Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Just us - really liking the feedback indicating "off site" :). You see, we never drive :). DVC - we fly in twice per year - use MEARS cabs and buses.
ON SITE for us :). Apparently? Less crowded :).

Now - still feel sorry for others.

It is crazy when you actually break it all down of how much it really all cost. It is a sticker shock for sure. When I spend a chunk of money sometimes I second guess my self and instead of saying should I have spent that much I always end up saying I could have done how many more things with the same amount of money. The love for Disney is an expensive one for sure.

Unfortunately there are also many who suffer from a form of confirmation bias, Choice supportive bias or Post-purchase rationalization. Basically, after you have purchased something, you then find reasons to justify that expenditure, and that justification can reinforce future such expenditures. Indeed, the MORE you pay for a product or service, the stronger this effect can be. Which is why I think you often see so many people here trying to rationalize and defend the cost increases, making silly comparisons like ball games or New York city shows, etc. Trying to "find the value." As if these are apples to apples comparisons, or as if highlighting another crazy expenditure on entertainment somehow makes the other a justified value. "Sure Disney costs my family $6000 for a week. But I spent $2000 last year to fly to my daughter and I to new york for a weekend for her graduation, stayed at the ritz and saw two Broadway shows, that was only 6 hours of entertainment, disney is a bargain!!!" UGH.

Its something I am sure Disney is well aware of, and counts on. Rarely I imagine do people really sit down and critically assess the value for the dollar, in fact, you might argue many are incapable of doing so.

I think people are quite capable of figuring out the value of the dollar for themselves. It takes empathy to figure out the value of a dollar for someone else and to realize that value is subjective and means different things to different people. Some people spend a boatload of money on fantastic watches paying for the name sometimes more than the quality... that's not my thing. Some people spend a boatload of money going first class on flights... not my thing either. There are tons of examples. In short just because I don't agree with someone on the value of a thing doesn't mean they are incapable of thought.

Unfortunately there are also many who suffer from a form of confirmation bias, Choice supportive bias or Post-purchase rationalization. Basically, after you have purchased something, you then find reasons to justify that expenditure, and that justification can reinforce future such expenditures. Indeed, the MORE you pay for a product or service, the stronger this effect can be. Which is why I think you often see so many people here trying to rationalize and defend the cost increases, making silly comparisons like ball games or New York city shows, etc. Trying to "find the value." As if these are apples to apples comparisons, or as if highlighting another crazy expenditure on entertainment somehow makes the other a justified value. "Sure Disney costs my family $6000 for a week. But I spent $2000 last year to fly to my daughter and I to new york for a weekend for her graduation, stayed at the ritz and saw two Broadway shows, that was only 6 hours of entertainment, disney is a bargain!!!" UGH.

Its something I am sure Disney is well aware of, and counts on. Rarely I imagine do people really sit down and critically assess the value for the dollar, in fact, you might argue many are incapable of doing so.

Agree with this so much. Logical thinking is often left at the door on this board lol.

We're low enough income that thankfully (??? Lol) we're forced to really assess all purchases beforehand. So Disney has to prove itself to us before we go, that it's worth it. Maybe if we had more money, the emotional value would be enough. But it's just not. And I can't justify spending significantly more of our money for less than we received 3 years ago.

I know the parking fees just had an impact on the trip we scheduled for the end of this month.

We were considering CBR vs Cabana Bay at Uni. CBR was $250/night before fees, Cabana Bay $224 before fees. Taking out the fact that we get a suite at Cabana bay, and CBR is half under construction, before we would say with the parking fee at Cabana we are equal in price. However, now CBR is still more, for less room and pools that close at 8 (seriously?!). So, on site will never win the comparison again. I know, its $12 or whatever, but I can't ever pay more for less. Now, I'll consider paying the same for less, but never more. Have to draw the line somewhere, lol!

I think people are quite capable of figuring out the value of the dollar for themselves. It takes empathy to figure out the value of a dollar for someone else and to realize that value is subjective and means different things to different people. Some people spend a boatload of money on fantastic watches paying for the name sometimes more than the quality... that's not my thing. Some people spend a boatload of money going first class on flights... not my thing either. There are tons of examples. In short just because I don't agree with someone on the value of a thing doesn't mean they are incapable of thought.

Bravo!

To be fair, DisFanDad did use the qualifier "many." He didn't say everyone.

I think you are both right. While the vast majority are probably capable, many do not seem to appropriately value their own position. Hence, much of the financial problems we face.

But this runs the risk of straying too far off the thread topic. It is interesting that a singular parking charge can cause so much consternation above the previous beyond-inflation increases. A literal something for nothing. No cupcake; not even a better spot.

Some people spend a boatload of money on fantastic watches paying for the name sometimes more than the quality... that's not my thing. Some people spend a boatload of money going first class on flights... not my thing either. There are tons of examples.

So true, like buy a $30,000 car or a $20,000 car and 100 BWV points and parking is free.

That's actually a great analogy, re DVC and a car.

They both depreciate, have yearly maint fees, and are worth nothing at the end of their lives.

:D

Just traded in my sport coupe after 6 years of ownership, it is worth less than my DVC ownership, which I paid less for and still have 39 years of life on ;)

Just traded in my sport coupe after 6 years of ownership, it is worth less than my DVC ownership, which I paid less for and still have 39 years of life on ;)

But no more Main Fees on that coupe!

ETA: It's not a real comparison/contrast analysis. More like a joke....

But no more Main Fees on that coupe!

hahaha, the Maint fees I paid over 6 years will cover 10 - 15 of my DVC dues. Hell brakes alone were over 2K, Tires 2K (4 sets total), lol. Also, I have another car payment now ... :(

Seriously though, I do get people's concern about people actually being able / capable to think about what they buy and decide on the "value" of things. But science actually says we are really bad at this, all of us, not just other people, me too. Its why people who buy BMWs, or Mercs, or Audi, or whatever defend the hell out of them. Even if you show them stats / metrics which demonstrate they are inferior, they will then shift to other things more subjective that makes them a better "value", even if they started out with measurable metrics like, HP/0-60, handling, etc.

We'd all be a lot better off if we recognized this, and tried to address it in ourselves instead of instantly jumping to defensive mode that "people" are (read "I am") perfectly capable of assessing what the value of something is to them. Because not only do we engage in this type of consumer confirmation bias, but then we want to pretend like we actually don't. Its pretty hilarious when you think about it.

hahaha, the Maint fees I paid over 6 years will cover 10 - 15 of my DVC dues. Hell brakes alone were over 2K, Tires 2K (4 sets total), lol. Also, I have another car payment now ... :(

Seriously though, I do get people's concern about people actually being able / capable to think about what they buy and decide on the "value" of things. But science actually says we are really bad at this, all of us, not just other people, me too. Its why people who buy BMWs, or Mercs, or Audi, or whatever defend the hell out of them. Even if you show them stats / metrics which demonstrate they are inferior, they will then shift to other things more subjective that makes them a better "value", even if they started out with measurable metrics like, HP/0-60, handling, etc.

We'd all be a lot better off if we recognized this, and tried to address it in ourselves instead of instantly jumping to defensive mode that "people" are (read "I am") perfectly capable of assessing what the value of something is to them. Because not only do we engage in this type of consumer confirmation bias, but then we want to pretend like we actually don't. Its pretty hilarious when you think about it.

I know I'm bad at this. I've taken my family on two trips to Disney World in the past couple of years. :rotfl2:

To be fair, we did enjoy the crap out of them.

I know the parking fees just had an impact on the trip we scheduled for the end of this month.

We were considering CBR vs Cabana Bay at Uni. CBR was $250/night before fees, Cabana Bay $224 before fees. Taking out the fact that we get a suite at Cabana bay, and CBR is half under construction, before we would say with the parking fee at Cabana we are equal in price. However, now CBR is still more, for less room and pools that close at 8 (seriously?!). So, on site will never win the comparison again. I know, its $12 or whatever, but I can't ever pay more for less. Now, I'll consider paying the same for less, but never more. Have to draw the line somewhere, lol!

8:00? The pools close at 8 now? Say what?

Stormalong Bay & Hurricane Hannah's were closed at 8 when I was there three weeks ago. I was surprised by that, because I felt like they were at least open until 9 in the past.
Weird that seems really early. What was the weather like? Maybe that’s a factor?

Weird that seems really early. What was the weather like? Maybe that’s a factor?

BEAUTIFUL! The sun was down, but it was still in the 70s - I was passing through on my way to Epcot for Illuminations and I stopped to talk to my favorite bartender there, and she let me hang around until about 8:20 chatting, but they cleared the pool area out right at 8 and she started rolling down the garage doors while I was there finishing my drink and catching up with her. It was strange, because I DEFINITELY remember being about to be out by the pool or getting drinks until right close to Illuminations time last year.

In fact, I just went back and looked at pictures from my W&D Meet-Up before the post-party and we didn't tab out at HH's until 8:40 p.m. - that's when we all walked over to Epcot to watch Illuminations before the party started.

BEAUTIFUL! The sun was down, but it was still in the 70s - I was passing through on my way to Epcot for Illuminations and I stopped to talk to my favorite bartender there, and she let me hang around until about 8:20 chatting, but they cleared the pool area out right at 8 and she started rolling down the garage doors while I was there finishing my drink and catching up with her. It was strange, because I DEFINITELY remember being about to be out by the pool or getting drinks until right close to Illuminations time last year.

In fact, I just went back and looked at pictures from my W&D Meet-Up before the post-party and we didn't tab out at HH's until 8:40 p.m. - that's when we all walked over to Epcot to watch Illuminations before the party started.
Interesting. The all star sports pools were definitely open until at least 11 and the bar was open until I think midnight. For a pool like stormalong bay I’d want it to be open later than 8 especially paying the deluxe prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter