Pay to use the rest room?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Does anyone here, who's old enough, remember back in the 50s, having to pay to use the individual stalls, at least in the ladies room? I was just a child, but I have a vague memory of the little coin slots and sometimes waiting with my mother for someone to come out and hold the door open so we didn't have to pay. This was in Massachusetts. Anyone else remember?

Does anyone here, who's old enough, remember back in the 50s, having to pay to use the individual stalls, at least in the ladies room? I was just a child, but I have a vague memory of the little coin slots and sometimes waiting with my mother for someone to come out and hold the door open so we didn't have to pay. This was in Massachusetts. Anyone else remember?
I remember in CA (probably LA) seeing this at McDonald's probably (this was in 90s).

Yes! We'd either wait for someone to hold the door for us or wait until the restroom was empty and crawl under the door to unlock it. This was the early '60s. I think it was 10 cents to use otherwise.

I don't remember that. I remember paying a small amount of money and getting a spritz of perfume from a holder mounted on the wall of the ladies' room, though.

I remember way back in my younger days a store named Woolworth that I think we had to put a dime in the slot to use their restrooms. This would have been early 1970's or so.

Ours in Canada was Woolco, and it was also a dime. I seem to recall my mother never having one, and sending me under the door to unlock it. Gross now that I think of it 🤮

I remember going to a motorcycle show with an arcade nearby as a child. My family and a friend's family. The bathroom's we're pay bathrooms. My friend and I climbed under the doors over and over again, and were rewarded with arcade money. Not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think it was a quarter and everyone was giving us ten cents.

They had paid toilet in Boston in Fanieul hall into the 80’s. There were also paid ones in the mall. When we visited Scotland a lot of toilets are pay and I didn’t have any coins on me. Thankfully a nice woman gave me 20 p so I didn’t pee! 🤣

I remember in CA (probably LA) seeing this at McDonald's probably (this was in 90s).

I remember seeing that in LA, but they would give you a free token that worked if you were buying food. We don't really have that around here so I was surprised. Some places will keep a key, but they will let you take it, usually even if you don't buy something.

Luckily for me, at said train station, the guards usually take pity on you and let you in anyway. Underinvestment in public services mean that public bathrooms have largely been transformed into bijou cafés now!

I remember that growing up the 1960s. Especially PA Turnpike since we used to drive regularly from South Jersey to outside of Altoona to visit my Dad's Grandparents. .

Grew up in Massachusetts in the early 70's and I absolutely remember this! You had to slip a dime in the slot and turn the knob to unlock the door. I remember them in a department store we would frequent. We would also hold the door for anyone else who may have been waiting in the bathroom. LOL...hadn't thought about those in a long time!!

Boston girl… never went anywhere without a dime in my pocket.

Even now, if someone needs the toilet in my house, I say “leave a quarter on the sink”… inflation LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter