• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Park report: they're finally enforcing the no-running rule! + park pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Crowds yesterday were fantastic! I haven’t seen the park that lightly attended since… ever! ;-). As many of us suspect, the good times will end once the reservation period comes to fruition (June 24). Then let the onslaught begin! ;-).

Wait times for rides was the lowest I’ve ever seen during the day. After several attractions, we headed to Pirates. At 9:30 it was still a walk-on. We went to Mansion immediately after that and it was also a walk-on. Had a great time.

They now have new DL maps that include SWL. They’re really nice. But what was even better was the special, commemorative SWL maps. They’re done on a higher-quality card stock and look fantastic. I was told at around 7:30 yesterday morning that what they’d put out for guests was the last they had. I’d be surprised if there any even any left today. I only have one pic of both. I’ve got one or two of the nice ones at home and can take much better pics, if anyone’s interested.

Now, the big news: for years, many of us have been frustrated or, indeed, enraged by the runners at rope drop that head for PP. Yesterday a guy about 24 took off at an Olympic sprint. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone run that fast anywhere, let alone at DL. We were trying to help a friend’s nieces (8 and 10) get a good spot in line and it annoyed us. I know that I quickened my pace a bit (yes, even though I know that running is against the rules). The problem with the rule is that I’ve never seen it enforced beyond the simple pleas of “Don’t run, please. Please don’t run!” which never seem to work. Yesterday, however, as we came through the castle, a (seeming) security CM was at the PP line. He wasn’t messing around. “Walk please!” he announced in a tone worthy of a drill sergeant (and rightly so). The sprinter literally ran around him and into the PP queue. This really annoyed the guy (and me and likely dozens of others). We’ve always hated that runners (i.e., cheaters) always prosper and never suffer any consequences for blatantly breaking park rules. Yesterday, however, the security guy wasn’t having it. He called/pulled the sprinter out of line and demanded his park ticket. Since I was behind him, he also asked for mine. Again, I regret that I may have run a bit. But as many of you know, runners tend to cause others to run. The principle of scarcity kicks in and suddenly there’s a guest stampede (of sorts). The CM demanded to know why the sprinter refused to stop. He replied “I didn’t hear you.” We both knew that was a bald-faced lie. He was pissed at the guy (again, rightly so and I’m glad he was). Anyway, he had both of our park tickets. He took a pic of the sprinter’s and presumably it was later entered into DL’s notorious “Treasured Guests” database. I don’t think he scanned mine, since I was reasonable, polite and apologized. The other guy was kind of a jerk. In any case, he was pulled out of line and didn’t get anything even close to first in line. I’m glad and so were many others. Walk with intention? Absolutely. An Olympic sprint? Absolutely not.

Gotta run -- no joke intended but I'll take it anyway -- so here are some pics:

This was the POTC queue later in the day. Still hardly anyone there! These are the golden days at the park and likely won't last.
IMG_0347.JPG

First in the park... except for those meddling kids (i.e., pesky CMs ;-)).
IMG_0309.JPG

I believe this is new. It's near the entrance to Plaza Inn. If it's been there all along then I've been willfully blind.
IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

Took this around 10:30. Look how many people weren't there ;-).
IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

The new park maps. The one on the right is the commemorative/collectable/souvenier map printed on higher-quality stock. I can take better pics if anyone's interested.
IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

I did reasonably well on Buzz yesterday. I was with a friend who's also pretty good but his first four scores of the day simply didn't come through. That's always frustrating, especially when you've got a great score. Sometime within the last month, I broke 2M on both guns and, of course, the score didn't come through. That's when you truly want to strangle Zurg! ;-).
IMG_0339.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve always been curious why they don’t “walk the rope” back instead of just dropping it. Doing that should reduce the runner problem. Certainly there are enough CMs at DL to figure out how to do it. Maybe hold people at the castle gate instead of mid-hub, and walk the rope under the castle into FL? That would at least stop the mad rush to Peter Pan.

It sucks to watch people break the rules and still get ahead. I'm sure it was nice to see someone actually paying the price for cheating.

Indeed it was. I don't know if there'll be any consequences beyond those already imposed. Throughout the day I looked for a security CM I know so I could tap into his insider knowledge. I'll look for him next Sunday and will update if I gather any credible intelligence ;-).

I’ve always been curious why they don’t “walk the rope” back instead of just dropping it. Doing that should reduce the runner problem. Certainly there are enough CMs at DL to figure out how to do it. Maybe hold people at the castle gate instead of mid-hub, and walk the rope under the castle into FL? That would at least stop the mad rush to Peter Pan.
I agree 100%. For a very short time (perhaps for two or three weeks in a row), a CM stood at the castle entrance and told guests that where she stood was the beginning of the PP line. By the time anyone got any real speed up, they were stopped. It's one of the best ideas I've seen to deal with runners. Wish they'd do it all the time. Now it seems they'll just take runners out of first place. I love the idea but the problem with it is that no one knows if runners will be stopped until guests arrive at PP. Maybe the runner will be pulled out of line, maybe he/she won't.

I agree 100%. For a very short time (perhaps for two or three weeks in a row), a CM stood at the castle entrance and told guests that where she stood was the beginning of the PP line. By the time anyone got any real speed up, they were stopped. It's one of the best ideas I've seen to deal with runners. Wish they'd do it all the time. Now it seems they'll just take runners out of first place. I love the idea but the problem with it is that no one knows if runners will be stopped until guests arrive at PP. Maybe the runner will be pulled out of line, maybe he/she won't.
Last time I was in DCA for rope drop, CMs walked the rope down Hollywood Blvd, and there were only a dozen people or so headed that way that morning. And at least in my experience, they’re walking the rope for the SWGE line. So why not make it standard for DL?

It’s great if they are enforcing “no running” but that just means that one person learns a lesson. There could still be a runner the next day, and the next day, etc. Walking the rope would mean there’s not really a chance to run.

They could even turn it into a little show. Maybe have a couple specially dressed CMs holding a golden rope at the entrance to the castle that they slowly walk back toward PP/FL at the appropriate time. Meanwhile a couple CMs are at the two side paths holding people back for just a moment so no one can try to “run around” the main rope. I don’t see why that couldn’t work.

It’s great if they are enforcing “no running” but that just means that one person learns a lesson. There could still be a runner the next day, and the next day, etc. Walking the rope would mean there’s not really a chance to run.

That was my original thought. But I suspect that word will get around. Guests who run care enough about their trip to DL that they'll do their online research and will know what the deal is. If it's children that are running, they'll likely be pulled aside and be given a talking to but won't be punished beyond that (and then having to be 299th on PP if they go at all).

I know that I quickened my pace a bit (yes, even though I know that running is against the rules). ... Again, I regret that I may have run a bit. But as many of you know, runners tend to cause others to run. The principle of scarcity kicks in and suddenly there’s a guest stampede (of sorts).

LOL! This may be my favorite report from you ever! Kudos especially for skillful deployment of the passive voice.

The reports that I've seen don't make it sound like there are many runners. In this example, there were two. Wonkakid has generally reported that he was first to PP (never running before now, of course!) or perhaps second. If many people are running or jogging, you'd expect a different outcome.

The advantage of not walking the rope is that the crowd naturally spreads a little as people travel at different rates and head to different destinations. I recall when they were walking the rope for cars land. Our group had to hold onto each other to keep strangers who were leapfrogging toward the front from shoving between us and separating the children. We still moved backwards significantly in the crowd. Stopping to pick up a dropped toy could get you stepped on because the crowd had momentum. It was even risky to split off for the other Carsland rides. We did it once, then decided that wasn't the kind of park touring we wanted to do.

I'm likely an outlier though, because reading Wonkakid's reports makes me very aware that I don't want to ride Peter Pan enough to jump through all those hoops in the morning!

Wow, look at those pictures! I'm so tempted to book a last minute trip the week of the 17th. What are the odds it'll stay pretty quiet right up to the 23rd?
Disney just unblocked cast from visiting DL for the next 2 weeks; up until yesterday they were only allowed to visit DCA until September so I think Disney is expecting the "low" crowd patterns to hold.

Last edited:
Disney just unblocked cast from visiting DL for the next 2 weeks up until yesterday they were only allowed to visit DCA until September so I think Disney is expecting the "low" crowd patterns to hold.

Wow thanks for this intel.

And all should remember last year's "Test" at this same time period. They can unblock Deluxe for any select days on very short notice. Last year they also launched AP "buddy" discount tickets at the same time.

We have an adult in this very thread who admits to running, maybe you could ask him if he is ignorant of the potential harm or if he simply doesn't care.
I obviously was referring to those who run like banshees are chasing them, not those like Rob, who admit to "quickening his pace." Such behavior is dangerous and inexcusable and should be dealt with accordingly.

I obviously was referring to those who run like banshees are chasing them, not those like Rob, who admit to "quickening his pace." Such behavior is dangerous and inexcusable and should be dealt with accordingly.

So if I understand your rule correctly, anyone moving as fast as Wonkakid or slower are fine, but anyone moving faster than him is an inexcusable danger? I’m pretty sure that’s his rule, too.

So if I understand your rule correctly, anyone moving as fast as Wonkakid or slower are fine, but anyone moving faster than him is an inexcusable danger? I’m pretty sure that’s his rule, too.
Well, in the words of the late great George Carlin... "anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac." Maybe the same thing applies here. 😁

Wow thanks for this intel.

And all should remember last year's "Test" at this same time period. They can unblock Deluxe for any select days on very short notice. Last year they also launched AP "buddy" discount tickets at the same time.

That's what makes me a bit nervous to book. We were there last year when that happened and the park was so busy!!!

Thank you. Those are the kinds of guests I was referring to as well. Runners are common. But full-out Olympic sprinters are relatively uncommon. I recall seeing four -- all in the past 18 months or so -- in my life, all of which were adults. When children run, they're fast but they're nothing compared to an experienced adult sprinter. Approximately once every eight weeks there are no runners and everyone walks, fast or otherwise.

FWIW, Disney defines running as not having one foot on the ground at all times. Always having one foot on the ground is much safer, obviously. I've always been a fast walker and can cover a lot of ground quickly while still remaining safe. As another aside, CMs have told me more than once that they see runners at the rope fall once per week on average.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter