Overnighting in South Alabama/Georgia

FredS

DIS Veteran
Making our first trip with travel trailer to Disney. Depending on our route, we will be either in south Alabama or south Georgia area when we likely should plan to spend the night on the way to Ft. Wilderness.

Any experiences, either positive or negative, to help us decide where to stay (or not stay) on the way? Thanks!

If you are looking for a motel room, Valdosta, GA, has tons of motel rooms. If you are overnighting in the trailer, we often overnight in the motorhome at the Flying J--there are 3 along I-75 in GA.

Just my $.02!

Sorry my post wasn't clear. I am definitely asking about places to spend the night in the camper. I recall a previous poster (somewhere on the disboards) mentioning staying at some rest areas on the way, and was very interested in those or any other areas that can accommodate campers.

Thanks!

In our travels, have not seen any rest areas that accomodate TT's. There are plenty of campgrounds along the way and you'll often find one just off the interstate. We usually pay around $20/night. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but not by much. We purchased a Woodall's campground directory and it has helped us immensely! Of course, you can always do your homework on line and have a printout before you leave. I assume you are coming from the west? We come from the north and stay at a great overnight place in GA. I'd have to look up the name it you want it.:D

I've never done more than nap at a rest area, so I can't help you there, but we always overnight at the Flying J's. You can go to their website to find all the locations.

We either pull into a space or pull along the curb by the large grassy area (with all the other motorhomes and travel trailers) shop a little, cook and eat dinner, watch a movie and hit the sack. It may be a little noisy but with the generator running we never hear a thing.

We feel quite safe doing this and do not need/want the amenities offered by a campground. My 70something year old mother went last summer and even she felt safe!

PM me if you have any specific questions, and have fun planning!

campingcorgi,

I'm wondering about our pop-up. Have you seen anyone do that at Flyin'J? Or is that much setup pushing their hospitality?

In case anyone doesn't live near one, the gas prices at the Flying J near us is always the lowest around, and sometimes by as much as ten cents

BTW, I have also seen campers in WalMart's parking lot

Micki

I've never seen a set-up popup at a Flying J. I'm afraid it may be a little loud with all the trucks and traffic. Don't know that they'd mind, though. You would not be as big as a Class A towing a car!

There's a nice KOA in Atlanta, GA. Just be sure to ask for a level site if you stop there as some of their sites are at pretty steep angles. It's a very quiet & pretty campground.

I will be on the same plan but I have a pop up and don't want to pop up for just one night. What / where are "SAFE" motels near the GA/FL state line?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter