"Past Disney" July 2023 Exercise Challenge

I think I only did ExtraTERRORestrial once because, well, I was terrified. And I only did Stitch's Great Escape once because it was annoying.
We did ExtraTERRORestrial twice - the first time my brother claimed the alien walking behind him squished his shoulders too much. The second time he pushed his shoulders up really high so he wouldn't get squished...only to wrench his shoulder and complain about it all day. Brothers.

47 more minutes. My favorite running shoes have changed drastically, so I switched brands...and only got a mile in with the new shoes before my feet were complaining. Running shoes are almost as persnickty as brothers.

Raya - 260/400

MK once boasted two water attractions that are no more.

The Plaza Swan boats transported guests on a tour of the moats of the hub and into Adventureland to circle the Swiss Family Treehouse. They operated between 1973 and 1983. But the plaza dock remained until 2014--did you ever notice it? There are tributes to the Swan boats in the Skipper Canteen.

The Mike Fink Keel Boats were small boats on the Rivers of America. This attraction was named after a race between Davy Crockett and Mike Fink in The Legends of Davy Crockett, when Crockett and Fink raced their keel boats to New Orleans. The keel boats ran from 1971 to 2001. (Interestingly, the keel boats at Disneyland were the actual boats used in the Davy Crockett show, with seats and some windows added. The DLR ride closed after one of the boats, the Gullywhumper, tipped over and dropped guests into the Rivers of America in 1997.)

Wow I can’t imagine Swan Boats flowing around the moats at MK. Have to admit I’ve never noticed the Plaza dock either. I love how there are tributes to past rides around the park.

I must have seen the dock but never paid attention. Yesterland has pictures from 2009–it’s there—and 2015–it’s gone.

I have noticed the docks at AK, though. Those were for the Discovery River Boats, which only lasted a year.

MK once boasted two water attractions that are no more.

The Plaza Swan boats transported guests on a tour of the moats of the hub and into Adventureland to circle the Swiss Family Treehouse. They operated between 1973 and 1983. But the plaza dock remained until 2014--did you ever notice it? There are tributes to the Swan boats in the Skipper Canteen.

The Mike Fink Keel Boats were small boats on the Rivers of America. This attraction was named after a race between Davy Crockett and Mike Fink in The Legends of Davy Crockett, when Crockett and Fink raced their keel boats to New Orleans. The keel boats ran from 1971 to 2001. (Interestingly, the keel boats at Disneyland were the actual boats used in the Davy Crockett show, with seats and some windows added. The DLR ride closed after one of the boats, the Gullywhumper, tipped over and dropped guests into the Rivers of America in 1997.)
I've heard that a water attraction was originally planned for the water ways in Animal Kingdom, but someone decided people wouldn't have wanted a slow boat ride... this old lady would have loved it.

edited to add: jinx as sophy just posted the same. I went to AK right after it opened but didn't like it so it was probably four years before I went back, so I must have missed it.

Last edited:

Congratulations to me for turning 1990s Red and to Oneanne for turning 2000s Green! The TEAM currently stands at 95.4%.

Finishing up our tour of past Walt Disney World, let's take a quick look at Disney's shopping and dining district, now known as Disney Springs.

It opened in 1975 as Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village. In 1977, the name changed to the Walt Disney World Village. Then in the 1980s, it became known as the Disney Village Marketplace. It was during this time (in 1989) that Pleasure Island, an adults-only area of nightclubs and bars, was added. In 1997, the district took on the more familiar moniker of Downtown Disney.

Downtown Disney had 3 sections -- Pleasure Island, the Marketplace, and the West Side. In 1998, the West Side saw the opening of a virtual reality and game complex -- DisneyQuest.

In 2008, Disney announced it was closing the nightclubs of Pleasure Island, leaving the restaurants and shops in the area known as the Landing. Folks were pretty upset, especially about losing the Adventurers' Club.

In 2013, Disney announced plans for Disney Springs, which involved a major expansion of businesses. The first phase of Disney Springs opened in 2016.

In 2017, DisneyQuest was closed. It was replaced by The NBA Experience, which lasted only a couple of years.

We were fortunate enough to be able to experience the Adventurers' Club. And we loved DisneyQuest, though it was pretty run down in its last years. We particularly enjoyed the virtual reality Pirates ride, where you were able to sail the seas and shoot cannons to protect your treasure stash. Apparently that was the technology that was used for the Toy Story Midway Mania ride.

And with that, we're at the end of the month--thanks for reminiscing with me! I'll be back to add any last minutes, so post them if you have them.

Some of my fondest memories are of times spent in Downtown Disney. Sandpits for little kids to play in (1993 trip) while parents sat under the shade of a tree watching. Loved how easy it was then to slow down and relax. No need to prebook restaurants months in advance, we wandered into Chef Mickey, which was overlooking the water, and got a table with minimal wait and another time ate breakfast on the paddleboat ( can’t remember what it was called then) again just on the spur of the moment. Happy times.
Thanks for all your hard work @sophy1996 you really brought me back some happy times and I even learnt some park history too 😊

Congratulations to me for turning 1990s Red and to Oneanne for turning 2000s Green! The TEAM currently stands at 95.4%.

Finishing up our tour of past Walt Disney World, let's take a quick look at Disney's shopping and dining district, now known as Disney Springs.

It opened in 1975 as Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village. In 1977, the name changed to the Walt Disney World Village. Then in the 1980s, it became known as the Disney Village Marketplace. It was during this time (in 1989) that Pleasure Island, an adults-only area of nightclubs and bars, was added. In 1997, the district took on the more familiar moniker of Downtown Disney.

Downtown Disney had 3 sections -- Pleasure Island, the Marketplace, and the West Side. In 1998, the West Side saw the opening of a virtual reality and game complex -- DisneyQuest.

In 2008, Disney announced it was closing the nightclubs of Pleasure Island, leaving the restaurants and shops in the area known as the Landing. Folks were pretty upset, especially about losing the Adventurers' Club.

In 2013, Disney announced plans for Disney Springs, which involved a major expansion of businesses. The first phase of Disney Springs opened in 2016.

In 2017, DisneyQuest was closed. It was replaced by The NBA Experience, which lasted only a couple of years.

We were fortunate enough to be able to experience the Adventurers' Club. And we loved DisneyQuest, though it was pretty run down in its last years. We particularly enjoyed the virtual reality Pirates ride, where you were able to sail the seas and shoot cannons to protect your treasure stash. Apparently that was the technology that was used for the Toy Story Midway Mania ride.

And with that, we're at the end of the month--thanks for reminiscing with me! I'll be back to add any last minutes, so post them if you have them.
I rarely go to Disney Springs anymore. I always stay at POP and I feel like the walk to the POP stop at the bus station is at least 3 miles... just can't make myself do it.

+30 minutes... not a lot for yesterday, there's just a lot going on right now. A good beach walk would have helped last night, but the tides are high for evening walks right now.

1455/1395... 104%

Thank you Sophy for hosting, it was fun to reminisce.

So...about August - I'm happy to help host, but I'll be in the parks the last week of the month so I can't do any totaling up. Does anyone want to co-host? Or host completely, I'm happy to just play along if someone was already thinking of it.

In 1998, the West Side saw the opening of a virtual reality and game complex -- DisneyQuest.
We loved DisneyQuest!!
So...about August - I'm happy to help host, but I'll be in the parks the last week of the month so I can't do any totaling up. Does anyone want to co-host? Or host completely, I'm happy to just play along if someone was already thinking of it.
I'd be happy to co-host, as I have the exact opposite scheduling problem - a big event I'm helping with at the beginning of the month, but more free time at the end. You go ahead and start, and I can take over half-way through. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter