Part Disney, part beach vacation. Recommendations for gulf side accommodations?

kalamazoo

Mouseketeer
I was inspired by a previous post to ask this question here. Hope you all can help.

We would like to spend part of our trip to Florida in a place on the beach. The catch is that we need 2 rooms for us and our kids because it is almost impossible to sleep in same room as ds (unless we want to go to bed same time as him (no lights, no tv)). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place that has suites or rental homes on or near the beach anywhere along the gulf coast?

TIA

We stayed in the greatest place a couple of years ago! It's called Longboat Key, I think, off the coast of Sarasota (about an hour south of Tampa.) We stayed at the Holiday Inn right on the beach and had a kidsuite where the kids had a set of bunkbeds in a little divided room area behind the bathroom. They have an indoor and an outdoor pool, you can rent a little cabana, for lack of a better word, with two seats and an umbrella and get drinks from the beach bar. The gulf is calm and warm. Kids eat free in the restaurant which was better than any holiday inn restaurant I've ever eaten in. Where the indoor pool is it's actually the entire inner courtyard that is inside and there was a gameroom, fitness center, shuffleboard and I can't remember what all. I really can't say enough about it. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to dig up my old info for you.

Hi,I would highly recommend Sanibel or Captiva Islands, preferabbly Captiva-it is so beautiful there!!!! It is like gillagins island but with luxury, thick, tropical foilage, very laid back, not a typical touristy beach place, lots of wild life, birds everywhere , perfect ocean we saw dolphins every day. We have rented a 3 bed home through American Realty of Captiva and have been very satisfied.It is not a jumpin place , the fun of the evening is to watch the beautiful sunsets over the ocean or walk or bike ride to some of the islands restaurants which again are very laid back, usually have live music outside and deilcious food! I will have to look up the website where you can get more in fo on these hidden treasures of Florida!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Captiva and Sanibel Island is beautiful....great shell hunting, also. There are several efficiency type accomodations on the islands that have bedroom, living room and kitchen. There are several posted on the web. If your trip is planned for the summer you will find some awesome buys.....it is the off season there in the summer. Destin Fla is also nice, but it is in north west fla and the summer is their season.
If you are traveling by car and will take your return trip up the west coast of fla there is a state park called Homossas Springs. It is wonderful. They have rescued manatee, wildlife, boat ride, and much more. The kids were amazed and we all loved it.

Thank you so much for the information. I have, in fact, been to these areas over the years (except for Destin - I will get there sometime. Have heard lots of good things about the place) and have enjoyed all of them. I will investigate the places you all suggested.

We are currently at Palm Bay Club in Siesta Key, FL. It is a 2 hour drive from Disney. It is 45 minutes from Tampa, and about 20 minutes from Sarasota Airport. We have been coming here for years. The beach has the whitest, cleanest sand anywhere! The sand IS actually white! This place has three different places to choose from. The Towers right on the beach, the bay side, which has it;s own pool and spa right on the inland bay..this is where we stay...and then another place in the middle. It has tennis courts, and two pools, heated, and a game room with a pool/ping pong table. This is the only place in Siesta Key that has access to both the gulf bay and the beach. The beach is private, for guests only...this is not a public beach. It is heaven! THe units are beautifully maintained with two bedrooms two baths kitchen and living room. They also have patios. There are washer/dryers on each floor as well. If you want more info, email me at duetchkey@cs.com and I will be happy to help. We comes here several times a year. There is also a website called palmbayclub.com, i think it is called!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter