Our First Trip to SSR - a few questions

pjstevens

Had our DFTW Vow Renewal on the Wonder
We have owned DVC for five years and always stay at our 'home' Animal Kingdom Kidani. Due to the late planning, just booked today, we will be staying at SSR in August. Having only been there once for dinner years ago, what can you share with me. Any suggestions on which area to 'request' when we do our online check in? Suggestions on what to do there, see there. Already counting down (and have to update my ticker!!!). 82 days!

We love the "springs" area.. close to hospitality and main pool.. first bus pickup, etc.. you can rent bikes and carts, paddleboats.. enjoy the spa, pools, etc.. we love SSR!!!

We love the "springs" area.. close to hospitality and main pool.. first bus pickup, etc.. you can rent bikes and carts, paddleboats.. enjoy the spa, pools, etc.. we love SSR!!!

Actually, The Grandstand section is the first bus stop for theme park buses.

If you are in the Congress Park or Paddock section it is an easy walk to DTD for some shopping and dining. The boat ride to DTD can be a nice way to get there also. The pools at Springs(main pool), Paddock and Grandstand all have some splash type play areas for children. Grandstand has first bus pick up for everything except DTD which is the Springs stop. Have a great trip - will also be there in August unless a waitlist comes through which is really doubtful.

Someone said if I want 'quiet' to try and get something by the 'new pool' but she didn't say which area that was. Any idea which area that is?

Someone said if I want 'quiet' to try and get something by the 'new pool' but she didn't say which area that was. Any idea which area that is?

The Paddock section has the new pool. Its a nice pool and it has a very nice water play area for younger kids. It also has a very nice snack bar that serves breakfast items in the morning and lunch items starting at mid day.

The Paddock area of SSR is less than a 10 minute walk to the SSR Carriage House where Artist Palette and the Turf Club, as well as the SSR Community Hall, are located. There are several nice walking and jogging paths in the Paddock area (actually, all SSR areas have nice walking and jogging paths).

I'm hesitant to use the word 'quiet' to describe the immediate area around the Paddock pool. If you have a villa that directly faces the Paddock Pool, then you'll definitely hear the kids and adults playing in the pool and water play area. Its not an annoying noise, but its not what I would call quiet. If your villa doesn't face the pool, then you will have a very quiet atmosphere.

Here are a couple photos of the Paddock Pool.
file-77.jpg

file-78.jpg

Thank you for the info.

Thank you for this thread. We are going in to SSR for the first time in November. We there will be eight of us (four adults and four kids (6, 4, 3, 8months). This helps with our planning.

"Best" area in SSR is very dependent on who is in your group.

Adults only -- Congress Park has the quietest pool area and views of Downtown Disney

Infants and toddlers -- Grandstand area has brightly themed splash area and is the first bus stop; downside is distance to Artists' Palette and esp. distance to theme pools, which is probably less of an issue for families w little ones

Older children -- new Paddock pool was designed to appeal to families to compensate for distance to Artists' Palette and other facilities. Springs area is nearest to AP with less elaborate theme pool

SSR has evolved to have options for every type of vacation group-

Enjoy your trip cush1 and pjstevens!

"Best" area in SSR is very dependent on who is in your group.

Adults only -- Congress Park has the quietest pool area and views of Downtown Disney

Enjoy your trip cush1 and pjstevens!

Thank you!!!! As adults only (just dh and I), I appreciate the tips! Now that we've rented a car, I'm not going to be concerned about the buses. I like the sounds of the quite and views of DTD.

We were surprised at how much we really enjoyed SSR. Although we are making our way around all DVC resorts, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The main pool was one of our favorites and Artist's Palette is one a really good counter-service restaurants since it has plenty of seating and a decent selection of food. We also really enjoyed Turf Club, despite its somewhat limited menu.

My only issue with SSR was that the bus was sometimes so full, we had to wait until the next bus. We stayed in the Springs section and although that had great access to the hospitality house, the bus issue was one that we were really surprised to encounter. At the time, I was told that many people would park at DTD and hop over the SSR and take the internal bus system to avoid the parking fees at the main lots. Not sure if that still holds true - but there is nothing worse that waiting for a bus for 45 minutes. I think the best way to avoid that is to stay in another section since the Springs was the only one that seemed to have that issue.

Been here all week in the Grandstand area - it always surprises me how everyone thinks it is the farthest from the main lobby/eatery, when it is really, really close. We are in the farthest building on the edge of Grandstand, and it is so quiet here - haven't seen a soul all week on our floor (third floor building 90), just at the bus stop. Literally 2-3 minute walk to the front, there is a path beside our nice, quiet pool here, beautiful golf views, and the DVC ferry is even closer than the front to walk to - love this area!

We had our first trip to SSR last year and loved it so much we went and bought an add-on to our DVC!

We stayed in the paddocks area so had easy access to the paddocks pool which has a handy QS offering and drinks refill. However I didn't think the walk to Artsists pallette was very far at all and I loved the walk to DTD. I found it quite refreshing to have a proper stroll rather than just a theme-park shuffle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter