OT:Destination Weddings

quietgirll

DIS Veteran
Question for everyone here- my gf and I are planning for our vacation next year, and have decided it will be a "destination wedding". We want to go the route of a destination wedding for various reasons, not the least being then there won't be the disappointment of family members that refuse to come. So now I am faced with the task of WHERE to go!! If only disney would do same-sex weddings on property!! I am scouring the internet for info on destination weddings, and so far I am thinking about canada, spain...maybe hawaii. Has anybody had any experience in this field? I just feel overwhelmed...I am looking for opinions about ANYTHING in this area, whether it relates specifically to a gay destination wedding, or a destination wedding, or any experiences you have had planning a wedding in general. Hope this isn't considered out of place here, but I've found the DIS boards are the only online community I visit anymore...thanks so much for all your help in advance!!

There is a magazine, Destination Weddings, that may help you. I don't believe Hawaii recognizes same sex unions, and I don't know what the Canadian laws are as far as non residents. You have to think about all that.

Congrats on your upcoming event! I will be helping to plan a destination wedding for my DS, he just got engaged and they want to wed in April or May of next year.

I hope whatever you do that your day is filled with the love you have for each other and the joy that you spread by sharing that love.

Mickeyfan- thanks so much!! I really appreciate your well wishes, and I also appreciate the heads up about the destination weddings magazine!! I will try and make it to the bookstore tomorrow to pick up a copy of that!! Thanks so much, and best of luck to you and your DS as you plan his wedding...any idea on where it will be yet? Thanks again!!

First it was Jackson Wyoming, but that isn't really a destination since his GF is from there, then he said maybe Mexico, Cancun or further south. I would rather them do it on a cruise ship or at WDW, but it will be there decision. I am just along for the invite! I am not going to be the evil MIL!

This won't be of much help, but two acquaintances I have went to "the islands" (Bahamas) to be wed. I am not sure if it was legally recognized but they both say they were married there.

Not sure what the laws are, but I'm pretty sure they don't encompass same gendered couples marrying. :confused3

Although I am afraid that I can't help with details, I just wanted to offer that friends of ours had a destination wedding in Bermuda several years ago. My DH and I were unable to go, due to $ and small kids, but the groom's dad said after the wedding, it was the best thing they ever did. It was a vacation with their grown kids, families and friends that they would have never taken if it wasn't for the destination wedding. They had a great time, and I am sure you and your family & friends will too....as soon as you find your destination! Good luck to you & future spouse!

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter