Peacock Streaming

We've had it for awhile and enjoy the programming. The game last night looked incredible!

As a no longer NFL watcher, is this really any different than TNF being on Amazon? Granted, that's regular season vs playoffs, but same idea, right?

I agree with a comment I saw somewhere about someone complaining that they're already paying for NBC via their cable/satellite/streaming service, why should they have to pay again.

With ESPN getting ready to launch a streaming only service, I expect to see more of this and not less.

I remember a number of years ago when March Madness got split onto cable channels and not just on CBS, that caused a bunch of uproar too.

We got it in the summer when they started putting some baseball games on Peacock only and we had issues getting some shows we missed On Demand.
I believe we only pay $7.99. We watched the game I am a huge football fan and plan to see almost every game this weekend/Monday.

As a sports lover, I know I have to pay up if I want to watch certain ones. I pay for ESPN+ for Hockey, I pay for Peacock for racing, baseball and wrestling (for my son), I paid for Apple TV for baseball, I have Amazon Prime so I get TNF. I pay out quite a bit but to us it's worth it.

Next year, if you are a Nascar fan, get ready! That too is going streaming for some of the Summer races (Amazon).

Peacock used to be free (a commercial-airing tier) for cable/satellite subscribers where there was a local NBC station in the package, but that was discontinued. However, I've got Comcast internet, and that tier of Peacock is a "reward" that I cashed in. It was weird though trying to set it up last year.

No, no one in our family or that I know signed up either. The price is tempting, but I have enough streaming services to watch now.

We already have Peacock, but it was free with some credit cards. If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Preferred, or one of the Freedoms, you can get up to 1yr (depending on card) Instacart+ for free. Someone said some Amex cards had that benefit, as well. I think it stinks that the NFL makes you pay to watch some of the games. They can make money through advertisements. This was just extra.

I got Peacock yesterday but not for the game. I saw there was a deal and there were a few shows I wanted to rewatch. I didn’t realize there were commercials on Peacock :headache:

I got Peacock yesterday but not for the game. I saw there was a deal and there were a few shows I wanted to rewatch. I didn’t realize there were commercials on Peacock :headache:
You can get commercial free Peacock. It is the Premium Plus option. $9.99/month vs $5.99/month. Not worth the extra money to me.

You can get commercial free Peacock. It is the Premium Plus option. $9.99/month vs $5.99/month. Not worth the extra money to me.
What did/does commercial free Peacock do during a commercial break in a live sporting event? Not being snarky, genuinely curious.

I mentioned ESPN at least talking about offering a streaming only plan (to cover content from ESPN, separate from ESPN+). They're also in talks with the NFL about partnering. I think how we watch broadcast sports is going to change in 5(?) years, probably definitely within 10.

DH knows the owner of a local sports bar who said that if he wants Peacock for one t.v. in the bar it will cost him $3500 per year. and i thought the fees for a private residence were price gouging.
Business rates for most anything have always been much more than residential.

The idea being that the business needs to share in the additional revenue they get by having the service.

There was much outrage recently in Las Vegas when F1 demanded large sums of money from business owners along the route who would benefit from the race. There were threats that if the business did not pay up, F1 would put up barricades or use lighting to ensure that patrons of the business were not able to view the race.

I had the same offer for a free month of the $5.99 tier on my Amex card. I took it, watched the game, and will cancel Peacock before any actual charges happen. As another poster mentioned, this sadly seems to be the wave of the future. If a huge streamer makes a sufficient offer, one day we will see the Super Bowl behind a paywall.

In reference to the question about ads during live events, I believe the fine print exempts such programming from the no-commercials option. So that means everybody gets the commercials no matter what service tier of Peacock they have.

What did/does commercial free Peacock do during a commercial break in a live sporting event? Not being snarky, genuinely curious.
I watched something live awhile back and totally expected commercials but instead it was just a screen that said something like "your show will resume shortly" with the most annoying music ever.

I don't know why they didn't just air the commercials. I don't have the ad free version and don't mind commercials. Give one a chance to run to the kitchen for a drink or snack.

I don't know why they didn't just air the commercials. I don't have the ad free version and don't mind commercials. Give one a chance to run to the kitchen for a drink or snack.
It comes down to whether they have the rights to air the commercials in a specific market I believe. I don't know how often commercials are different in Kansas City (for example) vs Orlando. Referring to the network inserted commercials, not the locally inserted ones of course.

I didn't watch the game and I'm not going to pay for the service just to watch an NFL game at this time. I don't do pay per view stuff either.

We did not buy into Peacock for last night’s playoff game, but I see it in our future for Olympics coverage. If they’re bold enough to limit an NFL playoff game to a paid subscription service, it only seems logical that they’d do the same for a couple of weeks of events. I think they did some of this last time as well. At least we’d be buying in for more than a singular game.

As a no longer NFL watcher, is this really any different than TNF being on Amazon? Granted, that's regular season vs playoffs, but same idea, right?
The thing in Prime’s pocket is they at least have around 200M global subscribers, Peacock prior to this game had in the 30-40M range.

The thing in Prime’s pocket is they at least have around 200M global subscribers, Peacock prior to this game had in the 30-40M range.
Still the same IMO. Remember when MNF went to ESPN, meaning you had to pay in order to see it? Then CBS moved March Madness (and part(?) of the Final 4) to their cable channels. Then Amazon picked up TNF. Now Peacock is getting into the mix. Everyone wants their money.

To say nothing about watching MLB & NBA games.

It comes down to whether they have the rights to air the commercials in a specific market I believe. I don't know how often commercials are different in Kansas City (for example) vs Orlando. Referring to the network inserted commercials, not the locally inserted ones of course.

Maybe. Just seemed odd to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter