Other guests who ruin the Magic...

In reading this thread I remember only a couple of times when other guests have ruined the magic for me and my family. The one that stands out the most: One afternoon I was going onto the Carousel with my then 2 yo dd. I was just about to pick her up to put her on the horse when this woman...not a teen, not a mom with a child...this woman comes barrelling towards us and completely knocked my two year old right off her feet! I had just set my dd down so I could adjust the bag on my shoulder, and then I was going to lift her up onto her horse when this woman knocked her over. She didn't apologize, didn't stop, nothing.

That was 10 years ago, and I'm still mad about it, probably because I never said a word. Haven't been on the carousel since, either.

I guess that woman really, really wanted one particular horse.

I'll come back and read the rest later- but I have to add-

I've taught my kids to keep an eye out for other Disney Meltdowns.
I let them know they're not the only ones who get tired or cranky.

If we see a particularly fierce one- and you know you have seen some FIERCE :headache: :mad: :headache: :scared1: meltdowns as WDW-

I whisper to my cranky kid:

"See, it's not as bad as THAT, now is it?"

I usually point out other kids having meltdowns to my children to show them just how ridiculous they (meaning MY children) look when they do it.

Funny enough on my last trip it wasnt a kid but a pin trader.

He was so rude I couldn't believe it.

My friend had wanted to trade for something of his and trying to be nice I looked at the pin trader's pins and then pulled out a pin of mine and asked politely, "What would you trade for this?" The man said snidely "Nothing."

I blushed and was so taken aback I can't even tell you.

I will now trade only with CM's. He really made me want to take other pin traders with a grain of salt.

Funny enough on my last trip it wasnt a kid but a pin trader.

He was so rude I couldn't believe it.

My friend had wanted to trade for something of his and trying to be nice I looked at the pin trader's pins and then pulled out a pin of mine and asked politely, "What would you trade for this?" The man said snidely "Nothing."

I blushed and was so taken aback I can't even tell you.

I will now trade only with CM's. He really made me want to take other pin traders with a grain of salt.
I am an avid pin collector/trader and I agree with you that there are some of them who are not the nicest people. I am not defending this person, but unless you don't know the rules when trading with other guests they are allowed to say no to a trade. However they should not have to be rude about it if they don't like the pin you were offering them.

This is not about me punishing my kids but someone thinking they could get on them at MK...Someone trying to ruin the magic for the rest of us.
June 06 me and my DD12 & DS6 (ages at the time) were using fast passes for Stitch. The people in the line were standing sort of single file even though it is a large open area to "gather" in before entering the doors. There was no where for us to really stand and the CM asked twice for everyone to fill all available space, no one listened to him. So when he let the group behind us in (a man in a wheel chair and his family, he told us to just follow them (which took us to the side of where everyone was standing. No problem, we did. Then I thought I heard someone on the side of me kind of smarting off about people cutting in line but didn't really pay any attention to it (I knew I hadn't done anything) next thing I know my DD is grabbing my arm and saying mom that woman is yelling at us. I turned around and this woman is ready to rip into my DD for cutting in front of her. She didn't realize she was with me I don't guess becasue when I spun around she stopped and just looked at me real funny. I still not really sure what is going on said "can I help you?" She starts telling me how this girl has just walked right in, in front of everyone is is trying to cut in line. then she turns back to my DD and starts telling her she is going to have her kicked out of the park... :mad: At this point my magic place on earth face turned nasty and I went off on this woman...I told her that if she wanted to address the issue I wasn't 12 and she could address it to me, that she did what she was told by the CM and that if all she had to do with her time was pick on kids that are doing as they were told then she was the one who needed to leave the park. Then her husband jumps in telling me I am a horrible parent to be teaching her to cut in line and that my entire family were idiots...before I could even open my mouth...and believe me I had a few choice words at this point...the man in the wheel chair told this man that if he would have listened to the CM then I would not have been sent this direction to begin with so if anyone was an idiot it was him and his family. :flower3: Then the man in the wheel chair wistled for the CM and asked him if he would address the situation with these trouble markers. They ended up getting mad and leaving the line...

I think in situations like this, it's better to ignore people than get in anyone's face. What does that teach your kids? If you are going to take the time to get in someone's face, you're better off using that time to kindly explain the situation.

Slighty OT but I was on the beach a few months ago (we go every other day) and my boys were playing happily.

A woman came up to me with the words: " I live here and I really think that you should cover your kids up, they will burn and you shouldnt have them in the sun - wat kind of parent are you throwing them out in the sun on vacation?"

now - the island I live on has only 91 white people living on it ... she sure snt one of them! And I have ived here since the boys were 9 weeks old, they wear factor 60 suncream, do no more than 15 hours a week in the sun and they NEVER burn because I take care.

the woman was not to know this but her intereferance - and most obvious LYING (using her "living here" as adding weight to her argument") was out of line. I told her I lived there, had never seen her before and how dare she comment on something she knows NOTHING about.

dont get involved people - unless its a clear cut situation such as abuse.

A smack is NOT abuse - one smack on a clothed bottom I will do very occassionally ... and it works.

I have a neighbor who is older. She always has a comment on what my daughter is wearing (saying, "Is she warm enough in that?") and she, too, told me to put sunblock on her. She's older, and she's just being grandmotherly and overprotective. I always put sunblock on her, but I don't get in the lady's face. I just thank her for her concern and assure her that I did put the sunblock on. Why argue with people or get argumentative or defensive? It doesn't do any good.
Also, I'm not a hitter. I would never hit a child because I don't see the need. I have read articles and studies on spanking. It is only effective for short-term compliance and not a way to teach long term good behavior. There are other things that work much better.

This happened to us 2 times now! We pick our spot for the parade and waited 2 hours. Right before the parade starts someone and her children step right in front of us!! My DH explains to them we have waited 2 hours and these are our spots. One lady said you dont own these spots! She sat down and made our sons move back. Thats when I got scard because I thought my DH would pick her up and move her. I had to tell him just let it go, just let it go, please just let it go. I was mad too! I would never do something like that.

This happened to us 2 times now! We pick our spot for the parade and waited 2 hours. Right before the parade starts someone and her children step right in front of us!! My DH explains to them we have waited 2 hours and these are our spots. One lady said you dont own these spots! She sat down and made our sons move back. Thats when I got scard because I thought my DH would pick her up and move her. I had to tell him just let it go, just let it go, please just let it go. I was mad too! I would never do something like that.

I'm about to log off for the night. Your post reminded me of fourth of July last year. We had just moved to Nashville and got downtown at 9AM! We wanted to get a spot, save it, and spend the day sight seeing. We came back to our spot and sat down to see the fireworks. Just before they started 2 teenagers came and sat right in front of us. They were ON our blanket! We had been there all day. It's not worth it to get in a confrontation over that. We didn't say anything. The fireworks were HUGE, anyway, and we could see them just fine. When you have a large number of people in one place, some are bound to be rude. No matter how badly someone else acts, I am always a kind, good person. After all, the only one you can control is you.

I KNOW I will be in the minority here but......

I think if a child ,teenager whatever is throwing a fit inside a resturaunt,attraction, movie etc..the parent or parents with that child should exit the attraction, or resturaunt. It is disrespectful to allow a child to cry and carry on in a resturaunt while people are trying to relax and enjoy themselves. I am talking about the LOUD fits, you all know what I am saying.Take them outside and let them have their fit....it is nobody's business how you choose to discipline your child, now I am not saying beat them, you know what I mean here as well. For many people a trip to WDW maybe a once in a lifetime event (CAN YOU IMAGINE) ! I know children are unpredictable and no one can know when a child chooses to "loose" it. BUT in cases that you can get up leave I think its the respectful thing to do.

I think if a child ,teenager whatever is throwing a fit inside a resturaunt,attraction, movie etc..the parent or parents with that child should exit the attraction, or resturaunt. It is disrespectful to allow a child to cry and carry on in a resturaunt while people are trying to relax and enjoy themselves. I am talking about the LOUD fits, you all know what I am saying.Take them outside and let them have their fit....it is nobody's business how you choose to discipline your child, now I am not saying beat them, you know what I mean here as well. For many people a trip to WDW maybe a once in a lifetime event (CAN YOU IMAGINE) ! I know children are unpredictable and no one can know when a child chooses to "loose" it. BUT in cases that you can get up leave I think its the respectful thing to do.

Agree...sort of. I think maybe only parent should take the child out of the area...to the car or bathroom if needed, then when the situation is corrected then return back to the rest of the family. If it is not corrected then maybe leave entirely.

Agree...sort of. I think maybe only parent should take the child out of the area...to the car or bathroom if needed, then when the situation is corrected then return back to the rest of the family. If it is not corrected then maybe leave entirely.

I agree. One of the big lessons we teach our kids that I am beginning to think many people DO NOT teach is that there is a world around them -- they need to be aware of it...the other people sharing the same space.

Of course, it doesn't mean my kids REMEMBER, all the time -- but we don't stop reminding. And when one of us parents has a fit in public, we remove ourselves, too!! :lmao:

Beth

Originally Posted by themudd4
This is not about me punishing my kids but someone thinking they could get on them at MK...Someone trying to ruin the magic for the rest of us.
June 06 me and my DD12 & DS6 (ages at the time) were using fast passes for Stitch. The people in the line were standing sort of single file even though it is a large open area to "gather" in before entering the doors. There was no where for us to really stand and the CM asked twice for everyone to fill all available space, no one listened to him. So when he let the group behind us in (a man in a wheel chair and his family, he told us to just follow them (which took us to the side of where everyone was standing. No problem, we did. Then I thought I heard someone on the side of me kind of smarting off about people cutting in line but didn't really pay any attention to it (I knew I hadn't done anything) next thing I know my DD is grabbing my arm and saying mom that woman is yelling at us. I turned around and this woman is ready to rip into my DD for cutting in front of her. She didn't realize she was with me I don't guess becasue when I spun around she stopped and just looked at me real funny. I still not really sure what is going on said "can I help you?" She starts telling me how this girl has just walked right in, in front of everyone is is trying to cut in line. then she turns back to my DD and starts telling her she is going to have her kicked out of the park... At this point my magic place on earth face turned nasty and I went off on this woman...I told her that if she wanted to address the issue I wasn't 12 and she could address it to me, that she did what she was told by the CM and that if all she had to do with her time was pick on kids that are doing as they were told then she was the one who needed to leave the park. Then her husband jumps in telling me I am a horrible parent to be teaching her to cut in line and that my entire family were idiots...before I could even open my mouth...and believe me I had a few choice words at this point...the man in the wheel chair told this man that if he would have listened to the CM then I would not have been sent this direction to begin with so if anyone was an idiot it was him and his family. Then the man in the wheel chair wistled for the CM and asked him if he would address the situation with these trouble markers. They ended up getting mad and leaving the line....

I think in situations like this, it's better to ignore people than get in anyone's face. What does that teach your kids? If you are going to take the time to get in someone's face, you're better off using that time to kindly explain the situation.

I would agree sometimes it's better to let little annoyances go, but not all the time. Sometimes you have to show your kids that somethings are worth standing up for. And if you can't/wont stand up for your child who is being abused by an adult for no other reason than they feel they can get away with it (the rude person didn't attack an adult, did they?) who can/will you stand up for? And while I accept that others may disagree, I don't think its wrong to teach a child to stand up for what's right even if it means toppling a bully in Disney World. I'd like to think that the child was proud of mom for standing up to two complete strangers and defending her when unjustly accused of line cutting. Again, people can see things differently, but I'd be proud to teach my child that they can count on mom to protect them.

I agree also! I have an almost 10 year old with ADHD/ODD and if I can do it anyone can! Although he hasn't had a tantrum in many a year, it was not a pretty sight to see me physically lugging a a big 6 year old out of stores and restaurants until he calms down. But it works! Consistency is the key. If you react the same way every time, they learn pretty quickly what the consequences of their actions will be.

One of the biggest problems I've seen is parents that don't really know how to utilize 1-2-3 magic correctly. They do "1...if you don't stop this then that will happen, then they wait a couple of minutes, 2...I'm warning you, stop or else, then they wait another couple of minutes, then, I'm almost to 3, do you want to get punished? I've given you 2 chances, etc, etc, etc." then finally the say 3 and deliver the punishment. In reality you tell them to stop. If they don't, you say "1...pause... 2...pause... 3" then deliver the punishment with no more words spoken. And everytime they start up again after punishment has started, then the punishment starts all over again right back at the beginning. It took awhile for us to learn how to do this correctly but boy did it work!!! I even started carrying a small digital timer with me. As he got older, the sight of me taking the timer out of my purse was often enough to stop my son in his tantrum tracks!

Also, please don't judge a child in the middle of a tantrum as a "brat"!!! Some children have disorders that make it hard for them to control their emotions. So, next time you see a child in the middle of a tantrum, please remember that they may be embarrassed by their own behaviour but unable to control it. My son used to cry after a public tantrum because people were looking at him and he was ashamed of how he acted. After one particularly bad episode during which a complete stranger came up and said "if that was my son, he'd get a good whack on his a**", Jace hugged me after it was over and cried because he thought that the woman thought that I was a bad parent and it really upset him.

Sorry for the rant, this is just a pet peeve of mine

Also, please don't judge a child in the middle of a tantrum as a "brat"!!! Some children have disorders that make it hard for them to control.....

I agree. As I stated in a small time frame passing by or in a resturaunt the casual observer cannot know the circumstances.

I agree also! I have an almost 10 year old with ADHD/ODD and if I can do it anyone can! Although he hasn't had a tantrum in many a year, it was not a pretty sight to see me physically lugging a a big 6 year old out of stores and restaurants until he calms down. But it works! Consistency is the key. If you react the same way every time, they learn pretty quickly what the consequences of their actions will be.

One of the biggest problems I've seen is parents that don't really know how to utilize 1-2-3 magic correctly. They do "1...if you don't stop this then that will happen, then they wait a couple of minutes, 2...I'm warning you, stop or else, then they wait another couple of minutes, then, I'm almost to 3, do you want to get punished? I've given you 2 chances, etc, etc, etc." then finally the say 3 and deliver the punishment. In reality you tell them to stop. If they don't, you say "1...pause... 2...pause... 3" then deliver the punishment with no more words spoken. And everytime they start up again after punishment has started, then the punishment starts all over again right back at the beginning. It took awhile for us to learn how to do this correctly but boy did it work!!! I even started carrying a small digital timer with me. As he got older, the sight of me taking the timer out of my purse was often enough to stop my son in his tantrum tracks!

Also, please don't judge a child in the middle of a tantrum as a "brat"!!! Some children have disorders that make it hard for them to control their emotions. So, next time you see a child in the middle of a tantrum, please remember that they may be embarrassed by their own behaviour but unable to control it. My son used to cry after a public tantrum because people were looking at him and he was ashamed of how he acted. After one particularly bad episode during which a complete stranger came up and said "if that was my son, he'd get a good whack on his a**", Jace hugged me after it was over and cried because he thought that the woman thought that I was a bad parent and it really upset him.

I have 2 children one who has ASD (3 years)and a younger one (18 mths)that doesnt, the youngest one has toddler tantrums the other meltdowns! Both are just as hard work to deal with, both can be reduced by preperation but it doesnt always work! I have walked out of resturants with a child under both arms kicking and screaming (youngest tries to copy meltdowns) to the horror of other patrons and my husband and walked back in a few minutes later with 2 little ones that are calm and relaxed - (I just now need the prozac) with people tutting about my 2 mis guided misbehaved children! So i apologise if you have seen this - it is happening less often but it will always happen with the oldest - i think how silly will i look doing this in 10 years time!

I have been confronted once and handed them - this child has ASD and it means etc card and walked away!

gee I was thinking about the adults..I usually like the children, its the parents that annoy me... like the mom who litterally pushed her way in front of my family pulling her two children with her so they could have a better view of the fireworks. Of course we couldn't see but she didn't care. Children learn behaviors from the parents... :thumbsup2

This is the only beef I had when going. We had it all planned out and took time outs so the kids didnt have these meltdowns and I was very proud of myself because we had just a couple of very little blow ups no meltdowns. And we were there from dawn til past 11pm every night. But we took the time to get a good seat for the parades and fireworks.

The night of the night parade we found an area to watch it we scoped out the site and sat there for more than an hour we meet some nice people from TX and talked with them and played with their kids etc. It was nice. But then not more than 5 mins before the parade was going to start some cow decieded to walk right in front and stop and watch the parade there. I mean my kids were in the stroller thing and happy but then they couldnt see squat. This lady and husband didnt even have kids!!! I was not too nice about it saying stuff like how nice it was the hour we spent sitting and playing just to have the goodyear blimp block my kids view etc. I was not being overly rude. Trust me I felt like having a meltdown but my parent (wife) kept me from doing so. But right before it started a very nice castmember with whom my daughter was jump roping with earlier came over to that woman and asked if she could move so our kids could enjoy the parade.

There were many times that I myself let kids that were behind me during those events come up in front and sit next to my kids etc. we took the parade and fireworks time as a break before the huge meltdown..

Overall I think the adults were a lot worse than any of the kids I saw. But prob. 85% of the adults were very curious. You can tell the ones that have been in the happiest place on earth for more than 2 days and the ones that have just gotten there. It was very weird. And very nice.

What I have is any sort of swearing the the Disney Parks. I was walking across the bridge in front of Splash Mountain at WDW and this guy was shouting the F word at his like 8 year old son. I felt sort of sick.

I agree. As I stated in a small time frame passing by or in a resturaunt the casual observer cannot know the circumstances.

I didn't mean you tony609! I agree with your post! I meant people in general. I guess I started off just agreeing to your post then went off on a rant. Sorry :guilty:

The 1 2 3 method made me chuckle. I don't even have to say it out loud. My kids look at me and I hold up my hand - 1,2,...I very rarely ever get to three because they know I am not kidding. Kids are kids, some have disorders some don't. Some have bad days, some have good days. Some are also more spirited than others. As parents we do our best and maybe the next time you see a child having a full out meltdown have a little sympathy. It's not easy on anyone involved -parent or child. JMHO.princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter