Parents Now Protected From Having To Pay Extra To Sit With Their Kids On Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren’t saying you can’t have them, they are just saying you don’t get special treatment and a guaranteed seating because you have a young child.
Being forced to pay something that's optional for others is the opposite of "special treatment". You wrote earlier "I refuse to risk being separated from my [young] kids." I'm totally with you there, you just ensured it by paying fees that I don't think should reasonably be mandatory.

Being forced to pay something that's optional for others is the opposite of "special treatment". You wrote earlier "I refuse to risk being separated from my [young] kids." I'm totally with you there, you just ensured it by paying fees that I don't think should reasonably be mandatory.
Again, I agree it should be the rule that families are seated together but it isnt. If you want to be together pay for seats. You do expect special treatment you want the discount aka cheap fare but benefits of the more expensive seat. It’s completely unfair to expect that.

We aren’t going to agree here, I’ll continue to pay my for my seats, and refuse to move for people who except to not have to follow the rules they agreed to when purchasing the discounted fare.

I don't *want* to be together. Tell you what, you can spend five hours next to a 5-year-old who's been forced to sit alone and see if you still think sitting with their parents is optional.

I understand part of your viewpoint but really can't understand this idea that pushing back against fees that are mandatory for some but not others constitutes "special treatment". But then there's plenty I don't understand,
Complaining on a message board is not "pushing back" against a company. NOT giving them your business is "pushing back". Writing (emailing), calling, posting on their social media sites is "pushing back". Giving them money? Yea, they'll learn their lesson.

On a side note, you'll notice I deleted your last phrase. I suggest you edit your post to do the same. Political talk is not allowed on this message board.

Here's the thing -- it's not "extra". You *must* sit next to your children if they're little. I am totally fine with making seat selection a chargeable experience -- if I'm traveling with my wife or friends we are happy to pay extra to choose where we sit and whether it's together. That's fine. But with my five year old it's not optional, period. So it's a parent tax, not an optional benefit. I'm flying Spirit in a couple weeks and I'm not paying to pick our seats, and I'll check in exactly 24 hours before the flight to (hopefully) guarantee me and the kids sit together, and if we don't I'm going to be on the phone with the airline right then. If they tell me to talk to the gate agent they're going to hear it from me, because it's their problem and they shouldn't put the onus on other passengers as people are boarding.
Look at it as you're choosing not to take a discount that may separate your group. That's really what this is. 35 years ago when I started flying by myself there was no choice, you paid for the coach seat and got to choose your seat. Then they started offering Basic Economy with no seat selection, no checked bags and on some airlines no carry on included, but it was less expensive, a discount.

I agree with you, ideally that would be the rule. And I'd be happy to agree to the rules of the cheap fare, but one of them is "parents of young kids can't have the cheap fare" so...

Parents of young kids can have whatever fare they want. Just plan for it or budget accordingly. Shop around & find an airline that works for you. Just like everyone else does. It might cost you more. Just like it might cost me more to fly on my preferred early morning nonstop. Budget whatever it costs to take care of your family’s needs when you travel.

Last edited:
I see both sides of this debate. Unfortunately, the child/ children aren’t making these decisions. We are either a society that values compassion/ pro child, or we decide it’s every man for himself. I think there’s a vested interest in looking out for children. While parents are ultimately “responsible “ for their kids, shouldn’t all of us encourage family friendly policies? Whether we have children ourselves or not the next generation will be the ones looking out for us one day. We never know what little act of kindness on our part may be just what a child needs to make it through the day.

I don't *want* to be together. Tell you what, you can spend five hours next to a 5-year-old who's been forced to sit alone and see if you still think sitting with their parents is optional.

I understand part of your viewpoint but really can't understand this idea that pushing back against fees that are mandatory for some but not others constitutes "special treatment".

Of course you can discuss your position with the gate agent on the day of your flight.
Other passengers will have purchased seating that meets their needs weeks ahead of departure day.

Last edited:
I see both sides of this debate. Unfortunately, the child/ children aren’t making these decisions. We are either a society that values compassion/ pro child, or we decide it’s every man for himself. I think there’s a vested interest in looking out for children. While parents are ultimately “responsible “ for their kids, shouldn’t all of us encourage family friendly policies? Whether we have children ourselves or not the next generation will be the ones looking out for us one day. We never know what little act of kindness on our part may be just what a child needs to make it through the day.
IDK read enough stories about parents asking people to move from their seats and then getting rude, nasty, hostile, name calling and more and you may change your viewpoint.

I understand part of your viewpoint but really can't understand this idea that pushing back against fees that are mandatory for some but not others constitutes "special treatment". But then there's plenty I don't understand, like Trump almost having won a second term.
Happily your 5 year old and my 4 year old can hang, I’ll supply the snacks, but im
Not moving so you can sit with your 5 year old since you refused to pay to sit together. Again if you select a discount fare you need to understand you risk being separated, is it total BS, yes but those are the rules, if you want to see change I suggest writing your legislators to try and make it a law.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. But, riddle me this...

Most airplanes are 3x3 (three seats together, an aisle, then 3 seats together). Most (all) passengers would prefer a window or aisle over a middle, yes? So if it's that important to people, they purchase those seats. So (just to keep the math easy), lets say there are 20 rows of seats. Each row has 2 windows, 2 aisles, and 2 middle seats. With me so far? This is extreme, but let's say the first 80 people purchase all the windows and aisles (by purchasing them). So only middle seats are left. A mom with a 5 year old purchases two seats. Now, Rows 1-20, Seats A, C, D, E. Who do you move from their purchased seat to a middle seat?

Happily your 5 year old and my 4 year old can hang, I’ll supply the snacks, but im
Not moving so you can sit with your 5 year old since you refused to pay to sit together. Again if you select a discount fare you need to understand you risk being separated, is it total BS, yes but those are the rules, if you want to see change I suggest writing your legislators to try and make it a law.

You may have missed the first post of this thread, but that's actually what this entire thread is about.

I just had another thought...

No ID is required to fly (domestically) until 18(?- possibly 16 but doesn't make a difference). So, what keeps a parent of a 15 year old from putting in a birthdate (when booking the ticket) to make that 15 year old 5 (whatever the "break point is") so they get free seat selection?

You may have missed the first post of this thread, but that's actually what this entire thread is about.
Didn't miss it, but It’s not a law its guidance and most airlines are saying we let you select 24 hours before so that’s good enough. There is no law at the moment, if you want it to be law fighting me on what’s happening in practice isn’t going to help. I fly often, and always even when flying alongs pay to select a seat.

Then you have two options, you make it not fair to those without children by allowing parents to upgrade their seats from the middles they would have had to either window or aisle. Or you get rid of all basic economy fares and ULCCs, and probably SW too. If you require all tickets to include seat assignments.

I have two small children, I've never felt that airline policies were not family friendly. I've flown on Delta, United and Southwest without issues, yes I paid more on each of them to either assign my seat or get a better boarding position. That is part of my responsibility when I choose to take my kids on vacation.

So only middle seats are left. A mom with a 5 year old purchases two seats. Now, Rows 1-20, Seats A, C, D, E. Who do you move from their purchased seat to a middle seat?
I'd make your argument slightly differently, since in my imagining kids under a certain age would just not be charged fees at booking so nobody gets "moved" they just have less seats to choose from. But the fact is that windows and aisles have a higher value than middle seats, so why should airlines let the most valuable seats go free? Seats in the front are more valuable as well, so I'd address this in part by making the no-fee-kid seats start in the back of the plane.

I'd also split up the fee structure a little so "Sit together" is different than "Pick my seats" which in itself is also a value. (When I travel alone I always research on seatguru.com to find the best seats to sit in. I'm willing to pay more for good seats, reluctant for bad ones. That site is invaluable for fliers I think.) If fliers under a certain age are in a party then the person booking would be able to select the free "Sit together" option but have no control over seats. Groups of 3 are together (parent two kids), groups of 4 may be split into pairs (if two are adults), and so on. (I suspect the auto-assignment algorithm may actually work this way when parties like mine check in for their flight and are assigned seats.)

No ID is required to fly (domestically) until 18(?- possibly 16 but doesn't make a difference). So, what keeps a parent of a 15 year old from putting in a birthdate (when booking the ticket) to make that 15 year old 5 (whatever the "break point is") so they get free seat selection?
The requirement that they bring a birth certificate with them. The TSA agent that sees the DOB on his screen when they scan the BP. Not being willing to risk their FF status and points balances.

Then you have two options, you make it not fair to those without children by allowing parents to upgrade their seats from the middles they would have had to either window or aisle. Or you get rid of all basic economy fares and ULCCs, and probably SW too. If you require all tickets to include seat assignments.
I'm sure you're creative enough to figure out some of the many other options beyond those two extremes. In fact you mention Southwest right there, which has another approach that is IMHO fair and reasonable and has been pretty successful.

Didn't miss it, but It’s not a law its guidance and most airlines are saying we let you select 24 hours before so that’s good enough. There is no law at the moment, if you want it to be law fighting me on what’s happening in practice isn’t going to help. I fly often, and always even when flying alongs pay to select a seat.

I'm going based off of what the Transportation Secretary said in a press conference. It sounded like they were going to let airlines handle it themselves and in 4 months, they were going to make sure they were doing it or they were going to make it a law. I can't wait to get me some free seat selections.

anyone who's ever tried to sneak an older kid in as a lap child knows (unhappily) that airlines have systems for this.

And no, it wasn't me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter