Palo dress code question

The shoe question is a little puzzling however, especially for women. Can you wear a cute slip on Sketchers shoe or is that considered a sneaker? A woman from church wore Crocs to Palo! If it doesn’t have laces, is it still a sneaker? I’m not trying to start a whole thing here, it just seems kinda of a vague shoe dress code.
Just use your common sense. If you would normally wear it somewhere dress clothes are required it is probably ok. If it normally worn in a more casual setting, then not ok.

They have loaner shoes they will give you. My husband forgot his dress shoes one time and when we asked what we should do they provided a pair at the reception desk. If you show up in sneakers I assume they will do the same.

The shoe question is a little puzzling however, especially for women. Can you wear a cute slip on Sketchers shoe or is that considered a sneaker? A woman from church wore Crocs to Palo! If it doesn’t have laces, is it still a sneaker? I’m not trying to start a whole thing here, it just seems kinda of a vague shoe dress code.

Some Skechers and Crocs are styled to look more formal.

Attachments

• crocs.jpg
    crocs.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
  • skechers.jpg
    skechers.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 17
You are right, I think Skechers look good and will count as dressy enough. We have gone full circle now and will try Palo with our nice sneakers and if they give us loaner shoes will put them on. We should try Palo at least once.

I'm so glad that the people here were able to help you find a solution that works for you. I think you will really enjoy Palo, and after all, it is a benefit that you earned. Enjoy the experience and the food!

Its stunning to me that an office allows that. Our elementary school teachers cannot wear even sneakers to school.

You'd be surprised what is allowed in certain office environments nowadays. Offices which were once business dress, then downgraded to business casual, are now allowing jeans. I work in an office with 3 sister companies represented. The other two companies have gone to allowing jeans everyday while my company is sticking to business casual except for Fridays when jeans are allowed.

I've been told it's due to the millennial generation because they "want to be comfortable." Personally, I'm shocked at what I see some of them wear. The other day I saw one member of the younger generation wearing skin tight white jeans with a sleeveless top. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. We are a professional services firm, and the manner of dress of some people seems extremely unprofessional. I guess I've become an old fuddy duddy even though I'm only in my 40's. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of wearing jeans or sneakers to Palo. Heck, I don't wear jeans or sneakers to the MDRs.

Dh has an autoimmune disease which sometimes make his feet swell. We bring the dress shoes but wind up wearing dark gray walking sneakers. He wears a suit and tie and they glance at his feet then let us in at dinner.

You'd be surprised what is allowed in certain office environments nowadays. Offices which were once business dress, then downgraded to business casual, are now allowing jeans. I work in an office with 3 sister companies represented. The other two companies have gone to allowing jeans everyday while my company is sticking to business casual except for Fridays when jeans are allowed.

I've been told it's due to the millennial generation because they "want to be comfortable." Personally, I'm shocked at what I see some of them wear. The other day I saw one member of the younger generation wearing skin tight white jeans with a sleeveless top. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. We are a professional services firm, and the manner of dress of some people seems extremely unprofessional. I guess I've become an old fuddy duddy even though I'm only in my 40's. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of wearing jeans or sneakers to Palo. Heck, I don't wear jeans or sneakers to the MDRs.

I am an old fuddy duddy at 45 as well - but I have gone the opposite - I just don’t care what people think about my shoes. I wear jeans and sneakers and a hoodie for the past number of years and have never felt more comfortable. Now don’t get me started on leggings :) then my fuddy duddy comes out :)

Last edited:

I disagree that a cute slip on skechers shoe exists.... lol.

Its stunning to me that an office allows that. Our elementary school teachers cannot wear even sneakers to school.
I am surprised that an office does not allow that. No longer have kids in elementary school but when they were there teachers only wore jeans and sneakers. Sometimes a button down shirt or blouse other times just a t shirt. Public elementary school. When my dad was a teacher though he always wore a tie. So glad times have changed.

I know I'm going to get flamed but these type discussions really set me off. I can't believe that any family that can afford a Disney Cruise can't afford to dress appropriately. Do you not have any other occasions in your life that require a step up clothing-wise? Weddings, funerals, graduations, church.... Disney doesn't ask for a tux and gown. For men, a pair of khakis, a button down shirt and a pair of loafers; for women, a skirt and top or simple dress and a pair of flats. I don't think that's too much to ask. So, flame away.....

I'm actually going the other way. I'm Platinum and this last time at Palo sat opposite an entire group dressed in very scruffy jeans, T's and sneakers. They wore bandannas. It was for dinner. Did that effect my meal? Nope not in any way. Did I feel sad that this downturn in dress code was permitted? Yep!
After all if everyone dresses like this then I feel that the whole special feel of Palo will be diluted. However, that is just my personal opinion, and I understand that I am probably in the minority now.
So maybe it's time for me to move on to a cruise line that has maintained its dress code. At least to try it out. In my day to day life I'm retired so don't get the opportunity to dress up much, so I'd love a more dressy ambience for one meal anyway. Now just got to find a cruise line that still has dressy events.
Celebrity? P & O? Cunard? Princess? Anyone got any suggestions? I've only cruised Disney so don't have any idea.

I know I'm going to get flamed but these type discussions really set me off. I can't believe that any family that can afford a Disney Cruise can't afford to dress appropriately. Do you not have any other occasions in your life that require a step up clothing-wise? Weddings, funerals, graduations, church.... Disney doesn't ask for a tux and gown. For men, a pair of khakis, a button down shirt and a pair of loafers; for women, a skirt and top or simple dress and a pair of flats. I don't think that's too much to ask. So, flame away.....
No flaming :) I think these discussions are interesting. For me it is nothing about the money. I am fortunate to be able to afford to buy some dress shoes - I just don’t see why I should or why anyone would care. Aren’t th shoes under the table anyway? We don’t put them on he table at Palo do we :)

My sneakers are fancier than many loafers and I keep them clean. Buying a pair of dress shoes to me seems wasteful and I only use carry on bag for the cruise. Don’t want to carry anymore than I need.

And for graduations and weddings I even have fancier sneakers :) This is all in fun though - if they deny us entry to Palo so be it. I think dress codes are a thing of the past but I know other people love them. Everyone is free to have their opinion.

10 cruises in this case. I agree with you but based on this thread, I’m an old fuddy duddy

So maybe it's time for me to move on to a cruise line that has maintained its dress code. At least to try it out. In my day to day life I'm retired so don't get the opportunity to dress up much, so I'd love a more dressy ambience for one meal anyway. Now just got to find a cruise line that still has dressy events.
Celebrity? P & O? Cunard? Princess? Anyone got any suggestions? I've only cruised Disney so don't have any idea.

Based on my research, I'm leaning towards Oceania.

Based on my research, I'm leaning towards Oceania.
Thank you. I've looked this up and it's part of the P&O fleet. I see it specifically mentions a chance to dress up, so I think I would definitely at least like to try this for a change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter