PaHunter's return to camping with cancer and as a diabetic

PaHunter

Reasonably Knowledgable Individual.
So if you followed my other thread PaHunter's camping season comes to an end due to cancer. You are up to speed.

For those who have not, quick version. Was diagnosed with cancer in June while at Dismeet in Tenn. Had two bone marrow transplants. All looking good, then in April 2022 was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic, when sugar hit 1384. Twice what is considered dangerous and half way to Guiness Record.

So now on insulin to control my sugar and a diet change which is hard for a picky eater.. Now everyone is caught up,

Mothers Day weekend, we had a trip to French Creek State Park scheduled. Loaded up the motorhome during the week and on Thursday the rain arrived, and it rained into Friday. Friday afternoon we piled into the motorhome and hit the road. Second time I have driven the motorhome since last June. The rain kept speeds down a bit, but we were making good progress, then we hit the stopped traffic. A tractor trailer and car had run off the road southbound and almost entered the northbound lanes, our slow down was rubber neckers. Southbound was shutdown and rerouted, about a 8 mile backup just before rush hour.
Once clear it was smooth sailing to French Creek SP. We backed in to our site which was not too bad, pads are a bit skinny, 10 foot 3 inches, the incline was at least 3 degrees front to back in 40 feet. We got set up, when @jbrostek arrived we took Reba to visit. Was a short visit as it was raining sideways and we were all wet from setting up. Time for dinner, hot dogs and tater tots, then rest of night relaxing.

Saturday it was still raining sideways, so we spent the day in the trailer, organizing and watching movies. Had fire up the heater to take the chill out of the air, was only about 50 degrees outside. Dinner was pork chops, taco rice and corn.
Sunday the sun welcomed us to the day. We had breakfast, then Reba got a long walk. @jbrostek stopped by and we talked for awhile, it was then time to breakdown and hit the road. We got our of the park at 250, and there where people on the main road waiting for sites. Trip home was uneventful and we unloaded the fridge. Now to get some work done on the rig before the next trip.

It was great to be out again, even if the rain kept our visitation down. DW did a great job helping out with all the things I can not do yet, due to being immunocomprimised.

So happy to see that you guys are rolling again. Hopefully we can get together some time soon.:drive::woohoo:
Keeping you guys our thoughts :grouphug:
Give Reba some belly rubs from us all :dogdance:

So happy to see that you guys are rolling again. Hopefully we can get together some time soon.:drive::woohoo:
Keeping you guys our thoughts :grouphug:
Give Reba some belly rubs from us all :dogdance:
This year I am limited in my travels, supposed to stay within an hour of the hospital. Kind of the reason behind us doing all the local State Parks.
But nice to be traveling again and of course Reba was happy to be traveling again also..

So yesterday was a visit to the Oncologist, he said things are looking good and no changes at this time. My paperwork is showing they are listing my AML as being in remission. At only 6 months from transplant that is good.

Just found out someone I was around on Saturday tested positive for covid. So far I am not showing any symptoms.

Camping this weekend, temps to be in the 90's. Last trip soaked, this trip melting, love PA weather.

So yesterday was a visit to the Oncologist, he said things are looking good and no changes at this time. My paperwork is showing they are listing my AML as being in remission. At only 6 months from transplant that is good.

Just found out someone I was around on Saturday tested positive for covid. So far I am not showing any symptoms.

Camping this weekend, temps to be in the 90's. Last trip soaked, this trip melting, love PA weather.
State parks up by you are great. So thats a plus. Staying close to home this year is good. Fuel is $$$. And your getting better, so all I am hearing is positive stuff.

Staying close is good for the diesel budget! You already learned the RV is waterproof and the heat pump works. Now you can test the AC units.

Fingers crossed on the covid exposure.

So happy to hear you're in remission. Sometimes the treatments bring us new ailments to contend with. 10 years later and I have new conditions and diet to adjust to. The big thing is adapting and enjoying life. I hope you can make it to FW sooner rather than later. I know I look forward to it every year. Keep buggering on!

So this weekend we were back on the road. Camping this weekend was at Gifford Pinchot SP. Full hook up site, again it was tight, same as French Creek SP. Our site was loooong, but again the level of the site was off nearly 2 to 3 degrees.
Weather was a bit much for me, it was high 80's on Friday and 90's on Saturday. Nice park, met our neighbors when campground lost power Saturday afternoon. They were from Leesburg VA. Power was out for about 30 mins, no problems after that.
we only had one issue with the motorhome our drivers side slide will not come out. Have appointment after next camping trip and hope they can fix it, parts shortage. But we can still use it just a bit more cramped inside.

Parts delays are the worst, though seem to be hit an miss still and I hope stock finally filling in better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter