Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Thanks so much for taking the time to report your findings @Ariel484! Very interesting about scanning a MB for dining. I never have a MB on me when going to a resort, so I wonder what they plan to do for locals/offsiters/people who don't wear MBs who show up. I assume the same as always, look at ID and wave them through, but that would be untrackable. :confused3
I'd assume ID as well. The first time we went to a different resort (AKL) I had my ID out and ready to go, but the CM said my magic band would be fine. :confused3

Thanks so much for taking the time to report your findings @Ariel484! Very interesting about scanning a MB for dining. I never have a MB on me when going to a resort, so I wonder what they plan to do for locals/offsiters/people who don't wear MBs who show up. I assume the same as always, look at ID and wave them through, but that would be untrackable. :confused3

I posted a while back but when I spoke to a CM about it, they said they'd scan an MB or an ID to charge the guest folio, although again not sure how the ID would work or the tracking of an off-site guest. And again, I was not told a 3 hour limit for day guests, but 8-12!

Thanks for the info, @Ariel484! Hope they don't charge you parking!

I posted a while back but when I spoke to a CM about it, they said they'd scan an MB or an ID to charge the guest folio, although again not sure how the ID would work or the tracking of an off-site guest. And again, I was not told a 3 hour limit for day guests, but 8-12!

Same here! Not sure how to go about actually getting a copy of our charges, I was just expecting it to appear in my email at some point yesterday...

Why would anyone sell their stock out of anger? Seems silly. Do I like the policy? No. Has nothing to do with my stock holdings though. Not sure why the OP felt the need to mention that they were a stock holder...

I would guess if you were angry and thought it was going to hurt the business you might want to get out before the stock drops

We're booked for the beach for Sunday-Tuesday, i listened to a Disney podcast on the way in this morning and almost called my wife to cancel the beach and do a resort only trip instead. Then i remembered we'd get charged for parking. That idea passed quickly. Reservations at the beach still in place and will not go to disney this weekend.

Oops Disney.

Do what I did: make a reservation, chat with them or call to tell them your displeasure, and then cancel. :) They get a charge back on the credit card, too! (I didn't make the reservation with the intention of cancelling it, because I didn't remember about the parking fee until the confirmation screen came up!)

Why would anyone sell their stock out of anger? Seems silly. Do I like the policy? No. Has nothing to do with my stock holdings though. Not sure why the OP felt the need to mention that they were a stock holder...

Perhaps because several posts in the parking threads have indicated that this will be a big benefit to the stockholders, and they wanted to let us know that even as a stockholder, they aren’t happy. Stockholders tend to be into it for the long haul, and don’t appreciate companies alienating their loyal core customers.

What if guests arrive by Uber, or someone drops them off and they don’t leave a car overnight?

How do they know who is leaving a car and who isn’t? Is that just going to be on the guest to argue after they get charged for parking they didn’t use?

I also didn’t get an itemized list of charges for my last trip- but I was charged.

They used to email it, but I got nothing in February. We will have to be careful to check for improper charges.

Ugh. Another vacation hassle.

Same here! Not sure how to go about actually getting a copy of our charges, I was just expecting it to appear in my email at some point yesterday...

When we were there last June we didn't get an itemized list either. I just emailed guest services with our reservation number and they emailed the itemized statement within a few hours.

When we were there last June we didn't get an itemized list either. I just emailed guest services with our reservation number and they emailed the itemized statement within a few hours.
And for my September 2017 trip I was e-mailed an itemized list. Now we didn't do any charges to our MB but it broke down all the costs of our resort room rate, etc. It was auto-emailed to me just before 4am on our departure day.

We were emailed itemized list in October, check out day. Had everything on it, including all charges we made to magic bands.

Second sidenote: I got billed for our room charges this morning, but realized I was never emailed an itemized bill. I need to look into that and make sure they didn't actually charge us to park. I also need to do a better job of keeping my own receipts in the future.

They've gotten REALLY bad about emailing folio charge receipts. Out of about 10 different stays last year, I only received my email receipt twice. We did have an issue with one charge last May (split stay between two hotels, only one of the folios was actually charged), but just found out about it at the beginning of March (saw 4 different WDW charges on statement and thought that was everything .. didn't have a folio to compare it to). By emailing them, they were able to send me several of the missing folios so that I could compare them against my statements.

Last edited:
And for my September 2017 trip I was e-mailed an itemized list. Now we didn't do any charges to our MB but it broke down all the costs of our resort room rate, etc. It was auto-emailed to me just before 4am on our departure day.

We were emailed itemized list in October, check out day. Had everything on it, including all charges we made to magic bands.

We were always emailed an itemized list on our check-out day. Our trip last June was the first time we didn't get one. I've heard a lot of people say they haven't gotten one and have to ask for it. It seems to be very hit or miss.

We were always emailed an itemized list on our check-out day. Our trip last June was the first time we didn't get one. I've heard a lot of people say they haven't gotten one and have to ask for it. It seems to be very hit or miss.
I agree on that. There are a few things I think are hit and miss based on people's responses. If I was a frequent enough guest it would irk me in a way to not have some sort of consistency.

This is not going to "hurt the business." The big machine will continue to roll on.

If people actually follow through with there threats and profits go down in the hotels and parks and they see a drop in attendance then they will have bad quarter reporting which can lead to people selling off there stocks which then can cause a mass selloff. Is it likely no because most people won't follow through and will forgive and forget so the odds are your right but if they did then it could. Any decision a public traded company makes can cause in number of problems. Just ask Facebook.

I don't think I've ever heard of parking spaces running out at the Values at all. Why should the Values have to pay for parking if parking isn't an issue. Why should any resort at any level have to pay when there isn't a space issue.

WDW has a ton of space available too so it's not like we're talking landlocked downtown prime location hotels here. Certain resorts however on Disney property are more confined with space and have issues with people parking there when in reality they really shouldn't but it's not all resorts.

I wouldn't want to pay a fee period but I do agree that a graduated fee makes much more sense as Disney still gets money either way but it makes a lot more sense to the guest having to pay the fee.
I a
I agree completely. I'm only speculating but why does Disney have to copy the hotels that charge for parking that's why the announcement upset me and my family and others who love going to disney world it was one of the things that I loved about staying at a disney world hotel i understand that disney is so big and need the funding to operate it. Personally charging for resort overnight parking that's a mistake

Are they talking about making the guests of that resort pay, as well? Or just people parking there who aren't staying at a resort? If it's the latter, that makes sense, and will help keep plenty of parking available for actual guests. If it's the former, that's pretty bad, as Disney resorts are already overpriced & tacking on a daily parking fee would be unreasonable.
I agree completely the only ones who should be charged for parking are day visitors not registered guests

I agree completely the only ones who should be charged for parking are day visitors not registered guests
If they do that then locals and offsite guests might not be as likely to dine and shop at the resorts. I imagine that they are keeping that in mind.

If they do that then locals and offsite guests might not be as likely to dine and shop at the resorts. I imagine that they are keeping that in mind.
Very true. They already have a hard enough time filling some of the signature restaurants like Jiko and Artist Point. They certainly don’t want to discourage people from spending money.

I think they thought that they could stick it to people who have no option but to drive and therefore no option but to pay the parking fee, if they want to stay on site. They are thinking they can fill the resorts and still get off site people to spend lots of money, also.

While I think the resort parking fee is a terrible mistake, charging for non guests who would no longer travel to the resorts to eat and shop may be an even bigger mistake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter