Overwhelmed - where to stay?

Thank you EVERYONE for all the suggestions. I’m doing some more internet research now and will be booking tonight. I’ll keep you posted on the results. Really appreciate all the info, incredibly helpful!
I just wanted to give you an idea of scale; I recently saw this posted on another site or I'd share a link here. Think of Disneyland Resort superimposed over EPCOT. The back of Disneyland is the main gate; the back of California Adventure is Japan & USA. Grand Californian is in Canada pavilion; Disneyland Hotel would be Beach Club, Paradise Pier would be Boardwalk. Downtown Disney is around Figment and those paths; the esplanade between the two parks would be the path on the Future World side of the lake (but there's no big lake so it's MUCH more direct from the back of one park to the back of another!) Some of the Harbor Blvd. hotels mentioned here would be basically INSIDE the Frozen ride or the Mexico pavilion! We couldn't get a sense of that scale until we actually stayed at Best Western Park Place Inn (rooms are similar in quality to Port Orleans Riverside) and walked across the street and we were at security in 2 minutes. We were able to use some DVC points but we were considering BWPPI, Tropicana, and even Candy Cane (like being in the far side of Boardwalk).

I hope this mental picture helps you as much as it helped me! Enjoy your trip!

Courtyard by Marriott Theme Park Entrance. We always book through Get Away Today to save some money on the rooms. We get the room with 2 queen beds and the bunk beds. You'll also get two separate showers which makes getting everyone going a lot easier. The pools, slides, and spray park are all great for your kids. There's also a hot tub for adults but kids get in there as well. It's about a 10 minute walk to security. We would love to stay at one of the onsite resorts but the value has just never been there compared to this hotel.
WHAT! When we stayed there we had a similar setup room (2 queens, bunkbed) but only had one shower. That is unique, I need to go see what that looks like.

First trip to DL with an 8 and 11 yr old. Totally overwhelmed with choosing a hotel. Most important things to us are:
1. Location
2. Pool
3. Price
Everything else is icing on top.

We are used to staying at value or moderate hotels at WDW.

What do people suggest and why?

TIA!
Disneyland Hotel 0BC298EA-E7A3-4708-A71B-EEDACA0CF861.jpegAD0EC5B2-6A19-428C-BC52-44208FCF655E.jpeg

WHAT! When we stayed there we had a similar setup room (2 queens, bunkbed) but only had one shower. That is unique, I need to go see what that looks like.
I was under the impression all 2 queens with bunkbed rooms were like this. We never get a resort or waterpark view so maybe that's the tradeoff? This is what the bathrooms look like.
Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 7.02.40 PM.png

Is it at all possible you missed the second shower with the tub? The door to the vanity area is huge and covers up most of the shower behind it. My husband has stayed in this hotel many times and didn’t know there was a second shower until the second time he stayed there.

You know what, after looking at that it seems vaguely familiar. I must not be remembering clearly, we haven't stayed there since Christmas 5-6 years ago (planned the trip in less than a week, that hotel and their Theme Park view room was the only one available lol) with many different hotels in-between. That's pretty cool, can't believe I didn't remember!

You’ve probably booked already… but I thought I’d add my $.02. Our kids have food allergies and we tend to like a place with kitchen access, so that may not apply to you.

I refuse to stay at motels. We have kids and we take a midday break. They also go to bed fairly early and can’t handle the noise of people walking and talking loudly right outside your door with no hallway to absorb the noise.

Our go to was homewood suites, although that’s a 20 min walk. We stayed 4/22 and it was just too neglected. The staff is still amazingly friendly but there were a lot of maintenance issues in the room that had been ignored, perhaps with covid as the excuse.

Next trip we are staying at home2suites. We stayed at one locally and it was ok, I shied away because it’s all one room without a bedroom door. The kids did ok, maybe because they’re getting older.

Others we’ve considered are residence inn and Springhill suites. Hyatt house we have always dismissed due to above commenters issues with noise.

Courtyard Marriott theme park entrance was also considered, but it’s more expensive and doesn’t include breakfast.

If you need a small hotel room the Hilton garden inn on Manchester is also new. It’s attached to the home2suites and they share a pool.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Anaheim Convention Center in 2016. It was brand new then. Loved it. Good location, right next door to the Toy Story lot, so we usually just rode the bus from there instead of walking, but walking was still doable. The pool wasn't fancy, but the at the time 4 year old in our traveling party sure loved it. I'm headed back at the end of February and am set to stay there again. Room prices are comparable to Pop or one of the moderates at WDW, with a lot more space for your money. And depending on when you are going, it might even be cheaper. We have a 1 bedroom (2 queens in the bedroom, a sofa bed in the living room, and an almost full kitchen...stove, microwave, full size fridge, but no oven) for I think $189 a night for the upcoming trip.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Anaheim Convention Center in 2016. It was brand new then. Loved it. Good location, right next door to the Toy Story lot, so we usually just rode the bus from there instead of walking, but walking was still doable. The pool wasn't fancy, but the at the time 4 year old in our traveling party sure loved it. I'm headed back at the end of February and am set to stay there again. Room prices are comparable to Pop or one of the moderates at WDW, with a lot more space for your money. And depending on when you are going, it might even be cheaper. We have a 1 bedroom (2 queens in the bedroom, a sofa bed in the living room, and an almost full kitchen...stove, microwave, full size fridge, but no oven) for I think $189 a night for the upcoming trip.
I highly recommend reconsidering. We’ve stayed here every year leading up to covid and then last spring. I just can’t do it again. I couldn’t believe how they used the covid excuse to stop keeping up with maintenance. Broken door knob to the patio. Dirt ok cracks and creased. Dirty couch cushions. Cockroach in my mom’s room, which they quickly sprayed. They are so friendly still. They hadn’t restarted evening social 4 days a week, just 1 I believe. That combined with the long walk or the slow bus, we will not return. There are a lot more options now. This time we’re trying home2 on Manchester.

First trip to DL with an 8 and 11 yr old. Totally overwhelmed with choosing a hotel. Most important things to us are:
1. Location
2. Pool
3. Price
Everything else is icing on top.

We are used to staying at value or moderate hotels at WDW.

What do people suggest and why?

TIA!
I love The Anaheim Hotel. Close by (I walked from there daily) and the pool is fantastic (full olympic sized pool). I swam laps daily in there. The hotel is very cool with a great MCM vibe. Price was decent.

Our last stay was at the new Home2Suites. I would absolutely stay there again. Very close walking distance, plus you get a full size fridge to be able to save a little food money if you so wish.

Second recommendation would be as others have said the Candy Cane Inn. It's been awhile since we last stayed there, but it is certainly a good option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter