Park Hopper

ashleyr409

DIS Veteran
Would you recommend Park Hopper for our first Disney Vacation?

We have never been to Disney and I am still researching a lot of information. I read a lot of tips on why we should, and why we shouldn't. Just thought I ask the experts.

Some detailed information:
Staying off site about 5.5 miles away.
Kids will be 15,12,6
Either we are taking our own car or maybe uber.
We are early birds. Plan on getting to park around 8am
Trip is 7 days 6 nights.

With 7 days, I'd say a hopper is a good idea. You can also add the hopper later if you'd rather see if a base ticket is fine. Hopping opens up choices as far as catching fireworks and eating where you want depending on the day, as well as escaping from a too crowded park.

We use a park hopper just about every day.

We hit the park at rope drop, or use Morning EMH. We take a daily break, necessary for our sanity! And then to a different park for dinner and Evening EMH hours.

If you are not taking a daily break, then a park hopper might not be necessary. It all depends on how you want to plan your days.

We have never been to Disney and I am still researching a lot of information. I read a lot of tips on why we should, and why we shouldn't. Just thought I ask the experts.

Kids will be 15,12,6
Trip is 7 days 6 nights.

I wouldn't if I were you. You can always add it after you arrive if you decide you need it. We had it on our first trip, but that was with a four-year-old who needed an afternoon nap daily. We would then go to a different park in the evening for dinner or shows. Since then we have only had it while we had annual passes. It was usual then as we would take shorter trips and wanted to experience multiple parks in one day.

since you're staying off-site, do you plan on leaving the parks at all during the day?

Depends on the kiddos. I was thinking..(if I have the hopper)

8am to 12pm go to a park

mid day break back at the condo.

5pm until close go to a park.

I know we will have to take some kind of break for my little one.

Another thing is on the first day(June1st) we will not be going to a park because of the drive to our condo(12-13 hours.)
Same for the last day (June 7th) no park. So we only have 5 days in between.

So 4 day base ticket(no hopper)
or 3 day ticket with (hopper)

I was kinda of thinking a rest day for kiddos, like shopping, eat, swimming and no park.

Another thing is on the first day(June1st) we will not be going to a park because of the drive to our condo(12-13 hours.)
Same for the last day (June 7th) no park. So we only have 5 days in between.

5 park days makes it less likely that you'd really need a hopper, but wanting a break in the middle of the day makes it more likely you'd want one just so you could split up your day in "fresh" parks. Just as a side note, my family and I like certain parks in the morning and certain ones at night, with a hopper we can make that happen more per trip because of the flexibility. With it being your first trip you are less likely to figure out which parks that would be for you guys, so maybe that doesn't help as much...

In this scenario, I would say get the 4 day base ticket. This will allow you one full day to see each of the 4 parks. Since you've never been there, everything will be new to you and you can easily take up an entire day at each of the parks.

On our first trips when we were staying off-site, we usually just got the base ticket. Going back to the car and then back to the condo and then back to the park each day was just too much of a waste of time for us. Since everything was still so new, it was easy for us to fill up an entire day at one park.

Have a great trip!!

In 4 previous trips we have never used a hopper and I don't plan on ever adding it. With this being your 1st trip you should be able to keep very busy each day you do have. I have noticed that a lot of the people who go a lot use them so get their favorite rides out of the way and then off to the next park. Having never been you don't really have favorites yet.

Depends on the kiddos. I was thinking..(if I have the hopper)

8am to 12pm go to a park

mid day break back at the condo.

5pm until close go to a park.

I know we will have to take some kind of break for my little one.

I would get the 4-day base tickets. You don't need a hopper to leave a park mid-day and then go back to that same park in the afternoon. The 4-day base will give you a full additional day in the parks over the 3-day PH.

My family got the hopper the couple times we went when I was a kid. When I went back as an adult (15-20 years later), I decided on not getting the hopper, but was upset I didn't afterwards. We were there for 6 park days, but only planned one day at AK and EP. We felt too rushed trying to cram everything into one day. While we did it, we like the flexibility of the hoppers. We got them last time, and will be getting them again this year. Even little things like popping into a park in the evening for a couple rides or the evening show is just awesome.

I think it would be tough in your spot though. 3 days with the hopper you won't really have much time to enjoy the flexibility of it (especially since it's your first time). If I were you I'd really try to save up the money to try to get the 4 days plus hopper. If you really can't make it work financially, I'd just do the 4 day no hopper

I am usually pro-hopper, but for this situation I say 4 days is much better than 3. That way you get a full day in each park! My family has been often and has always used hoppers, but I did a trip without hoppers and it was just as magical! Give yourself more days and don't stress, it'll be just as wonderful!

We just took our 4 year old for the first time a few weeks ago, and went with 6 day base tickets instead of hoppers. Had 2 days allocated to epcot and MK, and 1 day each for HS and EP. We had plenty of stuff to do in each park, and when our son needed a break, we found a nice place to rest (he actually took a nap wrapped in a blanket one afternoon in one of the little parks near Cinderella's castle) or we found rides or attractions to do that allowed him to rest (if not sleep). For example, waiting for the 3 pm Festival of Fantasy parade was awesome in letting his legs rest while feeling like he wasn't going to miss anything. If you have never been, I would say there is plenty to do in each park that you won't need hoppers, you could still leave in the afternoon but come back to the same park. Saves a bit of money if you don't rock the hoppers, which always helps!

I have never park hopped with kids but have as an adult. I find it hard to justify the time spent leaving, traveling, and entering another park during the day especially with tired kids. As an adult party it was okay. I agree with others that I would wait and see how it goes the first day. We are not early risers and don't ever leave the park mid day. One day in each park will be just enough or not even enough for your first trip!

I am usually pro-hopper, but for this situation I say 4 days is much better than 3. That way you get a full day in each park! My family has been often and has always used hoppers, but I did a trip without hoppers and it was just as magical! Give yourself more days and don't stress, it'll be just as wonderful!

Totally agree after seeing more details!!

Kids will be 15,12,6
Trip is 7 days 6 nights.

BTW, I wanted to add, I think your kids are at a perfect age for their first trip, and I hope you guys have an absolute ball! I know the planning can seem overwhelming, but hang in there, and have fun!

BTW, I wanted to add, I think your kids are at a perfect age for their first trip, and I hope you guys have an absolute ball! I know the planning can seem overwhelming, but hang in there, and have fun!

Thank you so much. Just picking dates has been crazy. Kids are excited and I just hope this is a great trip.

I have to tell myself," this is fun Ashley".

If you're not doing hoppers, I would honestly add a 5th day as that is the price point where additional days begin to get cheaper. Basically 90-100 per day up through day 4. Then to add the 5th day it's just an extra 20 bucks. So even if you only go half a day it's worth it. One day at MK just isn't enough IMO. I would spend 2 days at MK, 1 at Epcot, 1 at AK, and the partial day at DHS. With FP and a good RD plan you can be in an out in less than 2 hours, and that includes riding some things multiple times. I look at it as paying 20 dollars to not waste a days admission at studios and getting a 2nd day at MK instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter