OT:my h.f. autistic son made the Gifted program!

roseprincess

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>
Just wanted to post on these boards since I frequent them that my ds who is high- functioning autistic(more on the lines of Asperger's) recently qualified for the Gifted program in our school district! This past Dec.,his classroom teacher nominated him and a couple of other students to have further cognitive testing done in Jan. and Feb. My ds scored really high in math for the Terra Nova 2nd grade standardized test here in Illinois. He also had the further cognitive testing done in Jan/Feb. Results came in about a week ago that he scored a 136 IQ in visual/spacial! Which this all qualified him for the Gifted program! My dh and I are so proud of him! I think my ds doesn't actually start the program til next fall, what I've been hearing from his SST(Special Service teacher). He is in 2nd grade now and has been mainstreamed since kindergarten.

Just wanted to share the fantastic news with all of you!

Rosemarie :flower:

That's Fantasic Congrats to you and your son! :cool1: :cheer2: :teacher: :banana:

congrats roseprincess!!!!!! I hope to have great news like that for MY ds someday!!!!! A big woo-hoo to your ds!!!!

roseprincess,
That is wonderful news. You must be so thrilled.
Congratulations to your ds. :banana: :cool1: :banana:

Suzy V.

Great news for your son. It is wonderful when special gifts are recognized. :sunny:

My son is HFA also, and he will be in 2nd grade next year. What a motivating story!! We have said from the time that we found out about his HFA that he could accomplish anything, and THIS IS PROOF!! Thank you so much!!!

Congrats!!!! I have an 8y/o ASD son in the G/T program. Many G/T kids share some ASD-like traits (i.e. perfectionism, hyperlexia) so my son doesn't stand out as much and blends in well in the G/T school.
Uniquelygifted.org is a great resource website. I am extremely happy for you and your son!
Angie

CONGRATS!!!!

& Angie-thanks for that website, I had lost some of my bookmarks and couldn't remember that one! :)

That's great. However, you need to understand right away that it's a mixed blessing. DS14 has Asperger's, ADD and has been in the G/T program since first grade. It is very hard to convince the school that your child needs special help when he's in the G/T program. If my child is getting 80s but I know he could be getting in the high 90s with the assistance to which he is legally entitled, I'm going to fight for that assistance. The special ed teachers aren't always helpful because the parents of their other kids (e.g. mentally retarded kids) would be thrilled with a grade in the 80s. And the regular ed teachers aren't always helpful because they have the attitude that a child shouldn't be in G/T classes if they need special assistance. We've often said that our Ds is "too bright." Of course, that's not true, but he's too bright to get a lot of help from the public schools.

The GOOD thing is that when your DS gets older and has entire classes full of other G/T kids, I'll bet he fits in very well. So many of the G/T (non-Aspergers) kids are just as quirky as DS!

Thank you all, for your positive, encouraging posts.

missypie, I'm sorry to hear what happened to your ds when he was younger.
I'm glad things are going better for him now.
I have a good repore with my ds and dd's SST(Special Service Teacher). I've known her since my kids were in kindergarten. She is very supportive as of services for my kids for special ed. I attend the annual IEP meetings and we have team meetings every other month for my ds and dd that the classroom teacher, the SST, speech, OT,PT, and I attend, to talk about my childrens' progress in class ,etc. My ds and dd's SST and the school principal have been very supportive of my kids,myself and my dh.
I know each school district in the country have different issues they deal with for kids in special ed. Some school districts are very supportive with services and some are not, unfortunately.

Anyways, thank you all for your good wishes!

Rosemarie :flower:

:flower: :flower: :flower:

That's great news! Big high 5's to your little guy!!:)

:sunny:

Another useful site for 2E kids is http://www.uniquelygifted.org/

My son has done well with many accomodations in his gifted class and the teachers have been wonderful working with him as he is the only special needs kids in the gifted program. If you have any questions about accomodations, just pm me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter