First, to magic band or not to magic band?

Second, genie plus? Is it really needed? It's so complicated!! Also, my husband mentioned that he didn't want to be racing all around the parks the whole time and doesn't think our daughter would enjoy that either.

Third, is going in later September a good time to go. I've read conflicting information.

I booked Art of Animation because my daughter wants the LM rooms but I am now realizing how far they are from lobby, busses and skyliner. However, the family suites are just not in our price range. I hope AoA is a good selection!

I'm sure there is more but that's what on my mind for now. Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!!

We don't plan on buying new bands. At $30+ per person, I dont think its worth it for our trip especially if you dont know the next time you'll be back at WDW. You can ask the front desk for a card that does the same stuff, only issue is you have to pull it from your pocket all the time.

I think Genie+ is worth it at MK and HS. Those parks fill up quick and can have longer lines. AK and EP, you can get away with buying individual LL's. Youll be going at a lower crowd season so thats what I would do.

September is HOT but crowds are generally lower. If the heat doesn't bother you, go for it.

Genie+, we use it judiciously, it makes the most sense in MK and DHS though. My sister did her trip without it, but she rope dropped every day, would take a break, and then would close out the parks. You do need to be willing to wait in long-ish lines though, or lines that may end up being longer than planned. I do recommend the ILL for Rise of the Resistance though, it's too unreliable to risk a standby wait on.

Sorry, probably just not understanding, but why would I be waiting in long lines with Genie + ? Isn't that the whole point of paying for it, to avoid the long lines?

I have just booked for August 2025 (13th for 13 nights - that sounds double unlucky!) 😁

Only been once in September, it was humid but I don't remember too much rain. The crowds were extremely low for us, I would not have needed Genie+. I last visited late August 2022 and only bought them for MK and HS. We rope drop every morning though, so head to the popular attractions in 30 mins early opening timeframe.

I love a magic band, and wouldn't feel like I'm in Disney without one on my wrist, but that's just personal choice. As others have mentioned, using it for charging, door, park entry is so much easier. We keep them as souvenirs. In 2022 I took one with me from a 2017 trip and it still worked 👍

I stayed in a LM room, albeit for only one night way back. The resort theming is amazing for youngsters, and the room was nice and quiet. I didn't mind the walk to main pool and hub, but the quiet pool was closer to LM rooms if you just want a peaceful cool down in the water. I can't comment on the bus stops as we had a hire car.

Hello everyone! I'm am super excited that our first family vacation to WDW has been booked for September 2025!! It'll be my husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself on this vacation. I have been doing a lot of research, video watching and such and (I've gone to WDW a few times in the past with my sister) so much has changed and I feel so overwhelmed!

Second, genie plus? Is it really needed? It's so complicated!! Also, my husband mentioned that he didn't want to be racing all around the parks the whole time and doesn't think our daughter would enjoy that either.

Third, is going in later September a good time to go. I've read conflicting information.

I booked Art of Animation because my daughter wants the LM rooms but I am now realizing how far they are from lobby, busses and skyliner. However, the family suites are just not in our price range. I hope AoA is a good selection!

I'm sure there is more but that's what on my mind for now. Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!!
Well I guess you figured it out, you can ask the same question to ten people and get seven different answers. lol. They all do it differently. Weather, September, beginning of October is hurricane hot season. It may or may not affect your trip. It’s still wet season, chances are it’s going to rain every day, not for long but chance are is going to rain. Come prepared with rain gear.
Crowds, if it’s not walk on, people say it’s crowded. If the line is wrapped around the building some people say it’s not bad.
Heat, it has to be 100/100 for me to look for AC, others look like they just got out of a shower at 80 degrees, low humidity.
It’s your first trip, I don’t use a travel agent, most people on the boards are season veterans and don’t need one, they like doing the planning themselves, But, it don’t cost you anymore, they will ask you a ton of questions to determine what you want out of your trip, you won’t see and do it all, been coming here since 73, moved here and work here and I still haven’t seen and done everything.
A t/an after determining what you are looking for, will make your reservations, dining, park and help you achieve what you’re looking to get done all at no extra cost to you. The place is huge, a lot going on.

Went earlier this year during the “lull” in the first week of February. To me, having not been there since the 90s, it was still quite busy. Did early entry each day and the lines were still very long. Other than the mad half-mile or so dash in Epcot to get to Frozen Ever After (which resulted in only an 8 minute or so wait) early entry was not that spectacular. Runaway Railway went down in HS, costing a decent chunk of EA time, while Navi went down in AK when we were halfway through the line, so that wasted the whole EA window and we had to move our breakfast reservations, while in MK, everything was just so busy - 40 minutes for Pooh and 45 minutes for Peter Pan type busy, even before the park officially opened.

To me, Genie+ was a lifesaver and money well spent. If it costs “100%” to go to Disney, I’d rather add an extra 5-10% and actually be able to go on rides as opposed to standing in line for 40 minutes here, 1 hour 40 minutes there, and then 2 hours 40 minutes over there.

I refused to purchase magic bands out of principle (to me; I get some people love them) and it worked great with just phone app and Key To The World (room key). Unless forced to do so, I have no plans of ever buying a magicband. Before we went, I remember reading how it’s a convenience thing to keep hands free, mulled it over and read reviews on most of the MB; a lot of negative reviews on them coming undone and falling off wrist. While I’m guessing that’s rare in the overall population (versus just those who write reviews) I’ll still just use my hand for the few seconds it takes to tap in.

Been going to WDW for 50 years literally. Always staying on property.
Things definitely are more confusing and complex.
To the point of being crazy. Disney crossed the line of fun being stressful.

Read all you can and watch YouTube helpful videos would be my suggestion to see what’s applicable to your family and situation.

One of our usual trips is September. Weather is usually hot and humid with rain. (Last hurricane came while we were at Boardwalk.). Disney handled it amazingly well for us.
Definitely have ponchos in your backpack even if cheap Dollar Tree ones. If forecast says no rain, it WILL rain. Honest.

Also toss thin windbreaker jackets in backpack.
When you walk into any dining place (even some attractions), air conditioning in insanely cold.
One year we got sick from insanely cold air blowing on us after being hot and sweaty.

Hello everyone! I'm am super excited that our first family vacation to WDW ... I feel so overwhelmed!
That's completely normal. I've been going to Universal and Disney for close to 20 years now, and it can still feel overwhelming.

I think the first thing to keep in mind is that you can't do everything. Unless you are going for 2 weeks, don't try. Pick out the things that interest you the most. Make a list of priorities. Let everything else go, or you will stress yourself out trying to run all around.

Second, don't forget to let kids have fun where they find it. You know what my kids' favorite thing was that we did on our 10 day trip? It was playing with a CM for hours in the Activity room at Kidani on a day we got rained in. Their second favorite, the Wildernesses Explorer's activity booths at AK. They also had favorite rides and shows and enjoyed meeting characters, but what stands out to them the most is the magical CM interaction they had. They ended up running into that same CM in the parks, and they continued to play and tease with him. They loved that he remembered them.

On that same note, I recommend having a list of non ride / non large attraction activities. There are lots of little things people pass up or don't know about that don't require waiting in a line, so when you need a bit of a break or if it gets crowded, you can fall back on these. A few ideas:
  • Scavenger hunts in MK and Epcot
  • Playgrounds & Splash-pads
  • Lots of interactive and hands-on exhibits people skip over at Epcot
  • Kid Cot stations and passport books for Epcot
  • Wilderness Explorers booths at AK
  • AK petting zoo
  • AK animal trails
  • AK art class
  • resort activities
  • just hanging by the pool
  • fun themed meals
  • character meets
  • parades
  • shows
Lastly, I remember when I went with my little sister on our very first trip, we had way too much planned. She was 11 and about half way into the trip, she just stopped walking and refused to move. Poor thing was exhausted. We scrapped the rest of the day's plans. I took her back to the hotel, and we took a 5 hour nap until dinner, so just make sure to plan in breaks and time to sleep. It is very easy to overdo it.

Over the years, I have gone with and without. I don't have a preference. I think these are the things to keep in mind when deciding:

Magic bands are great if you plan to take nothing else with you to the parks. You have it on your wrist, and you don't have to keep up with anything.

If you are taking a lanyard or bag anyway, I don't know that it offers any great benefit as you can easily keep up with a card in your wallet or in a lanyard.

Magic bands are great for swimming at the pool where you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on a wallet or room key and where it would be hard to swim with those items. I know you can buy water proof lanyards to wear while swimming, but they aren't that comfortable. I'd rather the band I can use at the pool bar and to get back into the room and not need to worry about my stuff sitting unattended.

Lanyards can sometimes be hard to reach a touch point or to be scanned without removing, a band or your arm is easier.

Magic bands may not fit all wrists well. I ordered a new one this trip because they had the Orange Bird, and I love him. Sadly, I wasn't thinking when I did it, and now I'm not sure I will even be able to wear it. I have very small wrists. I usually wear my original thin band that doesn't have a puck inside it as the new ones with pucks are larger and don't fit me as well.

You can remove the puck out of the band and place it in a lanyard. They sell some cute ones on Etsy that are made to hold the pucks, so if you are wanting the extra features of the new bands, but don't want to wear a band around your wrist, that's another option. We got Star Wars ones one trip.

Magic Bands have a few extra interactive features if you care about that.

New Magic Bands have to be charged.

Magic Bands are no longer free. You have to pay, and they aren't cheap from $34 to $60+ dollars.

Overall, I don't think having or not having a band is going to make any real difference to your enjoyment of the trip. It will just be a personal preference. You can also always buy one once you arrive if you are undecided and want to see how it goes without one first.

Yes, it is incredibly complicated. This is my first trip with it, and I'm just as confused and overwhelmed as you. I'll tell you what is helping me decide. I have a subscription to Touring Plans. I highly recommend doing this for a first trip. It's $25 and well worth it considering what you are paying for a trip.

You can create custom touring plans. These are amazing for figuring out how much you can fit in in a day. You can use the custom plans in two different ways. You can tell TP what you want to do in what order, and it will tell you exactly how long that will take, or you can just give it a list of things you want to do, and it will tell you the best order for the least amount of waiting. You can tell TP your walking speed. You can tell it to prioritze walking over waiting or vice versa. You can even schedule in meals and breaks as well. It even gives you everything plotted out on a map.

The other thing that it does is give you estimated LL return times. For example, it tells me that if you book a LL at 3:00 for ride A, it will mostly likely return you a time around 6:00. Whereas, if you book one for ride B at 3:00, it will return you one for around 3:30. It will also tell you if the LL are usually all gone by that time as well.

This is really helping me determine if I need Genie+ on each of my days or not. I thought I wanted it for our EPCOT day, but the way I have it currently planned, it looks like Remy is the only LL I could get that I would need, and there's no gauarentee I will get that one with it selling out in seconds. Most everything else is selling out too soon for me to use LL the way my day is planned, or they are attractions that don't need LL or ones I'm not interested in. So now I have to decide if it is worth it for one ride or not.

I also found the informational blogs and examples on TP super helpful in finally understanding how it all works. There are a number of different articles that break everything down and give great examples of different ways to use LL to your advantage.

I highly recommend checking it out becuase exactly what you plan to do when is going to dictate if Genie+ is a good idea or not. There's no other way to determine it. It would be aweful to buy Genie+ and see that everything you want to ride is unavailable.

Here's the thing. There's no way to know anymore. Septemember is traditionally less crowded, but there's simply no gauarentee. I just came back from an awful trip to Universal in Febraury that should have had the parks empty, and they were packed. More crowded than I have seen them in the summer, so you just never know. The way I look at it is it may be less crowded or it may not be, but at least you have the chance that it might be less.

Now for weather, it will be hot and humid. I'm from the south. It was hot and humid at my house this Friday, horribly so. I opened the door and about got knocked over from the humidity; it was so thick. I said, nope, shut the door and stayed inside. That's how it will be. If you are prepared for it, you'll be fine. It doesn't phase us becuase we are used to it. If you are hot-natured, and struggle with temps in the high 70s and 80s, this might not be the best time to go. Temps can easily be in the high 90s with 100% humidity.

You're also going to have rain. That can actually be a good thing, though. It rains and people run away. If you are willing to wear a poncho and stick it out, you can find shorter waits. Plus, getting a little wet can feel nice if it has been hot enough out. It's the being soaked and then going into the airconditioning that kills you, so keep that in mind and bring rain gear.

The main risk is tropical storms and hurricains. I mentioned we got rained-in on our trip. It was in September. Rain storms usually roll in and out quite quickly each afternoon, but if there is a big storm, it can hit hard which is what happened to us. It poured non-stop. Everything was flooded. There was very bad lightning, rain you couldn't see through, and a transformer blew up when lightning struck it. It simply wasn't safe to go to the parks, so we ended up having 1.5 days where we were just stuck inside at the resort. I guess we could have waided through floood water. It was only about ankle high, but I would never suggest that. People don't realize how contaminated flood water is. Plus, the lightning. Still, we had a great time at the resort, and like I mentoined earlier, this is my kids' favorite memory, so it didn't ruin the trip or anything.

You should just be mentally prepared for the possibility of weather related interruptions. Have indoor back-up plans.

I would go when the time works best for your family and when Disney has something going on that interests you over trying to hit a low crowd time which just doesn't exist anymore like it used to. Is there a certain holiday or festival your family would enjoy? We did May for Star Wars days once years ago, and that was great. Seeing the parks decorated for Halloween or Christmas is also great. I love mid December trips when the weather is cooler and everything is decorated, and there are special Christmas events going on. Some people are interested in the different festivals at EPCOT throughout the year. I would pick a date that features something that interests you and just try to avoid major holidays as far as crowds, so if September works, go for it, but don't feel like you hvae to pick September to have a good time or lowers crowds. TP has a great crowd calender you can look at to see forcasted crowds and past dates.

I booked Art of Animation because my daughter wants the LM rooms but I am now realizing how far they are from lobby, busses.

Honestly, all Dinsey resorts are incredibly spread out, so I'm not sure you will find much closer. The Little Mermaid rooms are not that much farther away from the lobby than rooms at other resorts.

Google says it's only a 6 minute walk from the Little Mermaid central pool area to the Skyliner, and 9 minutes from farthest room at the back to the skyliner. 10 minutes from pool area to the lobby and bus. For Disney, that's pretty standard, maybe even on the shorter side. Only a few of the deluxe resorts are going to have shorter walks.

We stay at Universal all the time and have a 15 to 20 minute walk to the parks, and it isn't bad at all. At AK, we had a 15 to 20 minute walk to the room from the bus and lobby, so 6 minutes is nothing. I wouldn't stress over that. I feel like a 15 minute walk from my room to the bus stop has been pretty standard on most of my trips at different Disney resorts.

But if 10 minutes to bus / lobby is too long, I will offer an alternative. On my upcoming trip, we are staying in the Royal (princess) rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Google says it is about a 6 minute walk from those rooms to the lobby and bus stop, and at least for my dates, they were priced about the same as AoA. I actually think AoA might hvae been a tiny more expensive. They aren't Ariel themeed, but they have touches from all the princesses, and the headboards have animated light up fireworks you can turn on. Might convince your daughter to switch.

This is also another area where TP might help you. They have a room finder section that helps you figure out the best buildings and sections to request to be closest to your preferences.

One last thing to keep in mind is that it is only about a minute longer to walk to the Pop Century bus stop as it is to the Art of Animation bus stop if you are in the back rooms. This means you can use either bus to return at the end of the night without a longer walk which is great becuase it gives you more options for catching a bus back quicker. There also aren't multiple bus stops which is nice. The larger resorts have more stops, but they aren't any closer to the rooms, and you have to wait to stop at each which makes the trip take longer.

Sorry, probably just not understanding, but why would I be waiting in long lines with Genie + ? Isn't that the whole point of paying for it, to avoid the long lines?

I was saying my sister did an entire trip without paying for Genie+. But even with Genie+, you may have to experience a wait at Epcot if you're not there for early theme park entry. It's just very difficult to get Frozen, Test Track and Remy all on Genie+. You'd need to knock one of them off in early theme park entry.

I was saying my sister did an entire trip without paying for Genie+. But even with Genie+, you may have to experience a wait at Epcot if you're not there for early theme park entry. It's just very difficult to get Frozen, Test Track and Remy all on Genie+. You'd need to knock one of them off in early theme park entry.

Thanks. That makes prefect sense.

I just figured this out when I was messing with Touring Plans this weekend. I was thinking about Genie + for EPCOT, but I realized exactly what you are talking about. It's kind of catch 22. If you go for Remy, Frozen, or Test Track, you'll most likely get a return time for late afternoon, evening. This means you are stuck and can't book anything else until 11:00. You might get a second one of the three at 11, might not, but that time will also be for late, so you can't book again until 1:00. By then, it looks like everything worth having is gone, or you don't need it, so you are paying for 1 maybe 2 rides.

That's completely normal. I've been going to Universal and Disney for close to 20 years now, and it can still feel overwhelming.

I think the first thing to keep in mind is that you can't do everything. Unless you are going for 2 weeks, don't try. Pick out the things that interest you the most. Make a list of priorities. Let everything else go, or you will stress yourself out trying to run all around.

Second, don't forget to let kids have fun where they find it. You know what my kids' favorite thing was that we did on our 10 day trip? It was playing with a CM for hours in the Activity room at Kidani on a day we got rained in. Their second favorite, the Wildernesses Explorer's activity booths at AK. They also had favorite rides and shows and enjoyed meeting characters, but what stands out to them the most is the magical CM interaction they had. They ended up running into that same CM in the parks, and they continued to play and tease with him. They loved that he remembered them.

On that same note, I recommend having a list of non ride / non large attraction activities. There are lots of little things people pass up or don't know about that don't require waiting in a line, so when you need a bit of a break or if it gets crowded, you can fall back on these. A few ideas:
  • Scavenger hunts in MK and Epcot
  • Playgrounds & Splash-pads
  • Lots of interactive and hands-on exhibits people skip over at Epcot
  • Kid Cot stations and passport books for Epcot
  • Wilderness Explorers booths at AK
  • AK petting zoo
  • AK animal trails
  • AK art class
  • resort activities
  • just hanging by the pool
  • fun themed meals
  • character meets
  • parades
  • shows
Lastly, I remember when I went with my little sister on our very first trip, we had way too much planned. She was 11 and about half way into the trip, she just stopped walking and refused to move. Poor thing was exhausted. We scrapped the rest of the day's plans. I took her back to the hotel, and we took a 5 hour nap until dinner, so just make sure to plan in breaks and time to sleep. It is very easy to overdo it.

Over the years, I have gone with and without. I don't have a preference. I think these are the things to keep in mind when deciding:

Magic bands are great if you plan to take nothing else with you to the parks. You have it on your wrist, and you don't have to keep up with anything.

If you are taking a lanyard or bag anyway, I don't know that it offers any great benefit as you can easily keep up with a card in your wallet or in a lanyard.

Magic bands are great for swimming at the pool where you don't have to worry about keeping an eye on a wallet or room key and where it would be hard to swim with those items. I know you can buy water proof lanyards to wear while swimming, but they aren't that comfortable. I'd rather the band I can use at the pool bar and to get back into the room and not need to worry about my stuff sitting unattended.

Lanyards can sometimes be hard to reach a touch point or to be scanned without removing, a band or your arm is easier.

Magic bands may not fit all wrists well. I ordered a new one this trip because they had the Orange Bird, and I love him. Sadly, I wasn't thinking when I did it, and now I'm not sure I will even be able to wear it. I have very small wrists. I usually wear my original thin band that doesn't have a puck inside it as the new ones with pucks are larger and don't fit me as well.

You can remove the puck out of the band and place it in a lanyard. They sell some cute ones on Etsy that are made to hold the pucks, so if you are wanting the extra features of the new bands, but don't want to wear a band around your wrist, that's another option. We got Star Wars ones one trip.

Magic Bands have a few extra interactive features if you care about that.

New Magic Bands have to be charged.

Magic Bands are no longer free. You have to pay, and they aren't cheap from $34 to $60+ dollars.

Overall, I don't think having or not having a band is going to make any real difference to your enjoyment of the trip. It will just be a personal preference. You can also always buy one once you arrive if you are undecided and want to see how it goes without one first.

Yes, it is incredibly complicated. This is my first trip with it, and I'm just as confused and overwhelmed as you. I'll tell you what is helping me decide. I have a subscription to Touring Plans. I highly recommend doing this for a first trip. It's $25 and well worth it considering what you are paying for a trip.

You can create custom touring plans. These are amazing for figuring out how much you can fit in in a day. You can use the custom plans in two different ways. You can tell TP what you want to do in what order, and it will tell you exactly how long that will take, or you can just give it a list of things you want to do, and it will tell you the best order for the least amount of waiting. You can tell TP your walking speed. You can tell it to prioritze walking over waiting or vice versa. You can even schedule in meals and breaks as well. It even gives you everything plotted out on a map.

The other thing that it does is give you estimated LL return times. For example, it tells me that if you book a LL at 3:00 for ride A, it will mostly likely return you a time around 6:00. Whereas, if you book one for ride B at 3:00, it will return you one for around 3:30. It will also tell you if the LL are usually all gone by that time as well.

This is really helping me determine if I need Genie+ on each of my days or not. I thought I wanted it for our EPCOT day, but the way I have it currently planned, it looks like Remy is the only LL I could get that I would need, and there's no gauarentee I will get that one with it selling out in seconds. Most everything else is selling out too soon for me to use LL the way my day is planned, or they are attractions that don't need LL or ones I'm not interested in. So now I have to decide if it is worth it for one ride or not.

I also found the informational blogs and examples on TP super helpful in finally understanding how it all works. There are a number of different articles that break everything down and give great examples of different ways to use LL to your advantage.

I highly recommend checking it out becuase exactly what you plan to do when is going to dictate if Genie+ is a good idea or not. There's no other way to determine it. It would be aweful to buy Genie+ and see that everything you want to ride is unavailable.

Here's the thing. There's no way to know anymore. Septemember is traditionally less crowded, but there's simply no gauarentee. I just came back from an awful trip to Universal in Febraury that should have had the parks empty, and they were packed. More crowded than I have seen them in the summer, so you just never know. The way I look at it is it may be less crowded or it may not be, but at least you have the chance that it might be less.

Now for weather, it will be hot and humid. I'm from the south. It was hot and humid at my house this Friday, horribly so. I opened the door and about got knocked over from the humidity; it was so thick. I said, nope, shut the door and stayed inside. That's how it will be. If you are prepared for it, you'll be fine. It doesn't phase us becuase we are used to it. If you are hot-natured, and struggle with temps in the high 70s and 80s, this might not be the best time to go. Temps can easily be in the high 90s with 100% humidity.

You're also going to have rain. That can actually be a good thing, though. It rains and people run away. If you are willing to wear a poncho and stick it out, you can find shorter waits. Plus, getting a little wet can feel nice if it has been hot enough out. It's the being soaked and then going into the airconditioning that kills you, so keep that in mind and bring rain gear.

The main risk is tropical storms and hurricains. I mentioned we got rained-in on our trip. It was in September. Rain storms usually roll in and out quite quickly each afternoon, but if there is a big storm, it can hit hard which is what happened to us. It poured non-stop. Everything was flooded. There was very bad lightning, rain you couldn't see through, and a transformer blew up when lightning struck it. It simply wasn't safe to go to the parks, so we ended up having 1.5 days where we were just stuck inside at the resort. I guess we could have waided through floood water. It was only about ankle high, but I would never suggest that. People don't realize how contaminated flood water is. Plus, the lightning. Still, we had a great time at the resort, and like I mentoined earlier, this is my kids' favorite memory, so it didn't ruin the trip or anything.

You should just be mentally prepared for the possibility of weather related interruptions. Have indoor back-up plans.

I would go when the time works best for your family and when Disney has something going on that interests you over trying to hit a low crowd time which just doesn't exist anymore like it used to. Is there a certain holiday or festival your family would enjoy? We did May for Star Wars days once years ago, and that was great. Seeing the parks decorated for Halloween or Christmas is also great. I love mid December trips when the weather is cooler and everything is decorated, and there are special Christmas events going on. Some people are interested in the different festivals at EPCOT throughout the year. I would pick a date that features something that interests you and just try to avoid major holidays as far as crowds, so if September works, go for it, but don't feel like you hvae to pick September to have a good time or lowers crowds. TP has a great crowd calender you can look at to see forcasted crowds and past dates.

Honestly, all Dinsey resorts are incredibly spread out, so I'm not sure you will find much closer. The Little Mermaid rooms are not that much farther away from the lobby than rooms at other resorts.

Google says it's only a 6 minute walk from the Little Mermaid central pool area to the Skyliner, and 9 minutes from farthest room at the back to the skyliner. 10 minutes from pool area to the lobby and bus. For Disney, that's pretty standard, maybe even on the shorter side. Only a few of the deluxe resorts are going to have shorter walks.

We stay at Universal all the time and have a 15 to 20 minute walk to the parks, and it isn't bad at all. At AK, we had a 15 to 20 minute walk to the room from the bus and lobby, so 6 minutes is nothing. I wouldn't stress over that. I feel like a 15 minute walk from my room to the bus stop has been pretty standard on most of my trips at different Disney resorts.

But if 10 minutes to bus / lobby is too long, I will offer an alternative. On my upcoming trip, we are staying in the Royal (princess) rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Google says it is about a 6 minute walk from those rooms to the lobby and bus stop, and at least for my dates, they were priced about the same as AoA. I actually think AoA might hvae been a tiny more expensive. They aren't Ariel themeed, but they have touches from all the princesses, and the headboards have animated light up fireworks you can turn on. Might convince your daughter to switch.

This is also another area where TP might help you. They have a room finder section that helps you figure out the best buildings and sections to request to be closest to your preferences.

One last thing to keep in mind is that it is only about a minute longer to walk to the Pop Century bus stop as it is to the Art of Animation bus stop if you are in the back rooms. This means you can use either bus to return at the end of the night without a longer walk which is great becuase it gives you more options for catching a bus back quicker. There also aren't multiple bus stops which is nice. The larger resorts have more stops, but they aren't any closer to the rooms, and you have to wait to stop at each which makes the trip take longer.
Wow thank you so much for your response. After taking your suggestions to my husband and talking it all over I feel much better now. As our trip gets closer I will be sitting him and my daughter down to make out must do lists and go over menus and such. my sister also suggested the TP site and I do plan to do that starting in January of 2025. I feel a lot less stressed and I am determined to have fun planning our trip!

One more thing since you mentioned meals. Don’t try to schedule too many. You can easily fill up your day with meals and run out of time for everything else. Like attractions, pick a few special meals, and do Quick Service for the rest. I recommend not more than 1 per day, but even that is probably too much.

Table Service can eat up a huge chunk of your time. Plan at least 2 hours, plus travel time to and from. A Table Service meal can easily be a 3 or 4 hour break in your day.

My longest meal was 4 hrs not counting travel time, so we ended up using up over 5 hours of time from the point we left the resort room to the time we were back in the park. Had to wait for the bus and then long ride. Then, we waited over 2 hours to be seated. Then another hour to take our order and get food. That’s really rare, but don’t think you’ll be in and out in an hour, or that because you have a reservation, they will seat you immediately. The reservation lets you eat there. You still have to wait to be seated.

Let me give you an example. I’ve currently got a reservation for La Hacienda for 8:15. You can watch the evening EOCOT show from here at 9:00. My reservation is too late. I really need a 7:30 reservation to make sure I’m in and seated in a good spot. I should be able to get seated before 9:00 with my 8:15 reservation, but there’s no guarantee. I may not get in until after 9:00. The wait could be an hour during a popular sold out time when everyone else wants to get in to see the show during dinner as well. Luckily, I’ve had luck in the past catching last minute cancellations, so I’m going to keep trying.

Block out a good 2 or 3 hours for the meal. If you are in and out in less, great, you’ve got some free time.

Also, if you are going during a time they offer free dining packages that will make waits longer and reservations harder to get as more people book more meals than they normally would, so be aware of that.

To help us narrow things down and justify the high cost, we tend to try to pick meals that have something special about them, not just a sit down meal we could do at home.
  • Character meal
  • Meal that gets you in a park before it opens
  • Meal that gives you seating for a show or something to watch while you eat
  • Meal with over the top theming

The good thing is you have plenty of time to research options, make a list, and book early, so you can get exactly what you need.

My trip this time is last minute, so I’m having to search for cancellation. You won’t have that problem. TP even tells you how far out you need to book each restaurant to get a reservation, and for most restaurants, you can cancel and rebook no problem. There are only a few you can’t cancel without a fee. Everything else as long as you do it ahead of time you can cancel.

I recommend booking everything you want as early as possible, and then you can cancel if plans change or you change your mind.

TP also has a feature where you can type in a food, and it will pull up every restaurant that has that food and give you a description. I used it the other day to locate the quick service restaurant that had a specialty waffle I saw a picture of on a blog and want to try.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to try new things, especially if there’s a buffet. There are usually kid friendly options, and unless something has changed, adults can eat off the child’s buffet. You can’t order off the kids’ menu, though.

My family’s favorite restaurant is Tusker House, an African buffet. I never would have guessed that before we went. These are meat and potato people, but they loved it. So have fun and try something maybe you wouldn’t at home.

I don't go to Disney World multiple times a year, or even yearly, so I'm not a Disney expert. Our family vacation to Disney World last year was my first time down to Disney world in over years, my DW's first time since she was like, 5, and my DD's first time. Because it was like a first time for us. Like you, I did a lot of research before I went down, but more on that in a bit, but my recent trip did teach me a few things:

1) Magic Bands: We liked them. We liked, were even surprised at times, when they buzzed when we entered a land, or came across something. Never did understand why they would buzz at times, but it was still fun. I found them to be convenient when needed to use them to scan to get into the parks/rooms and what not. We didn't use them to pay for things, but it's there if you need it.

2) Genie+: My DW's a thrifty Yankee, and as such I was looking to save money where we could. Genie+ was one of those things we didn't get to save some money, and at the end of the trip I wish we had. In fact, during out last meal, we got to talking about what worked and what didn't. My DW said, "Next time buy Genie+ for you and E, our DD, to use and it'll save time standing in line for the rides that you two want to ride that I won't." So I would definitely get it for the MK and HS, if you plan of riding a lot in HS. I tried to plan out our day for early park entry and getting to some of the more popular rides first before moving on and it didn't work. Even though it can add up, do it at least for the one day you're going to be in the MK.

3) When I was in college I would go right before the semester started, so late August, and it was hot and humid. I would suspect, as other's have said, that Sept. will be hot.

Now back to the planning/researching. I love planning vacations. For me, it's fun researching all the things that we can do. Disney was no different. I had a blast researching for our trip in June of last year. I didn't go as far as planning out when and where we were going to be, but I had an idea of what I wanted to do and how to accomplish that. My plan was go utilize early entry to get to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, then head over to Peter Pan's Fight then go from there. Wait for it! BUT! That didn't happen. I know my DW and DD, and they are both late sleepers. That early entry thing didn't happen. We wound up getting to the MK by late morning, which blew my plan out of the water. What we wound up doing was just picking a land to start in, Adventure Land, and then going from there. I used the MDE app to see the wait times for the rides and attractions around me. If there was an attraction that had a lower wait time, and it was close by, we'd go and hit it.

So basically all this boils down to this: Don't stress over it. If your plans don't go as planned, then go with the flow. I've seen posts where people have complained that their vacation was ruined because they didn't get everything done. Its Disney World and you're there. Enjoy it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm am super excited that our first family vacation to WDW has been booked for September 2025!! It'll be my husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself on this vacation. I have been doing a lot of research, video watching and such and (I've gone to WDW a few times in the past with my sister) so much has changed and I feel so overwhelmed!

Did you book directly though Disney? I was trying to book through Costco for June 2025 and it wouldn't let me book anything past 2024.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter