I think you will see more limiting everywhere or a big price hike.

I will add we have family style places and none are refills for free but most you order a dish of X and another Dish of Y etc. Disney seems to use different wording at the ones that included unlimited and the price in general is higher.

I think its just a newer cut back. But most people can only eat so much though.

I don't think any MBA is telling the cast members to not replace a dropped bread roll. Disney has always empowered employees to fix things, like replacing a dropped soda or ice cream. It sounds like they thought a manager override would be easy enough to get around the limit, but during a busy dinner shift sometimes the manager is busy. It's a less than perfect inventory and POS system, not Scrooge McDuck in the background.
Wouldn't be so sure. People would be surprised how much crap flows downhill. Just my own experience - a few family members were servers and hostesses at several Dardens-based chains years back. Can't tell you how many times the dumbest menu, server or hostess procedural changes came down from newly hired whiz kids at corporate HQ, just out of grad school and looking to impress their new boss.

Front line restaurant teams KNEW certain things wouldn't work and tried to convey that back up the chain, but were ignored. Of course after enough aggravated customers made their annoyance known, the rules were eventually changed.

So many execs are too stubborn or arrogant to check in with those on the front lines who do this for a living every day. And Disney's employees may not be as empowered as they were a few years ago.

Sorry for not responding. We were driving back today and I spent a lot of time driving.
It wasn't replaced. I did not want to get a manager involved over a roll because my kids are always watching/listening and it's a slipperly slope to give meaningful feedback and not seem like a complainer who is feels entitled to compensation; plus, I didn't want to bring down the mood of our good game of eye-spy. Not sure that was the right decision, but I was caught off guard and didn't really know exactly how to respond without seeming impolite. I usually bring extra apple sauce pouches and snacks, just in case, but forgot during this meal and felt bad for my daughter. She was disappointed and confused when the roll slipped right out of her little hands at our booth. Kids can be so innocently clumsy at that age.
*By the way, your mom's travel sandwiches sound superb! That's my daughter's favorite treat when we stop at Cracker Barrel. She's a bread, yogurt, eggs, and fruit kid.
I see, I worked for a couple years as a retail manager and I was always willing to accommodate reasonable thing with customers and saw it as my duty as a manger. I did have access to things in the computer that the associates didn't but it was not a big deal for me. It can't hurt to ask nicely, I never minded it. Even if you just get up from the table to go ask without family watching, I would hope they did the right thing! Anyway....very funny you mention Cracker Barrel. That's exactly where my mom made the sandwiches! Usually with country ham. She knew I liked them too.

Wouldn't be so sure. People would be surprised how much crap flows downhill. Just my own experience - a few family members were servers and hostesses at several Dardens-based chains years back. Can't tell you how many times the dumbest menu, server or hostess procedural changes came down from newly hired whiz kids at corporate HQ, just out of grad school and looking to impress their new boss.

Front line restaurant teams KNEW certain things wouldn't work and tried to convey that back up the chain, but were ignored. Of course after enough aggravated customers made their annoyance known, the rules were eventually changed.

So many execs are too stubborn or arrogant to check in with those on the front lines who do this for a living every day. And Disney's employees may not be as empowered as they were a few years ago.
Totally agree. Chapek's yes-men/pencil-pushers are probably making these types of decisions.

I worked at Arby's for years in college. This was about 20 years ago, but for some reason, at one point Arby's tried to start a line of pasta at their restaurants. We had to remodel a whole alcove just to fit in the pasta cooker. And literally every employee said "This will never work. No one comes to Arby's for pasta", but apparently corporate thought it was going to take off.

It was discontinued in less than a year.

Management definitely makes dumb decisions, but in my experience it's usually ignorance and not malice. I mentioned earlier that I think everyone in higher management would agree that the waiter should be able to just give the kid an extra roll, nobody is that cheap. But the employees were told the policy and followed it to the letter. It's a miscommunication somewhere between restaurant management and the waitstaff.

Me either. I was thinking all family style meals were a buffet. Maybe they were, maybe this is just another Disney cut back that was done quietly? Pretty sure I am right on this.
This one was never advertised as all you care to eat.
Sebastians was never advertised as an all you care to enjoy meal. If you compare the wording on the website to garden grill, garden grills states is it an all you care to enjoy meal, Sebastians does not. Some have said they have asked for or been offered 2nds at sebastians but that is not the norm, so don't expect it. They do provide good portions though and the meal is really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter