Parking scooter on bus

The issue is not time but drivers having their hands crushed when a guest moves a scooter during tiedown. It is the number 1 injury to bus drivers. From what I have heard the drivers load the scooters. The guests will not back onto the bus themselves.

I did notice during our September trip that the drivers were being VERY conscientious about making sure that mobility device users of all kinds were powered down before touching anything.

I hate to hear that drivers have been injured by Guests who have accidentally moved a scooter during the tiedown process. Sadly, at Disney World there are so many folks who do not use an ECV in their every day life, and are overwhelmed by the experience, which could lead to an injury for the driver if they are unable to process commands appropriately.

Re: the driver loading the scooters backwards - I know you may not be in a place to know, or find out, but what about people who cannot walk up the ramp, and need to ride on to the bus? Before I began using my powerchair full time, I used my personal TravelScoot, even once I reached a point where I couldn't transfer. I had to ride up the ramp; there was no other option for me.

I realize there is no "one size fits all" solution; I think that we will all be interested in how different mobility devices are handled with the new buses, and especially the new "automated" system that will require Guests to ride backwards. I agree with @lanejudy - I believe there are going to be a LOT of requests for the forward-facing spot. I will happily ride backwards; that bothers me less than my concerns about the beeping of the unit; I can only imagine how much every.single.passenger *inside* that bus is going to absolutely hate, loathe & despise that beeping the the Quantum units will make as they are deployed, and released. People are already unhappy about the commotion of the ramp being deployed; I fear that the Quantum units - no matter how cool the LED lights look - are going to cause a real backlash in the bi-pedal community.

Edited to add:

I think it's really important that we let everyone - especially our newest mobility device users - know to turn off the power as soon as you are correctly parked.

With that in mind, I have edited my "How to ECV" boilerplate post tonight to add the following section. I know it won't cure everything; only a small minority of people who use ECVs at WDW will likely ever see it, but if it helps even one driver avoid injury, it's worth it.

Here's the new text I added, exactly as it appears:

This is very important to remember: Once you have successfully parked your mobility device, you MUST turn it off completely. This is for both your safety, as well as the driver's. Any time your device is parked on a bus, boat, Monorail or Skyliner (or ride vehicle) it must be turned off completely for safety.

Last edited:
Someone needs to design a bus that allows ECV and wheelchairs to roll straight in and out. If it can be done for a cargo plane... ooh maybe a double decker type bus...

View attachment 804665
City transit buses load from the front and passengers roll right it. There is more space at the front of the bus because of having no seats on the wheel wells, so easier to manouver.
I'm not sure why Disney chose buses with rear ramps - except that theirold buses many, many years ago had rear lifts. That was probably all that was available at that point that long ago.

Re: the driver loading the scooters backwards - I know you may not be in a place to know, or find out, but what about people who cannot walk up the ramp, and need to ride on to the bus? Before I began using my powerchair full time, I used my personal TravelScoot, even once I reached a point where I couldn't transfer. I had to ride up the ramp; there was no other option for me.

I realize there is no "one size fits all" solution; I think that we will all be interested in how different mobility devices are handled with the new buses, and especially the new "automated" system that will require Guests to ride backwards. I agree with @lanejudy - I believe there are going to be a LOT of requests for the forward-facing spot.
I will happily ride backwards; that bothers me less than my concerns about the beeping of the unit; I can only imagine how much every.single.passenger *inside* that bus is going to absolutely hate, loathe & despise that beeping the the Quantum units will make as they are deployed, and released. People are already unhappy about the commotion of the ramp being deployed; I fear that the Quantum units - no matter how cool the LED lights look - are going to cause a real backlash in the bi-pedal community.

Edited to add:

I think it's really important that we let everyone - especially our newest mobility device users - know to turn off the power as soon as you are correctly parked.

With that in mind, I have edited my "How to ECV" boilerplate post tonight to add the following section. I know it won't cure everything; only a small minority of people who use ECVs at WDW will likely ever see it, but if it helps even one driver avoid injury, it's worth it.

This is very important to remember: Once you have successfully parked your mobility device, you MUST turn it off completely. This is for both your safety, as well as the driver's. Any time your device is parked on a bus, boat, Monorail or Skyliner (or ride vehicle) it must be turned off completely for safety.
we won't know exactly how the new system works until they start coming into use. The different videos show ECVs, manual and power wheelchairs, so probably will use for all.
I've heard new buses are coming in next week - not sure if that means they are coming for the drivers to be instructed on use of the new system or if that's happened already and they will actually be starting to use them.
Also, don't know how many of the new buses will have the new system installed or if drivers will be driving all ECVs on. It might be just temporarily as the drivers get used to where devices need to make a turn and how much line up or just for people who feel uncomfortable driving in themselves.

Thinking of watching people driving their ECVs onto the bus, my GUESS is that the spot closest to the back door will be the rear facing automated system and the spot toward the front will stay front facing.
I've seen a lot of ECV drivers, even some experienced ones having issues with driving on, turning to clear the ramp and seats, then go forward, make another backing turn and back into the space. Getting off requires going forward at a turn to clear the area, then turn tight to get lined up to the ramp. I've seen multiple people almost tip because they turn too sharply to line up with the ramp when getting off.
Even though it sounds hard, backing on may not be as hard as people think. Back straight up the ramp, then make slight turn to line up with the securement device. Getting off would be slight turn going forward, then forward down the ramp. May be a lot less manouvering in total.

Your info about ECVs is very useful - you may want to reword your reworded part a little more to make it clear the ECV needs to be turned off before/while the driver is securing it.

I know this probably isn't the place, but talking about Cast Members being hit by ECVs that aren't powered down, I know this happens on the Skyliner also. Remember, on the Skyliner you drive on, back off. But you're not supposed to turn your scooter on until the CM takes the blocks out and says you can. Well, one time, while I was waiting, I turned my ECV on. No, I didn't move, didn't hit the CM, but she suddenly yelled at me "No, No-don't turn it on until I say you can!" A couple seconds later, when all was OK and I backed out, she apologized for yelling, but that she'd seen CMs hit by ECVs that turned their scooter on and started backing out too soon. I feel so bad-you don't always realize how dangerous some of the CM's jobs are!

I did notice during our September trip that the drivers were being VERY conscientious about making sure that mobility device users of all kinds were powered down before touching anything.

I hate to hear that drivers have been injured by Guests who have accidentally moved a scooter during the tiedown process. Sadly, at Disney World there are so many folks who do not use an ECV in their every day life, and are overwhelmed by the experience, which could lead to an injury for the driver if they are unable to process commands appropriately.

I realize there is no "one size fits all" solution; I think that we will all be interested in how different mobility devices are handled with the new buses, and especially the new "automated" system that will require Guests to ride backwards. I agree with @lanejudy - I believe there are going to be a LOT of requests for the forward-facing spot. I will happily ride backwards; that bothers me less than my concerns about the beeping of the unit; I can only imagine how much every.single.passenger *inside* that bus is going to absolutely hate, loathe & despise that beeping the the Quantum units will make as they are deployed, and released. People are already unhappy about the commotion of the ramp being deployed; I fear that the Quantum units - no matter how cool the LED lights look - are going to cause a real backlash in the bi-pedal community.

Edited to add:

This is very important to remember: Once you have successfully parked your mobility device, you MUST turn it off completely. This is for both your safety, as well as the driver's. Any time your device is parked on a bus, boat, Monorail or Skyliner (or ride v ehicle) it must be turned off completely for safety.

Edited to add:

Thank you. We are also required to ask that the key be removed before we start the tiedown. I will say I am having a hard time remembering to ask. As to walking up the ramp, you can stay in your scooter and the driver can drive it on for you. I always tell the guests that they can remain on the scooter and I will load it. I am not sure how the power wheelchairs will get loaded.

Revised text: I am certainly open to help making sure this is as clear as possible for our new friends who are going to use an ECV for the first time. Thanks!

This is very important to remember: Once you have successfully parked your mobility device, you MUST turn it off completely. This is for both your safety, as well as the driver's; the ECV MUST be turned off before the driver can begin the tie-down process, as well as while the driver is securing it.​
Any time your device is parked on a bus, boat, Monorail or Skyliner (or ride vehicle) it must be turned off completely for safety.

I suspect the request to remove your key is a way to verify the scooter is off.

Thank you Lewis - I forgot one of the most important things!

I will go edit (again) the latest version I posted, as well as my boilerplate version on my computer. It's important; knowledge is power, but *incorrect* information shared can be damaging.

Thanks again!

°O° °o° °o° °o° °O° °o° °o° °o° °O°

This is very important to remember: Once you have successfully parked your mobility device, you MUST turn it off completely AND remove the key. This is for both your safety, as well as the driver's; the ECV MUST be turned off before the driver can begin the tie-down process, as well as while the driver is securing it.

Any time your device is parked on a bus, boat, Monorail or Skyliner (or ride vehicle) it must be turned off completely for safety.

I suspect the request to remove your key is a way to verify the scooter is off.
I remember the bus drivers asking that, and I always show my wrist so he sees that I've done it and that now the key is safely on my wrist. I think it would be a good idea for CMs at the Skyliner to consider that wording. Except the at Riviera, if the ECV rider has trouble getting their key back in, there could be a problem, since the Skyway slows but doesn't stop.

Thank you. We are also required to ask that the key be removed before we start the tiedown. I will say I am having a hard time remembering to ask. As to walking up the ramp, you can stay in your scooter and the driver can drive it on for you. I always tell the guests that they can remain on the scooter and I will load it. I am not sure how the power wheelchairs will get loaded.
No matter how experienced the power wheelchair driver is, there are some differences between power wheelchair drive wheels that affect backing up.
My daughter has had 3 power wheelchairs. The first was rear wheel drive; second was midwheel and her current one is front wheel. The drive wheels are the large wheels and are the only ones with power; the other smaller wheels are casters get pushed or pulled by the drive wheels.
Rear wheel has the largest turning radius and, at least in my daughter's experience, was the easiest to back straight because, if the rear wheels are going straight, there is only one set of casters and the get pulled in the same direction as the rear wheels. As far as I know, all the less expensive, foldable power chairs are rear wheel drive.
Midwheels have the shortest turning radius and are next easiest (in our experience) to back up. They have one set of casters on the front (pulled) and one on the back (pushed).
Front wheel is most challenging, especially in unfamiliar situations because the majority or the chair is behind the driver and they may have some difficulty seeing behind them. The rear casters are pushed by the power wheels and sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. If they are already turned before the driver starts backing, it's hard to back straight.

If they are already turned before the driver starts backing, it's hard to back straight.
I was told by the seating clinic when my powerchair was delivered to me, that I needed to give myself a little extra space when backing up to account for this.

It’s been several years since I was full-time in my chair. With a lot of hard work, I was blessed to regain most of my function after that one very bad MS relapse. So far (knock wood) I haven’t had any new attacks as bad as that one was.

I hope at this point, I am someday able to forget more than I remember about using it. But anything can happen, so I never take anything for granted.

Something that many aren't mentioning here is that if you can transfer, it is always safer to transfer than to remain on the ECV. Most ECV manuals mention this, but a lot are unaware of this.

*I* fully agree that it's not safe to do, however it was both routine and common during our 2 week in September for drivers to belt the scooter rider in for the trip.

I would rather let folks know what to expect based on recent experience, so that they are not surprised when the driver insists you stay seated on the scooter, and use the seat belt.
I’ve been going to WDW on a scooter multiple times a year for many years - I’ve always remained seated on my scooter and belted in when I ride the bus.

*I* fully agree that it's not safe to do, however it was both routine and common during our 2 week in September for drivers to belt the scooter rider in for the trip.

I would rather let folks know what to expect based on recent experience, so that they are not surprised when the driver insists you stay seated on the scooter, and use the seat belt.
The response to the bus driver is to ask them to sign a liability waiver indicating that they take full responsibility if there are any injuries that result as your scooter manufacturer specifically states it is not safe to remain on the scooter. They will likely back down real fast.

I’ve been going to WDW on a scooter multiple times a year for many years - I’ve always remained seated on my scooter and belted in when I ride the bus.
DH and I used to as well until a friend of ours was on a Disney bus and their scooter tipped over when it went around the corner and broker her thigh bone, even though it was allegedly properly secured, so no more, we WILL transfer if at all possible, no matter how much the bus driver objects (if they insist, we ask them to sign a liability waiver stating they take responsibility for all injuries by insisting that we do not follow proper safety protocols, they back down fast), remaining on the scooter is not very safe.

I used a scooter last year and only had an issue one time.
The bus driver had me stay on the scooter (most times I sat with the family) and he strapped it down but not correctly.
We went around a turn and the whole thing started to fall over but I put my good leg down and caught myself before it tipped.
There was a collective gasp as it happened.
Fortunately, my only issue is a badly arthritic knee so I avoided the catastrophe that would have happened if I had been an old or more highly disabled passenger. I told the driver as we were getting off and he looked pretty mortified so hopefully he will never make the same mistake again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter