M3fordisney

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I'm am super excited that our first family vacation to WDW has been booked for September 2025!! It'll be my husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself on this vacation. I have been doing a lot of research, video watching and such and (I've gone to WDW a few times in the past with my sister) so much has changed and I feel so overwhelmed!

First, to magic band or not to magic band?

Second, genie plus? Is it really needed? It's so complicated!! Also, my husband mentioned that he didn't want to be racing all around the parks the whole time and doesn't think our daughter would enjoy that either.

Third, is going in later September a good time to go. I've read conflicting information.

I booked Art of Animation because my daughter wants the LM rooms but I am now realizing how far they are from lobby, busses and skyliner. However, the family suites are just not in our price range. I hope AoA is a good selection!

I'm sure there is more but that's what on my mind for now. Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!!

September is normally hot and humid. The crowds are usually smaller . You can try to get around it by doing stuff in the morning and then going back out in the evening. Genie+ can be useful at HS and MK but don’t really need it for Epcot and AK. You can get a lot done using early entry to rope drop. I would maybe spring for the paid LL for Flights of Passage, Rise of the Resistance and Guardians of the Galaxy if there is no Virtual Queue in 2025 so you get to ride the top tier rides at least once.

AoA has great theming. The Skyliner is way better than the buses, but it does shut down for lightning so keep that in mind.

You are going to do a lot of walking so take some breaks in the ac like hop on living with the land in Epcot or Carousel of Progress in MK. Maybe make a list of your must dos. You aren’t going to do everything in all the parks so focus on your favorites and also give yourself time to enjoy a dole whip while sitting on a bench people watching.

Thank you for your response! I was afraid of the hot and humid thing but we really wanted the lower crowds. I, personally would love to go around the first week of December but my husband prefers September due to cost. What about the magic bands, are they worth the $?

Thank you for your response! I was afraid of the hot and humid thing but we really wanted the lower crowds. I, personally would love to go around the first week of December but my husband prefers September due to cost. What about the magic bands, are they worth the $?
I find it convenient to use the mb as my ticket, room key especially when going to the pool or the water park. They aren’t a must buy but you can get the solid color ones for a discounted price on the WDW website since you booked a room. The plus ones will interact with the fireworks shows, there’s a cool bounty hunter game in galaxy edge that needs a mb +. Also if you plan to go to Disneyland or do a Disney Cruise you can reuse your mb+. Since you have plenty of time, you can look at ShopDisney for marked downs on seasonal magic bands . Like you can probably get this year’s Halloween band after Halloween marked down and use it for Halloween 2025.

Our family has not been to Disney since pre-Covid. Going back in early 2025. I have been watching YouTube videos to check out the best way to tour the parks since Genie Plus came out. Ear Scouts and DFBGuide have been especially helpful. Whether or not to buy Genie Plus might depend on how many days you are going to be at the parks and what rides you want to go on.

Magic bands are not a necessity. You can easily buy a lanyard and case to keep your park ticket in or use your phone. However, they are convenient.

As to September-it is hot and humid, but when our kids were in school, we always went to Disney in the summer. We hit the parks at opening, soldiered on until about 12:30, went back to the hotel to swim and nap, and returned to the parks at about 5:00.

As others have said MB isn't necessary but they are convenient. I bought the least expensive ones and am happy we have them.

It will be hot and humid but if you plan for it, it is manageable. We've been on many summer trips. We always rope drop so we are in the park when it's less crowded and less hot. We alternate outside attractions and inside attractions. We typically book a table service lunch to get a break from walking and the heat, then do a few more things and leave the park. When my kids were younger, we often stayed in the park until around 3 and then left for the day. As they got older, we would leave a little earlier and then got back in early evening. You can also get cooling towels to put on your necks. Just bring them in a ziploc bag so once they are wet you have someplace to store them when not using them. We also bring one of those small battery operated fans and occasionally used them while standing in outside lines. Drink plenty of water. We bring two waters into the park for each of us and buy more if needed. Sometimes it's nice to get a cold bottle of water. You can also get free water in a cup at food locations.

Genie+ can be great to have and it sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad. There are also cm's under blue umbrellas who can assist you if you have a question or issue. We buy it for some days but not all. It is nice to have at MK since there are so many rides. If you use early entry and plan a strategy from your research that really makes a difference in what you can get done too.

8 is such a fun age for Disney. Have a blast!

You can also use your phone as your ticket. Apple Wallet - not sure what it's called for android. MB is not necessary. It was fun when they were included but it's not like you would miss some fantastic perk.

How long are you staying? I would think that determines your style of park going and the influence of Genie+.

You can't do every single thing so don't go into the trip stressed that you have to do everything. Take advantage of mornings and evenings. I do not do all day parks. I need a break. I am much happier that way, and therefore, my family is happier. :-)

You know how everyone is so go with that and take it easy. You will have a great time if you manage expectations. I suggest make a top 3 for each person in the group. A ride list or experience list. What you each want to do no matter what.

We prefer November or December over September- it’s hurricane season still in September and we’ve found the weather hot and unpredictable. We also prefer the Christmas decor over Halloween decor.

Yes on magic bands- super convenient and they can be reused on any future trip.

We always do genie +. It saves us a lot of time waiting in lines and it makes us feel less hurried because we can get more done not waiting in lines. It’s not really that complicated and there are lots of online resources.

MBs are a nice souvenir but not necessary, but if you're not going to use them, I recommend getting physical media over using the phone. Using the phone is efficient for one, maybe 2 people but once you get over that amount, it clogs up the line.

Genie+, we use it judiciously, it makes the most sense in MK and DHS though. My sister did her trip without it, but she rope dropped every day, would take a break, and then would close out the parks. You do need to be willing to wait in long-ish lines though, or lines that may end up being longer than planned. I do recommend the ILL for Rise of the Resistance though, it's too unreliable to risk a standby wait on.

I went in early October one year, it was fine...but Epcot will get bonkers crowded on festival weekends. And you'll need to plan around the halloween parties if seeing fireworks is important to you, if it's not, go to MK on a party day.

I've known plenty of people who have stayed in LM suites and enjoyed it, nobody I know has made the distance a primary complaint. Looking at the map, I'd stay there. The walk isn't that much longer than some of the walks I've done to the food court at Port Orleans Riverside.

As others have said MB isn't necessary but they are convenient. I bought the least expensive ones and am happy we have them.

It will be hot and humid but if you plan for it, it is manageable. We've been on many summer trips. We always rope drop so we are in the park when it's less crowded and less hot. We alternate outside attractions and inside attractions. We typically book a table service lunch to get a break from walking and the heat, then do a few more things and leave the park. When my kids were younger, we often stayed in the park until around 3 and then left for the day. As they got older, we would leave a little earlier and then got back in early evening. You can also get cooling towels to put on your necks. Just bring them in a ziploc bag so once they are wet you have someplace to store them when not using them. We also bring one of those small battery operated fans and occasionally used them while standing in outside lines. Drink plenty of water. We bring two waters into the park for each of us and buy more if needed. Sometimes it's nice to get a cold bottle of water. You can also get free water in a cup at food locations.

Genie+ can be great to have and it sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad. There are also cm's under blue umbrellas who can assist you if you have a question or issue. We buy it for some days but not all. It is nice to have at MK since there are so many rides. If you use early entry and plan a strategy from your research that really makes a difference in what you can get done too.

8 is such a fun age for Disney. Have a blast!
You can also use your phone as your ticket. Apple Wallet - not sure what it's called for android. MB is not necessary. It was fun when they were included but it's not like you would miss some fantastic perk.

How long are you staying? I would think that determines your style of park going and the influence of Genie+.

You can't do every single thing so don't go into the trip stressed that you have to do everything. Take advantage of mornings and evenings. I do not do all day parks. I need a break. I am much happier that way, and therefore, my family is happier. :-)

You know how everyone is so go with that and take it easy. You will have a great time if you manage expectations. I suggest make a top 3 for each person in the group. A ride list or experience list. What you each want to do no matter what.
We plan on staying 6 days. Tha ks for your response!! I am beginning Tobe a little less stressed about the trip. I pray for good weather!

MBs are a nice souvenir but not necessary, but if you're not going to use them, I recommend getting physical media over using the phone. Using the phone is efficient for one, maybe 2 people but once you get over that amount, it clogs up the line.

Genie+, we use it judiciously, it makes the most sense in MK and DHS though. My sister did her trip without it, but she rope dropped every day, would take a break, and then would close out the parks. You do need to be willing to wait in long-ish lines though, or lines that may end up being longer than planned. I do recommend the ILL for Rise of the Resistance though, it's too unreliable to risk a standby wait on.

I went in early October one year, it was fine...but Epcot will get bonkers crowded on festival weekends. And you'll need to plan around the halloween parties if seeing fireworks is important to you, if it's not, go to MK on a party day.

I've known plenty of people who have stayed in LM suites and enjoyed it, nobody I know has made the distance a primary complaint. Looking at the map, I'd stay there. The walk isn't that much longer than some of the walks I've done to the food court at Port Orleans Riverside.
Thank you! I think my husband wants to do the party so we would definitely plan our MK day that same day. I've already ordered some neck cooling towels and will make sure we have fans and water. My husband doesn't mind the heats but my daughter and I are not heat friendly! 😆

I'm going to be the odd one out on MagicBands and recommend you get at least one MagicBand+. They are pricey but I, an adult, get a huge kick out of the special effects when you are in some queues, exiting certain rides, and during the nighttime shows. Plus, there is interactivity such as Bounty Hunting on Batuu (Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios) via the Play Disney Parks app. Everyone else spoke about the convenience of having them, but these are just some added features I find super fun. The downsides to a MB+ are the charging and making sure it's set up so you can feel and see the effects, but when it works it's a lot of fun! Note that you all don't need one, so you can have one MB+ for your ticket and then just use key cards for your spouse and your child, or whatever combo works for you. I also recommend some little plastic sliders you can get on amazon to secure the MagicBand because sometimes they will unexpectedly pop off and you don't want to lose one of those pricey souvenirs!

To answer your other questions, you can look at old crowd calendars from Touring Plans to see what late September looked like the past few years. I would maybe get trip insurance in case there's a hurricane, unless your flights or mode of transportation are refundable. It will be hot, but others have offered good tips. Make sure to stay hydrated! And AoA is a good fit for a first timer especially with the Skyliner! Just be aware that if there is lightning the Skyliner will shut down.

Finally, if you haven't seen this yet, Halloween starts early at WDW. Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party occurs with regular frequency at Magic Kingdom from August to October. It is a paid event which is separate from a park day ticket, but a ticket to MNSSHP will typically allow entry to MK at 4PM. Many will plan a "rest day" for a party day to lounge by the pool or resort hop and then head into the party. Happy planning!!

Thank you! I think my husband wants to do the party so we would definitely plan our MK day that same day. I've already ordered some neck cooling towels and will make sure we have fans and water. My husband doesn't mind the heats but my daughter and I are not heat friendly! 😆

If I remember, it was hot but not humid and that made all the difference in the world. But I was on my honeymoon so I don't remember the details and we were more focused on the "wine" part of food and wine....wine that is in the form of margaritas in Mexico.

Have you ever used a travel agent? I wonder if that would be a good option

September 2025 ~ breathe deep, you have plenty of time to make most these decisions and even change your mind a few times.

Yes there are folks who don't like LM room location but in relation to all the walking you will be doing it's not that bad at all. You can even try requesting a room close to buses to get you closer to main hub. If your DD is excited for LM room I say go for it, it's all about the memories.

Done Sept for decades, going back this year as well. It's hot, so is June through October. It is still less crowded than most times of year. The other things I would just keep reading and decide later.

Note: We love Magicbands, worth every penny to not pull out a key card for dining, shopping, entering parks, VQ, Genie+ if you buy, room key ...

Magic Bands - we like having them as it is so much more convenient and in the grand scheme of a Disney vacation not that expensive, especially if you don't get fancy.

I am of the mind that if I am going to spend a significant amount of money on something then I will spend a bit more on some of the add on items that will improve the experience. MB is one of those spends for us.

G+ and ILL fall into that category as well depending on the park and the crowd level. Will an extra $20 ish each to guarantee a few favorite rides be worth it? I would purchase this for a MK day with an 8yo, you can plan your G+ selections and then use standby in the same area of the park to avoid crisscrossing,

If your dd loves the characters then maybe spend a bit on a character meal, you have to eat anyway, and this cuts town on waiting in some lines at the parks to meet them.

AOA is a nice resort, and you can't beat the Skyliner for transportation.

For a first trip I recommend to friends not to try and make it perfect. You can't do it all - prioritize a few things that are important to each of you and then enjoy the moment. Remember to allow for playtime for the 8yo in one of the play places at the parks or resorts and especially pool time. One of my dd's fondest memories are of an evening swim with dinner at the pool from the food court!

First, to magic band or not to magic band?
I’d wait until 2025 starts before making that decision. Mabicbands are not necessary but we still find them fun to use.

Second, genie plus? Is it really needed? It's so complicated!! Also, my husband mentioned that he didn't want to be racing all around the parks the whole time and doesn't think our daughter would enjoy that either.
This can wait until 2025 too. Things just keep evolving so I’d wait and see what’s going on closer to the trip.

Third, is going in later September a good time to go. I've read conflicting information.
The tradeoff of lower Sept crowds and prices is not worth it to me. Other times of the year have been so much more enjoyable overall. I don’t like the reduced park hours, unrelenting heat and humidity, high potential of severe weather interrupting travel and plans, the battle of sunscreen/sunburn and sensitive skin (lathering it on, trying to wash it off, day after day), etc. WDW is just so much more fun for us when everything is operating 100% and the weather pleasant.

Not to say a good trip can’t be had in Sept. I just don’t agree with the sentiment of many park blogs that it’s THE best time to visit. There are reasons people decide to pay more and visit other months; some find the value better because they can do more and enjoy more of their time other months..

I booked Art of Animation because my daughter wants the LM rooms but I am now realizing how far they are from lobby, busses and skyliner. However, the family suites are just not in our price range. I hope AoA is a good selection!
We’ve stayed at AoA in LM rooms twice, though the last time was right before skyliner. Definitely a gamechanger to those resorts. Those prices have also increased at a much higher rate. I’m looking at rackrates and wow! Averages $300/nt in Sept.

I’d consider it if a good deal came out. It’s a cool resort but less convenient than others. I’m a huge LM fan and the resort does her justice! At that price I’d compare other options though. Shoot, you might be able to rent Poly DVC for that cost. Or BLT for less. Or AKV for less than the best AoA discount. Keep in mind DVC is not as flexible as cash reservations. But it’s worth a look, especially since you still have plenty of time and might be comparing different resorts, offers and times to visit.

Let me know if you’d like more detail on anything. Im happy to help. Sounds like it’ll will be a fantastic trip no matter what, and that’s because you have an 8 year old going with you and I’m so jealous :)

We bought Genie+ one day. We rope dropped Animal Kingdom, returned to the room at noon and stacked LL at MK for the evening. We did buy ILLs for Rise, Guardians, and seven dwarves. On different days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter