Ownership Demand for Hawaii DVC Resort?

Hawaii has enough demand to fill existing resorts for most of the year. As someone already mentioned, many people living in the western part of North America go to Hawaii once or twice a year, every year. Add those to the travellers from Asia, and there is a very large customer base. (My German family members even go to Hawaii regularly, as does a friend of mine who lives in Florida) Hawaii is also a common stopover location for people flying from the west coast of North America to New Zealand and/or Australia. (Significant tourism originally started there as it was a stopping off/refueling point for the first Pacific airline routes)

I couldn't agree more with this comment. However I'm seeing it as a lot of NZ and Australians travelling to Hawaii and LA for their holidays...

We are DVC members but can only travel to Florida around every 2-3 years due to the shear costs of the airfares and had planned to perhaps trade out occassionally though we have yet to do so. However with the DVC in CA and now HI, we will most likely add on at some point to one or both these locations as they are so much closer!

We have direct flights from New Zealand to both Honolulu and LAX and both are very common holiday destinations for New Zealanders and Australians. I think there will be a surge in members from this side of the pacific with resorts closer to home soon too.

International travel and long haul flights are not a barrier to future DVC members. I can't think of a single person I know that has never been overseas. Most people I know go on an international holiday every year or two and many young people as a matter of course leave NZ for a long term to live and work overseas - mostly the UK. About half the people I work with have been to Disneyland despite the fact that we get ZERO advertising for it here.

I don't think it will be too long before we see DVC Paris and fingers crossed either Hong Kong or Tokyo (could I possibly hope for both? :thumbsup2 )

I'd like to think this is a long term plan to get the Disney brand known more widely especially with the new cruise ships and rumours of them sailing from the West Coast/Hawaii.

I think you forgot to add charging for toilet paper.;)
As far as charging for reservations not made online, I would love for them to do this as it would mean I could book online!

You can book online, I've always booked online. I've never booked over the phone. Far too expensive to make a long distance call! :)

You can book online, I've always booked online. I've never booked over the phone. Far too expensive to make a long distance call! :)

I stand corrected. I was referencing being able to check availability online not just sending MS an e-mail.

Yes, a lot of West Coasters take vacations EACH AND EVERY YEAR to Hawaii. Usually for 1 or 2 weeks. Because the weather is great, it is not really as seasonally dependent, so I can imagine the resort being full almost all year. It might not attract as many add-ons by those of you on the East Coast and current DVC'rs living out East, but I can imagine this resort would attract a lot of NEW DVC sales to people who have never even heard of DVC. Their take would be, "Wow, I can still go to Hawaii every year AND I could go see what all this fuss is about Disney World". :rotfl:

Exactly, as seen from the perspective of an East Coaster probably not, after all it is a 10 hour flight! However, on the west coat it is entirely different. We think of Hawaii like you think of the Caribbean, except there is no third world component as there is on some islands of the Caribbean, and the weather is just about perfect all year long (and generally cooler because of tradewinds) I do not think this decision was made primarly with East Coast Members in mind. It was built to expand membership out west. Hawaii is the second largest timeshare market outside of Orlando. I do not think companies like Hilton, Weston, Mariott and others would build there if they had problems selling.

I would have probably had the same myopic view of Hilton Head if I was a member when it was built. I had barely heard of Hilton Head Island before I became a member (I live in Southern California). Although most East Coasters know it well. It is mostly an East coast thing. I cannot say the same about Hawaii since it is a huge tourist draw. Mark my words, this resort is going to sell well.

I would venture a guess that Disney is targeting a different clientele, or at the very least, an expanded clientele.

The Japanese, for example, are frequent travelers to Hawaii. They are an affluent society and (as Tokyo Disney has proven) are very familiar with the Disney brand and it's reputation for quality.

I also agree with previous posters who state that many on the west coast would be attracted to DVC Hawaii. Geographically, it is about the same distance to Hawaii as Florida for them, and many west coasters take Hawiian vacations anyway.

As for myself, I sometimes worry that DVC is expanding too quickly. Just in the last year we have AKV, Grand Californian, the rumors about the Contemporary, and now Hawaii. I think that DVC might lose a bit of it's "magic" if they're not careful.

That said, I would like to try all the DVC resorts, Hawaii included. We were married there, so it might make for a nice anniversary every so often. Have no desire to buy there, however.

I think Japan will buy most of the resort, they love Hawaii. If the point requirement is high it might be better to book a trip through a travel agent and rent your points.

Alaska is another market for HI DVC although not as large.

I han't hear the rumor about Cabo? Any more details?

I hope Disney does the resort "right." Starwood and Marriott offer plush bedding, linens, furnishings, and a deed that doesn't expire. We just got back from OKW and I loved our trip, but the bedding/sheets left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Disney won't use low cost linens in Hawaii like they do at WDW. They won't have the theme parks as a backup for lack of quality in Hawaii. I really hope they are up to the task. Hopefully their bean counters are smart enough to realize what they are competing against in new markets away from their theme parks.

I've seen several people mention the fact that Disney is an expensive timeshare. It is in relation to most timeshares, but not those located in Hawaii. And most definitely not in relation to Marriotts in Hawaii. My hope is that DVC becomes like the Marriott program with all the trading options without having to go to II. BroganMc, from what I understand those Marriott points are only if you buy direct from Marriott (correct me if I'm wrong), and
buying from them is significantly more expensive than resale.

Excellent comment! :)

I will be the first to admit that I am not very familiar with timeshares beyond DVC. However, what I've seen repeatedly on these (and other) boards over the years is that DVC is more expensive than alternatives in the same location. In other words, DVC-Orlando is more expensive than other timeshares there and DVC-Hilton Head is more expensive than other timeshares there, etc.

So the assumption is that DVC-Hawaii will also try to command a premium? Hard to say, and will be one of the interesting aspects of this new development to watch.

I hope Disney does the resort "right." Starwood and Marriott offer plush bedding, linens, furnishings, and a deed that doesn't expire. We just got back from OKW and I loved our trip, but the bedding/sheets left a lot to be desired. Hopefully Disney won't use low cost linens in Hawaii like they do at WDW. They won't have the theme parks as a backup for lack of quality in Hawaii. I really hope they are up to the task. Hopefully their bean counters are smart enough to realize what they are competing against in new markets away from their theme parks.

With the new resort having the Marriot and the JW as neighbors, the bar has been set for Disney to meet and exceed. I think Disney will go all out on thier first non-park hotel. They will have to prove that Disney is in the hotel business to succeed.

The new cruise ships will have a big influence on the new resort. I can see the new ships weekly heading out to Hawaii from California. Possibly offering occassional cruises to Japan and other Asian ports.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Hawaii is a popular vacation destination. For those who enjoy visiting Hawaii on a regular basis, there are already plenty of options. The question is will the addition of DVC in Hawaii be enough to draw in the Disney crowd without the allure of the theme parks?

If a prospective buyer of DVC-Hawaii was planning to use the points for primarily Hawaii vacations with an occasional WDW visit, other existing timeshares might be a better fit for that person. On the other hand, if a prospective buyer was considering using the points mainly at WDW with an occasional visit to Hawaii, that buyer would no doubt be paying high (if not the highest) maintenance fees and dealing with seven month booking windows most of the time.

DVC Hawaii, along with DVC California, might be the best fit for those who don't envision traveling to Florida very often. Without the WDW theme-parks though, it's doubtful that too many of us would own DVC today. As always, time will tell.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Hawaii is a popular vacation destination. For those who enjoy visiting Hawaii on a regular basis, there are already plenty of options. The question is will the addition of DVC in Hawaii be enough to draw in the Disney crowd without the allure of the theme parks?

If a prospective buyer of DVC-Hawaii was planning to use the points for primarily Hawaii vacations with an occasional WDW visit, other existing timeshares might be a better fit for that person. On the other hand, if a prospective buyer was considering using the points mainly at WDW with an occasional visit to Hawaii, that buyer would no doubt be paying high (if not the highest) maintenance fees and dealing with seven month booking windows most of the time.

DVC Hawaii, along with DVC California, might be the best fit for those who don't envision traveling to Florida very often. Without the WDW theme-parks though, it's doubtful that too many of us would own DVC today. As always, time will tell.

I agree exactly! Hawaii is an adult destination. It is served by many extra-deluxe timeshares which will be cheaper than DVC, with lower maintenance costs, and will have much better tradability for all but accomodations inside WDW. (And those only at seven months out)

Just because it is Disney doesn't mean it will be a success. I expect that this will be a money losing disaster and that the building will have to be sold at a breathtaking loss to a company with more experience and acceptance in the Hawaii market. :sad2:

I live on the west coast and can tell you the only really great air deals into Hawaii are from California (Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco, Los Angeles) because there are some smaller airlines that the "big dogs" have to compete with. For us, it's always been cheaper to fly to Florida. Because of this, if we bought points in Hawaii at all...it would be enough for a stay every three years or so. Even if the resort is a tie-in with DCL in some way, we still wouldn't go more often because the price of the cruise on top of the airfare and hotel would make it all the more cost-prohibitive.

Another thing I'm questioning is whether or not Hawaii can really handle another cruise ship as NCL just moved one of their ships (Pride of Hawaii) that was specifically built for the islands to another itinerary because the market was over-saturated. I know there really isn't a comparison between NCL and DCL, but I'm really curious as to whether or not a new Disney ship would stay in Hawaii permanently or just be based there a few months of the year.

you can bet Hawaii owners will want to make the pilgrimage to WDW.

HUH??? This is an unfounded statement. There are plenty of Hawaii timeshare owners like myself who would never in a million years trade our Hawaii time for an amusement park in Orlando! Although I enjoy vacationing at WDW, buying into DVC doesn't make sense for me since I'm a west coaster who has only been to WDW twice but vacations in Hawaii every year. If I were to purchase any DVC it would be Ca. or Hawaii and I would never use my points for WDW. It's too easy to trade one of my other timeshares for DVC Orlando.

I think you will end up very surprised at how popular DVC locations in the west will be. Finally, Disney is thinking about the huge market beyond the Mouse lovers & east coasters. Halleluja! About time.

I agree exactly! Hawaii is an adult destination. It is served by many extra-deluxe timeshares which will be cheaper than DVC, with lower maintenance costs, and will have much better tradability for all but accomodations inside WDW. (And those only at seven months out)

Just because it is Disney doesn't mean it will be a success. I expect that this will be a money losing disaster and that the building will have to be sold at a breathtaking loss to a company with more experience and acceptance in the Hawaii market. :sad2:

I must respectfully disagree with your thoughts and say I feel it has a great chance of being a complete success. The world we live in continues to change, and Disney feels its needs to change with it in order to stay profitable. Only time will tell who it right and who is wrong. But isn't that how everything in life is?:confused3

Thenks for the respectful counterpoint, simzac.

My attitude is probably too strongly effected by my experience with Disney's Vero Beach retrenchment.

It was sad for me to see DVC unable to compete when offering timeshares on the ocean. I bought VB right after it was offered and expected it to be the cat's pajamas. (Yes, I am very old!) :)

Thenks for the respectful counterpoint, simzac.

My attitude is probably too strongly effected by my experience with Disney's Vero Beach retrenchment.

It was sad for me to see DVC unable to compete when offering timeshares on the ocean. I bought VB right after it was offered and expected it to be the cat's pajamas. (Yes, I am very old!) :)

I understand your dissapointment with VBR. Who knows, if Hawaii takes off like I think it will, maybe VBR and HHI will finally become popular choices for DVC members looking for quality vacations away from the parks.

Retrenchment:

The reduction of expenditures to achieve financial stability. :teacher:

I realized that I was using an old time word.

Disney dropped plans for the largest part of the VB resort. The highrise buildings on the other side of the highway were never built and the land was sold. Additionally, beachfront land to the South was also sold.

Hawaii is an adult destination. It is served by many extra-deluxe timeshares which will be cheaper than DVC, with lower maintenance costs...

What do some of these extra-deluxe timeshares run in terms of maintenance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter