Paid Duty on Lion King DVD

>>^..^<<

Flat Cat
Hi,

I ordered the Lion King DVD when I was in Disney.. I think it was 24.99? and it came with a cute plush simba and pin.. free shipping to Canada.

Anyway, it arrived this morning and had yellow tape on it because Canada Customs opened and inspected it... and a invoice for $8.75 duty.

Just a heads up to have a bit of cash handy if you are expecting a DVD/VHS.

Can't wait to watch it tonight! or should I keep it till Christmas? nahhhhh... ;)

>>^..^<<

To be totally a*** retentive, the $8.75 is not duty - very few items are dutiable under the FTA. You paid the GST/PST on $24.99 ($3.75) plus the $5.00 flat rate the post office charges where you have taxes owing. If you ordered it when you were in Florida you could have filled out a "Goods to Follow" declaration at the border when you returned and could have had the money refunded to you. The DVD would have counted against your personal exemption, IIRC.

Actually, you got a bargain, because they are supposed to charge the tax on the CDN equivalent of the US price. :)

- Mike

Hi Mike.. yup, it's PST, GST & a handling fee just as you say...

I always call things "duty" I buy scientific instruments on eBay and even though some are antique over 100 years old I often get hit with duty, brokerage etc...

8.75 is the lowest invoice I have ever recieved I wanted to hug the postman.

>>^..^<<

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter