Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I mentioned this on a Facebook post but we go to Disney a lot (several times a year) and currently drive down from MA. We're also DVC. I've never once complained about the cost of anything related to Disney - we know it's expensive, and generally feel that we get a better, cleaner, more magical experience on vacation using Disney over any other theme park, including Universal. However, charging for parking at the resorts would be taking away one of the last perks of staying on property. What's left is magic hours now filled with guests not staying on property, and magical express (where the last trip it took us 45 minutes or more to catch a bus to and from AKL more than once). Will I pay the fee? What choice do I have, if we continue to drive? Will I complain about it? Absolutely. I will write to Disney if this is put in place and not at least free for DVC guests. It's nickel and diming people when they do not need to do this.

Okay Disney, I have a SIMPLE SOLUTION to whatever parking problem(s) you're attempting to solve here:

Regardless of the reason for parking at a Disney resort, give EVERYONE the same automated ticket on the way in.

THEN: Don't charge for parking according to the duration of their stay in the lot. Just charge them to leave the lot. Every time they leave the lot.

So if I'm a good and faithful resort guest that truly only uses my car as Disney desires (i.e. my car stays put in the resort lot, and I stay in the Disney bubble for as long as I am a resort guest) you charge me a single $20 parking fee when I leave Disney on my last day.

But if Harry Potter entices us to be unfaithful, or if I'm using resort lots to avoid paying for parking at the parks, I get dinged $20 on my way out.

Think of the advantages to this approach:
1. Legitimate restaurant patrons could easily get their ticket validated when paying their bill.
2. Disney has added a disincentive to arriving from the airport in a rental car with the intent of visiting Universal.
3. Disney has added a disincentive to park guests scamming free parking at resorts.
4. Disney has added a modest revenue stream for legitimate resort guests, but most won't mind paying since the parking supply has improved due to point #3.

You know Disney will now advertise “no resort fees!” Even though this is still a fee and easy money for them.

I expected resort fees before parking fees since that's everyone (ETA everyone meaning all resort guests) - especially since they're not charging day guests - with parking fees I would have thought they'd at least charge everyone and then validate parking fees for shoppers, diners, etc.

How would adding a parking fee keep guests onsite?

If anything, adding a fee on top of an already overpriced room will drive folks offsite where they can get more value for their money. The people who are affected HAVE CARS and therefore are not constrained by ME or Disney shuttle buses.

I think the assumption is that if you don't bring a car you won't be charged the parking fee so some people won't bring their cars to avoid the fee and are then going to stay onsite because going off site is too much of a hassle.

Seems like we see why they opened up 60 day FP and EMH to the "good neighbor" hotels. This way Disney can justify charging for parking like every other hotel that has the same perks as Disney hotels.

I guarantee we will see "resort fees" for the Disney hotels before SWGE opens.
How would adding a parking fee keep guests onsite?

If anything, adding a fee on top of an already overpriced room will drive folks offsite where they can get more value for their money. The people who are affected HAVE CARS and therefore are not constrained by ME or Disney shuttle buses.
This. People will work hard to avoid a ridiculous fee (look at what people do to avoid the $20 baggage fees).
Like I said earlier, I bet we'll see parking lots with shuttle services crop up in the area (where there is room). Pay half the cost for Disney parking and just get shuttled to your resort while your car sits somewhere remotely a few miles away.

Or .. if I am driving and paying for parking -- I am more inclined to use my own car for the speed and flexibility to get to the parks. If I am paying for my car to be there, I may as well use it!

So this may increase traffic around WDW, not lessen it.

This is what it is ... they know demand is going to increase so they are raising prices . but instead of just ticket prices or hotel prices, I guess they decided to just add on a flat fee (I guess easier for the bean counters to calculate how much extra revenue this is going to bring in).

Its weird. On here its been some people don't mind it, and some people hate it

On social media, I haven't seen the same, most people are complaining, hating it, etc etc..

So I am curious, are we the more crazy Disney people on the boards and the people on social media are the casual visitor ?

As in are they the majority of people who go, or are we? Statistic wise, I'd be very curious. I would figure a majority of people who do go don't come to boards like this since there aren't millions of members but who knows
Are you saying the boards are not social media?
so·cial me·di·a
NOUN
  1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Okay Disney, I have a SIMPLE SOLUTION to whatever parking problem(s) you're attempting to solve here:

Regardless of the reason for parking at a Disney resort, give EVERYONE the same automated ticket on the way in.

THEN: Don't charge for parking according to the duration of their stay in the lot. Just charge them to leave the lot. Every time they leave the lot.

So if I'm a good and faithful resort guest that truly only uses my car as Disney desires (i.e. my car stays put in the resort lot, and I stay in the Disney bubble for as long as I am a resort guest) you charge me a single $20 parking fee when I leave Disney on my last day.

But if Harry Potter entices us to be unfaithful, or if I'm using resort lots to avoid paying for parking at the parks, I get dinged $20 on my way out.

Think of the advantages to this approach:
1. Legitimate restaurant patrons could easily get their ticket validated when paying their bill.
2. Disney has added a disincentive to arriving from the airport in a rental car with the intent of visiting Universal.
3. Disney has added a disincentive to park guests scamming free parking at resorts.
4. Disney has added a modest revenue stream for legitimate resort guests, but most won't mind paying since the parking supply has improved due to point #3.

This is actually a pretty good idea...

Someone stated before they don't mind paying for it at the Swan and Dolphin because on the average they are cheaper than Disney hotels, but are they really?

ztpbQv6.png

That's 343 a night, before the 20 a day parking, so 363 a night. Yes, on paper it's cheaper than most rooms at the Floridian, Poly, and Contemporary, but it's not some outrageous savings.

Are you saying the boards are not social media?
so·cial me·di·a
NOUN
  1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

I'm positive you completely understood what I meant; Twitter/Facebook.. Not a Disney Message board

This. People will work hard to avoid a ridiculous fee (look at what people do to avoid the $20 baggage fees).
Like I said earlier, I bet we'll see parking lots with shuttle services crop up in the area (where there is room). Pay half the cost for Disney parking and just get shuttled to your resort while your car sits somewhere remotely a few miles away.

A use for all the empty hotels and motels out on 192

But what does Disney do with violations? Write parking ticket fines? Boot cars in lots? Tow cars? Turn away guest cars who are repeat offenders (and lose their revenue if abandoning an ADR)?

I think if they extend the three hour limit they should automatically charge the cc for the full price they would have paid if they parked at the park.

I think if they extend the three hour limit they should automatically charge the cc for the full price they would have paid if they parked at the park.

But the rumor is for overnight guest only then you could park all day and then leave so your parking spot might not be there still until late at night.

I think the assumption is that if you don't bring a car you won't be charged the parking fee so some people won't bring their cars to avoid the fee and are then going to stay onsite because going off site is too much of a hassle.

:confused3 If I drive to Disney .... I bring a car. That's not optional for me to avoid.

And as someone who stays on and offsite MANY times since 1971, staying offsite is not a hassle. Depending on where you stay at Disney, if I leave a park at closing in my car I am in bed before some of those onsite guests. I can drive to my hotel in 10-15 minutes, whereas it might take me 45-60 minutes wait/travel time to take a bus. The only downside is you see the outside world .... but at this point I'd rather get my monies worth or spend the extra for extra fun, not parking.

Will it bother those at monorail resorts? likely not. But I can do much better for my money than any value, moderate and several of the deluxe hotels by going non-Disney.

Is there any enforcement of people parking at Disney Springs or the Water Parks and hoping on a bus and going to the parks that way?
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure. I seriously doubt they would tow at Disney Springs because there are too many places there where a person might have a little to much to drink and (hopefully!) decide to take an alternative means of transportation back home, to their room or whatever. Don't think it would be wise for Disney to discourage responsible behavior when it comes to getting behind the wheel after a night drinking.

If one is just using their car to get to Disney and plans on parking once and leaving it for the duration, I wonder if they could just use one of the theme park lots and leave the car there for their stay? They'd have to pay once, but could wind up being cheaper than paying a daily parking fee at a resort.

Someone stated before they don't mind paying for it at the Swan and Dolphin because on the average they are cheaper than Disney hotels, but are they really?
That's 343 a night, before the 20 a day parking, so 363 a night. Yes, on paper it's cheaper than most rooms at the Floridian, Poly, and Contemporary, but it's not some outrageous savings.

Exactly what I've found when comparing Swan to BWI. However, if Disney starts adding on fees, soon the Swan will be cheaper. Especially if Disney gets around to adding a comparable resort fee to that of Swan.

Like I said earlier, every time Disney adds a fee, the managers at Swan, Dolphin, Bonnet Creek Wyndham, Waldorf, Hilton hotels, and Four Seasons all have a little party.

I just saw it on Tripadvisor, the FACT (at least according to the poster) that WDW is going to start charging for parking for stays reserved after 3/21. We were planning to drive over to another resort for dinner, but if they're going to charge us there, I think I'll cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter