Our experience with the GAC at Disney

emilee&tylersmom

Mouseketeer
Hi
We just got back from an eight day stay at Walt Disney World. The trip consisted of myself, DH, DS12 and DD9. My parents were also their for the first 5 days and four other relatives joined us for the last three days. :grouphug: My daughter Emilee is legally blind. She has no central vision. She has issues with sunlight, darkness, reading, writing and many other things but to look at her you see a happy, healthy child. I was very nervous about getting a GAC card for her. I brought along my paperwork from the State and her doctor. When we arrived at the Magic Kingdom I went to guest services and requested the GAC. I wanted the stamp which would allow her to sit in the front row at shows. The cast member was amazing, she asked no questions and gave me two stamps. :goodvibes One was the front row seating stamp and the other was the alternate entrance stamp. More than we were expecting. We never had a single issue using the pass except for two rude cast members. :rolleyes1 At Tarzan Rocks when I showed my front seat stamp I was asked why we need a front row seat. I felt embarrased for my daughter having to explain why in front of her. Also one other time a cast member said we could not use the alternate entrance because he saw no reason for it. We just walked away. Every other cast member was amazing. Most called Emilee a VIP guest which she loved!!!!! princess: The cast members at Lion King were the nicest that we encountered. They even aloud our family of 8 to sit together during a show. I diffently was amazed how wonderfully Disney treats disabled guests. Emilee has been to Disney many times (this is our first trip since she started to lose her eyesight) and I believe it was her most memorable trip ever. :teeth:

I am so glad to hear that your family had a good trip and more then that, that your DD felt this was her most memorable trip yet. Once and a while a CM treat a family rudely with the GAC but you did the right thing , just walk away .The great CM's out weight the rude ones.

Agree with Michelle.
Glad to hear you had a good trip.

I'm glad that you had a great trip!!

I don't understand why CMs even question the passes. If guest services gave you one, there is a reason. I know there used to be issues with abusing the passes, but good grief!

Sandra

I'm not flaming you, just a question. If your daughter is 9, why couldn't she explain why she needed the seating?? Instead of being embarassed explaining things in front of her, why not let her speak for herself? Personally, I would have been really embarassed if my mom had done that to me.

WOW!!!

Not flaming you either but my daughter is 9 years old. She is very shy and due to her lack of vision does not alway no when people are speaking to her. You might not know this but not all children who are 9 speak up for themselves. Especially in strange places. My daughter recently and very rapidly began losing her eyesight and we are trying to let her adjust at her own speed!!!!! Thanks for asking.

I'm trying to understand why you got the stamp for an alternate entrance - is it to avoid stairs, etc?

Thanks for posting. I am glad that you had a great vacation. And that you simply left when the couple cms gave you difficulty about the GAC. Thats what I would have done also, just walked away and came back later in the day.
About the particular GAC you had, were you able to access FP attractions without first obtaining a FP?

Thanks
Suzy V

Schmeck said:
I'm trying to understand why you got the stamp for an alternate entrance - is it to avoid stairs, etc?
I really believe it is based on the child's needs and not all children with vision loss need a Alternate entrance but some do. The OP said that her child just recently began loosing her eye sight which mean she might have trouble navigating Ques.
She never asked for the alternate entrance pass ether they just gave it to her.
Also a lot of kids that have visual impairments and even Children with hearing impairments have sensory problems so not all kids are in on category. That is why the new GAC system works so well it does not focus on a diagnoses but the need. With ever card being different for each need. I applaud Disney for their efforts in improving there service for guest with disabilities.

To the original poster I am very happy you had a great time. It makes me so happy that your daughter enjoyed Disney and that you were treated well.
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Jen

Schmeck--
We did not ask for the alternate entrance stamp the cast member just gave it to us. We used it whenever necessary. Light, dark, stairs, moving platforms and navigating small areas are an issue for my daughter so this came in handy many times.

Thank you Riu Girl and JenJen---we did have an amazing time. :goodvibes

emilee&tylersmom]Schmeck--
We did not ask for the alternate entrance stamp the cast member just gave it to us. We used it whenever necessary. Light, dark, stairs, moving platforms and navigating small areas are an issue for my daughter so this came in handy many times.

Hi, emilee&tylersmom!!
Welcome back! We would do the SAME thing with our daughter. She is very uncomfortable going up and down stairs and in dim/dark lighting - we don't get the GAC, but ask at certain attractions that we know will be an issue for her. Glad most CMs were wonderful. We have only run across a couple duds ourselves. Most have been more than helpful to us and very kind to my daughter. Everybody is different and has different needs and usually they respect that.

As for the post regarding letting your daughter explain - OMG! I don't think my 9 yr.daughter would be comfortable having to defend to a complete stranger her need to use an alternate entrance of sit up in front. Come on! These are kids that are quickly losing their sight and having to deal with that emotionally and learn to accept themselves and their new challenges. I have a hard time asking a stranger for any kind of help - especially in front of my daughter. How degrading. I am still sad inside about what is happening to her and I get upset if I feel like I have to explain our sad situation to a stranger and expect them to empathize with a situation they can't possibly understand. I am betting you feel the same way. ;) Many of the CMs are just kids, basically, and have no idea about life.

Glad you had a nice time! :sunny: Did you happen to come across any large print park maps??? Were you able to board Buzz, PPan, and those moving platform rides alright?? Just curious for my daughter, too. princess:

Take care!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Lives4Disney said:

Hi, emilee&tylersmom!!
Were you able to board Buzz, PPan, and those moving platform rides alright?? Just curious for my daughter, too. princess:

Take care!

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:
One of the other reasons they may have given the alternative entrances stamp was so that they could board the moving walkway rides at the exit (where people with wheelchairs or visible mobility disabilities board without needing a GAC). At the exit, the CMs have more control of the moving walkway - except for Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, they can even stop it if necessary. Boarding at the exit also allows a bit of extra time for boarding. Both would be very helpful for someone with vision loss.

Thanks for the thoughtful explanations - my mother-in-law has glaucoma, and there may come a time in the future when she cannot see. We had a wonderful time when they came to WDW with us a few years ago, and hope to bring them back sometime. I didn't realize that the CMs control from the exit. I figured that they'd have more control at the standard boarding area.

Lives4Disney
Unfortunately even though we were told on the phone by many CM's that the parks would have the enlarged maps, none did. Guest services at Magic Kingdom told me that they have not had them in years.

We had a WONDERFUL time. It was much warmer and much more crowded than previous years but we had a blast.

Our first park was Magic Kingdom, we got the GAC and were ready to try Emilee's first ride since she started to lose her sight. It was Buzz, she at first wanted the ride stopped because she was very nervous. For the second moving platform ride she wanted to give it a try. I just warned her when the platform would start moving. 1, 2, 3 moving platform. I think I said it about a hundred times this trip. We did use the alternate entrance for many things. Being force with dozens of people through a few small doors (for shows, etc) is extremely overwhelming if you have issues with seeing. As I'm am sure you know. This worked really well for us.

Thank you about the comment about Emilee explaining her disability to a CM. I know that you understand what it is like to have a child who is suddenly losing his/her sight. Emilee, at this point, would and does explain her issues to friends and family but NEVER to a stranger. She's 9!!!!! Life is changing for her every day, any stress I can take off of her we do. Thanks for understanding!!!!

If I get a chance later I will PM you some of the details of our trip.

Have a great day!!!! :goodvibes

emilee&tylersmom said:
Lives4Disney
Unfortunately even though we were told on the phone by many CM's that the parks would have the enlarged maps, none did. Guest services at Magic Kingdom told me that they have not had them in years.

I have visited each of the parks guest services locations in the last 6 months specifically asking about enlarged maps and there were none available. There is a braille guidebook that you can use; it is free but requires a deposit.

Deb Wills
Co-Author Passporter WDW for Your Special Needs

My daughter is not even blind and there's no way she'd be the one explaining a GAC to a CM when she was 9. Not all children are the same. Now *I* on the other hand might have at 9yrs old (but I wasn't blind either! that does make a difference too) but I was very outgoing and a lot more mature at that age than she is (by necessity- oldest child and already babysitting my siblings- times were different back then LOL).

I think that was wrong of the CMs to ask you to explain. That's what the card is and they don't make the decision if you need it or not at each entrance- that's what guest services has already done! I probably would have just said sweetly- isn't that what this card tells you so we don't have to explain at each ride? *smile* LOL But I'm glad most CMs didn't give you a hard time. How wonderful her most memorable trip ever! That's great! :)

emilee&tylersmom said:
Emilee has been to Disney many times (this is our first trip since she started to lose her eyesight) and I believe it was her most memorable trip ever. :teeth:

I am glad to read you all had a memorable trip to WDW. That is very special for everyone.

Sometimes the CMs need to know a little more to be able to figure out how to "translate" what the GAC card says to their particular attraction. The instructions on the card are rather general and some attractions don't have all the ability to accomidate that other attractions do. They might sometimes need more information to figure out how to make the accomidations they have available fit the things you need.
That doesn't sound like what happened in this situation though. If the CMs say anything, it should be more of a "I need a little more information to best meet your needs" or "We don't have the accomidation available that is on your card. Can you help me figure out what you need so we can find the best things to help you". This sounded more like "I don't think you need this."

SueM in MN said:
Can you help me figure out what you need so we can find the best things to help you". This sounded more like "I don't think you need this."

While it does sound like this guest had some CM problems, there are other possibilities.

At Tarzan Rocks, the CMs may have been asking about her disability to best suit her needs, as you said. There is limited "front of theater" seating for wheelchair guests, so they probably asked to make sure your party of 8 didn't need that particular section. Also the way the theater is designed, the front row isn't always the "best" row for someone with limited sight, as they have to look "up" to see all the action, and sitting back just a few rows gives a much better view.

As far as being denied the alternate entrance...it also depends on the ride, perhaps the CM was trying to see if there was a "physical need" for the alternate entrance, as sometime those waits can be much linger than the regular queue, and they also sometime bypass a cute pr-show area that the CM thought your family may enjoy. Also occasionally, depending on the ride, there simply isn't room for a party of 8 to stay together in the alternate entrance area.

Of course, it's possible that you did simply get rude CMs, but without any of us hearing the conversation and tone of the responses, it's hard to say for sure. And the CMs should have started the conversation by explaining why they were asking, especially if this guest was was using the GAC for the first time and may have not known the reason for the questions.

Just a question. Was it at Pirates that you were denied the alternate entrance? We were denied many times for an alternate entrance there. Then one time we went and a very nice CM took us a different way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter