organizing and storing important documents

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
How does everyone organize and store important documents like passports, birth/marriage certificates, etc? Basically, anything you want to be able to grab quickly if you need to leave in an emergency. I have a great filing system for regular stuff but the way I store that stuff isn't working.

I'd also like to know items/documents you store together for that purpose.

It's probably very old fashion but I still use a safety deposit box at the credit union. I also have digital copies of important papers in online storage as well.

We do much like what @soccerdad72 does; plus most of our other documents scanned are synced to a portable hard drive that I keep in my fireproof cabinet at work. We keep our fire safe in a place we could quick grab it and our go bags, as well as our other file cabinet - this helps make sure we keep documents together.

to grab immediatly-in the fireproof safe. any additional copies plus photo copies of items we don't have additional copies of are in a safety deposit box at the credit union (which also contains car titles), 2nd copy of will/medical p.o.a.'s, copy of homeowner's insurance policy w/invantory and receipts for home improvements/contents...

We also have a little fireproof box that holds our passports, birth certificates, will and car/truck titles. Anything else is digital and stored both in the cloud and on a portable hard drive.

Small, fireproof safe. I also try to keep important docs (copies of at least) in my Google Drive.

Filing cabinet. I think a fireproof safe is on my list for these important papers/passports.

Seldom used important documents go into our safe deposit box at the bank. I feel like that is much safer than at home where a fire, natural disaster (i.e. hurricane, tornado or flood) or robbery can result in a loss of those documents.

I am less concerned about the 'grab and go' aspect compared to having them available in a reasonably secure location if we do need to access them. Feel like a bank vault is more secure then anything we might store at home.

I have a folder in my file cabinet that's cleverly marked "Passports/birth certificates". I find that someone needs access to it, several times a year for various things, so a safe deposit box wouldn't work for us. I should probably throw our marriage cerificat ein there, too.

My passport is always in whatever handbag I’m using.

The original birth/death certificates, national identity papers (not for the US), proof of marital status, etc are kept in a safe deposit box. No idea what I’ll do with the documents if the bank decides to do away with the service.

Copies of the docs are stored in my computer.

I have all passports, social security cards, birth certs, in a plastic accordion file folder which is in a safe place, but easily accessible.

Our passports and Global Entry cards are in a specific place we call "the ticket pile". Everything else is in the safe deposit box. We have all of our number and information in 1Password, so I may move them into the safe deposit box.

My passport is always in whatever handbag I’m using.
Do you often need to present your passport?

I don’t even keep my passport in my possession when traveling in foreign countries. It’s always back at the hotel/cruise ship.

Do you often need to present your passport?

I don’t even keep my passport in my possession when traveling in foreign countries. It’s always back at the hotel/cruise ship.
Yes, it’s my only piece of ID ( I don’t drive) so use it domestically too.
When I’m overseas I generally travel independently so still good to have.

It expired during the pandemic and wreaked total havoc in my life.

I have my passport in my purse, too. Just out of habit at this point, I always know where it is.

I think my parents still have my birth certificate and social security card at their house. I live 5 miles away, so not a huge problem. I haven't needed either one since I moved out.

No idea what I’ll do with the documents if the bank decides to do away with the service.

those safety deposit boxes are in high demand in our area. with so many brick and mortars downsizing and going the route of small drive up branches or online only, the credit unions which seem to EMBRACE full service/larger building physical presence in the areas they serve have multiyear waiting lists for the largest of the boxes, minimum 6 month to a year for the smaller.

Yes, it’s my only piece of ID ( I don’t drive) so use it domestically too.
When I’m overseas I generally travel independently so still good to have.

It expired during the pandemic and wreaked total havoc in my life.
Have you thought about getting a non-driver id card?

NY offers up REAL ID compliant and Enhanced ID cards at much less than the cost to replace a lost passport.

I would imagine that the process to get a lost non-driver id card replaced is much quicker and simpler than replacing a lost passport. According to their site you can get a temporary replacement same day.

Our passports and Global Entry cards are in a specific place we call "the ticket pile". Everything else is in the safe deposit box. We have all of our number and information in 1Password, so I may move them into the safe deposit box.
Still not sure what the point of those Global Entry cards are to be honest.
They don't want to see them and they cant be used for entry.

Anyone who is carrying around their passport - if its your actually passport - think about getting a passport card.
I have several family members who don't drive and I had them get the passport card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter