Packages & Travel Site "Discounts"

bswb97

Earning My Ears
We're in the early planning stages and I keep seeing different (+/- 10%ish) prices on travel sites like Expedia, etc. for the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. These seem to be slightly better than the prices on the Disney site but I don't know if they're essentially the same following fees and such. Is it worth it to book through 3rd party sites over Disney?

Also, I see Costco and a few other places offer all-inclusive packages: hotel, club level option, parkhopper ticket and some perks ($100 gift card, pins, etc.). Obviously the gift card is nice and will be used but are these perks essentially throw-ins? Do these packages actually save you money?

Packages are a double edged sword. They work for some people and not for others. I've done the research and have found it's more about convenience than savings. I have yet to find any that really save very much. But a lot of people like them because it's one shot and done. You'll have to do the research for yourself and see if the convenience is worth the costs.

I have used some of the travel sites you mention and have been happy with the experience. You can sometimes save money or get a room that will be sold out elsewhere, and I've not encountered any issues. However, if you DO have an issue, you aren't as protected with something like Orbitz as if you booked directly through the hotel or Disney.

Costco is a safe way to go, though, because they use the Disney booking engine. They offer some decent perks and it's a nice way to go if you want someone to handle all of the details without doing everything separately, if you need/want the perks offered (I'm a lot less interested in their packages now that they offer a photopass dining picture option instead of the character dining vouchers they used to include), or if you've not booked at DL before and are unsure how to go about it. I like that they offer the gift card and nice little touches--used to give you Disney luggage tags, for instance. As a general rule, you don't save money by using a package and can save quite a bit of money by booking things separately yourself, but there are exceptions sometimes. I always book things on my own so I can't say what is currently a good place to look but this site should give you some names, like Getaway or Last Minute Travel.

Edited to add: Sorry!!! I thought I was on the Disneyland board!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter