* Our Surprise Dream Cruise * TR Jan. 22-26, 2012

Glitzytraveller

Mouseketeer
:goodvibes

Greetings!

I have been reading all of the wonderful Cruise Reports here and I thought now that our cruise is over :sad2: I would share our story. First, here is a list of our crew:

Me (35)
DH (43)
DS (9)
DD (7)

DisneyCruiseandMore067.jpg

Let me tell you a little history to give you some of our Dis-background. DH and I both grew up in So. Cal very close to the Land of the Mouse (aka Disneyland). We have both been Disney fans since birth. My first visit to Disneyland was when I was just 10 months old. When I was 14 years old my parents took me and my sister on The Big Red Boat. This was the original Disney Cruise that was owned by Premier Cruises and sponsored by Disney. Old ship, not great. But we did have a lot of fun. And, even though we were Disneyland frequenters, that trip was my first ever visit to WDW.

When DH and I got married, we had a Cinderella themed wedding (little did I know then that DH had a little crush on "Cindy" :rolleyes:). We took a Disney land/sea honeymoon. We sailed on the Wonder which was just a year old at the time. At that time we were hooked on DCL and vowed that when we had kids and they were old enough, we would sail DCL again. Who knew it would take 11 1/2 years :eek:!
cptmickey.jpg

disneyisland.jpg

Our Honeymoon on Disney Wonder

Since we lived in California, our kids didn't miss out on growing up Disney. We had annual passes to Disneyland and took DS on his first trip to WDW when he was 10 months old.
familyentrance.jpg
He loved it! Because of our annual passes, we frequented Disneyland several times a month. When DD was just 9 days old, we took her to Disneyland for the day. Don't judge, because I always said that those people who bring infants to Disneyland are crazy. But, we were bored that day and we had passes. I spent most of the day in the infant care centers feeding her while DH and DS went on rides. It was perfect.

After many years of being Disneyland Passport holders we moved to North Carolina in 2006. Love NC, but miss Disneyland :sad1:

So we took the kids to WDW in 2008.
disneyjamaica016.jpg

They loved it of course. We went again this past fall for a few days when I had a conference to attend in Orlando.

On a whim, DH and I found a deal on a VGT room on the Jan. 22, 2016 4-day Bahamas Dream Cruise. We just couldn't pass it up. We decided to keep it a secret from the kids and surprise them on the day of the cruise. I love surprises, but I have a hard time keeping it a surprise. This was tough since we had to keep it a secret for two whole months (and through Christmas at that!):scared1:.

But we did it!

Stay tuned to hear how we surprised them...

Links to my TR:
The Surprise...Well, kinda.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43866230&postcount=3
The Big Surprise Day! http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44005834&postcount=16
Finally On Board! http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44030974&postcount=24
I'm Back...http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44255389&postcount=31
Nassau http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46233009&postcount=38

So, the kids had been on Winter break since Dec. 22 and were due to go back to school on Monday, Jan. 23rd. They had been asking to go to the local Lego Store for weeks. DH and I decided to tell them we were going to the Lego Store on Saturday (Jan. 21). But, we would drive to the airport instead. Once the kids figured out we were at the airport and not the Lego Store, we were going to tell them that we didn't say which Lego Store we were going to. We were going to play off that we were going to just fly down to Florida for the night so we could visit the Lego Store at Downtown Disney. They have been there before and DH works for the airline (hint, hint: free flying) so it was believable that we would just go for one night. The plan worked like a charm. Check out the video of surprise #1:
http://youtu.be/EW6ndCy6bzU

They bought it and we were on our way to Orlando. We rented a car in Orlando from Budget. We did a one-way rental to PC and used a discount code I found on AllEars. Super rate of just $20 for the one day rental. Great tip I picked up from these boards. We also used some airline miles we had to get a FREE room at the Ramada Gateway in Kissimmee. It was right at the entrance to WDW. Trust me, I am a coupon queen. So if it is Free, it's for ME! I could probably write a whole other blog on doing DCL cheap!

We did go straight to Downtown Disney after checking into the hotel and after eating a quick dinner at Subway (I had a gift card - says the coupon queen. Which now that I think about it, from here on out I will put a "CQ" where ever I post a Coupon Queen Tip :thumbsup2).
012.jpg

Almost there...

While at DTD, we went into various shops including the Lego Store :cheer2:. They both made their prized purchases. After all, that is why we were here, right???;););)
We also visited World of Disney where DD got sprinkled with pixie dust that I still can't get out of her hair even after many washings.
DH and I hit the margarita bar where I used my Disney Gift Card to buy us some adult beverages :thumbsup2. "CQ": Purchase Disney Gift Cards in advanced at Target and use your Red Card to get a discount. Another great tip I found on Disboards!

Then it was back to the hotel to go to bed. We had a big day tomorrow ;). DS and DD thought we were going to check out the beach before we flew home that day...

Great start! Your family is just lovely. I wish I could surprise my family but I get so overcome with excitement I just can't stop blabbering on about it. :rotfl:

What an awesome surprise! A trip your children will surely always remember!

Excited to follow along as we just booked a trip for 2013 on the Fantasy, which I imagine is similar to the Dream.

We also relocated to NC (2007). Love it here!

your experience is probably exactly like ours. wife and I plus our dd(8) and dd(10). we drove down on the 20th from NC and stayed in daytona beach at the hampton inn. it was perfect, woke up sunday morning and easy 1 hour trip to the dream.

we also did the vgt, and scored 4A(forget letter) on the 9 deck. our first cruise with the kids and our first since honeymoon. everything about it was great - nothing to complain about except they should have a popcorn machine next to the soda fountains plus needed some nachos from rooom service. everything exceeded expectations.

we then did the long haul back to charlotte on the 26th so the kids could be back in school friday. 3 days out of school was some guilt, but four wouldnt have passed wife.

look forward to seeing your full report.

Love the pics thru the yrs and im trying to become cq myself so ill take every tip you can think of! Cant wait to hear more about your trip!

My kids acted all reserve as well! I was the one shaking and smiling from ear to ear.:rotfl:

Oh I love this surprise trip! I can not wait to read more!!!

I am following too! My DS who is 3 also has epilepsy "controlled" by meds. He was 1 1/2 on our first cruise and I was sooo nervous that he would have a bad seizure on the cruise (he didn't)! My son is on keppra and depaktoe.

Loving your TR and all your great money saving tips! Your family is adorable! Can't wait to hear more! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter