• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peloton, echelon, etc

erin1715

DIS Veteran
I’m looking for some info/experiences that ppl have with pelotons vs echelons vs another at home cycling program.
It looks like with both peloton and echelon that you are required to pay a monthly membership fee at least for a year. But I’m a little confused as to why that’s needed with the peloton since it appears that anyone can access the classes via their app for a lot cheaper.
So I’d love to hear what people think.

I love my Peloton. My husband and I both use it pretty much daily. Paying the Peloton monthly fee vs. just using the app wouldn't be worth the cost savings, IMHO. Your cadence and resistance are integrated with the Peloton software so it would not be the same experience if you are just using the app. Also, I do like seeing myself on the leaderboard. I compete with myself and you wouldn't be able to see if you've gotten a personal record or not.

I have a ProForm, its part of the same company as NordicTrack. It uses iFit, which also requires a monthly subscription, the first year is included with the bike. I love everything about it. I have used a friend's Peloton a few times and don't feel any significant difference from mine.

The app and the more Expensive membership contain the same classes. You can’t use the app on the computer screen that comes with the bike, thus you’d be buying an expensive bike with screen and not be using the technology. I don’t know why there is such a big price difference for people who did and didn’t actually purchase the equipment. If you like the app, and don’t want to pay the membership fee, buy a different bike and just use the app.

The classes are awesome and include lots of other options besides cycling. I just purchased a Nordic Track treadmill, which came with IFit, also with a range of workouts.

I've used the peloton app with a non peloton spin bike and struggled with the experience. As someone else said, part of the benefit of subscription and bike is the integration of all of your stats and metrics with your rides. I haven't tried the echelon so can't comment there.

Last edited:
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I’m really leaning towards the Peloton because I know myself and I’ve tried going with a less expensive version of something before and wasn’t satisfied so ended up buying what I really wanted anyway.

I really like the Peloton. In addition to the metrics that come with the bike, the more expensive subscription is a family subscription. You can add multiple account. So my husband, my father and I all have an account under the one membership. So if there are other people that would use it, that makes it more cost effective too. And there are some other small benefits, like scenic rides that are only on the more expensive account.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I’m really leaning towards the Peloton because I know myself and I’ve tried going with a less expensive version of something before and wasn’t satisfied so ended up buying what I really wanted anyway.

I was not going to get the Peloton at first. I figured that I would get a cheaper bike and then use the app. My husband talked me into the Peloton. I wasn’t sure I’d like it (I hated spin class at the gym) and didn’t want to waste money. I’m so glad I bought it. I really do love it and I find the classes really motivating. I look forward to riding every day. Surprisingly, my husband loves it too. I talked him into taking a ride with Alex and he’s been hooked ever since.

I have a nordic track. You can use it without the Ifit program (first year free) but I did get a deal on the 3 year program. The ifit really helps motivate me as I can travel to a different place every day! I have not been on a plane in over 1 year so this helps lift my spirits. It makes it interesting for me. And there are even cultural walks which I find very insteresting....

I have a nordic track. You can use it without the Ifit program (first year free) but I did get a deal on the 3 year program. The ifit really helps motivate me as I can travel to a different place every day! I have not been on a plane in over 1 year so this helps lift my spirits. It makes it interesting for me. And there are even cultural walks which I find very insteresting....
This is what pushed me to get a bike with iFit over Peloton. I find the scenic rides on iFit to have much more variety and to have significantly better quality in regards to the actual workout compared to the Peloton. Also love being able to design my own route. I've designed a few custom routes through WDW. You don't get the video like the normal rides, but it pulls in pics from google street view and changes pictures every 5 seconds or so, so you can ride through and between the parks.

I also use iFit and I love it. I have an old/cheap treadmill and a basic spin bike so I don't have the ones with screens, so I just pay $11 a month for the app and use my iPad for the program when I'm on the treadmill or bike. It tracks the programs I complete in the app, and I keep track of my workout stats on my Apple Watch. iFit offers both studio-style classes like Peloton, but the scenic walks/rides are really unique. There's tons of places to choose from. I also like that they offer stretching and weight training videos, plus series-style videos as part of the scenic videos.

I also use iFit and I love it. I have an old/cheap treadmill and a basic spin bike so I don't have the ones with screens, so I just pay $11 a month for the app and use my iPad for the program when I'm on the treadmill or bike. It tracks the programs I complete in the app, and I keep track of my workout stats on my Apple Watch. iFit offers both studio-style classes like Peloton, but the scenic walks/rides are really unique. There's tons of places to choose from. I also like that they offer stretching and weight training videos, plus series-style videos as part of the scenic videos.
The series style videos on iFit are my favorite. Having different videos build upon each other and increase in difficulty as you go. Plus having the different styles, like interval vs speed work vs endurance. And it helps really get to explore each area, and helps me plan future vacations haha

We have a Nordit Track w/ ifit. It's very user friendly and versatile. I also use the yoga/stretch classes on the screen. My husband is 6'3" and I'm 5'0" and we are both comfortable using it.

We attempted to buy a Peloton. We waited months for our delivery date and then it never showed up. We called, they didn’t reach out to us, and were told they lost it and had no estimate (days, weeks, months…) of when they would send us a replacement. Just an FYI it’s $200 for delivery, which they didn’t manage to get right. No apology, nothing. I was kind of in shock at their horrible customer service. You also have to just hang out at home the entire day because they don’t tell you when they are coming, so an entire day was wasted waiting for a bike that never showed up and they didn’t even call us. We asked for a refund. They pretty much acted like we were the problem. It was horrible. I can’t imagine ever giving that company my money and I would never recommend it to anyone else.

I purchased am Echelon last year when gyms closed. I had never been to a spin class so didn't want to make the $$ commitment of a Pelton. I picked echelon since you can ride with bike shoes or sneakers and can use your own tablet.

Overall I'm happy with it but would buy a different version. If I were to purchase again, I would buy the version with a screen. I have an Android phone and tablet and have/had some issues connecting Bluetooth to the bike (can take 2 times instead of instantly). One nice feature is that the tablet holder flips over so you can get off and do stretches or other exercises with your tablet.

Like others said, cadence and resistance work once connected to your app/membership.

I'm a Peloton fan for sure. Had the cheaper sporting goods store spin bike and used the app for a while. Bought the acual Peloton during the early stages of the shutdown and love everything about it, but really do like all the diffeernt classes the app offers. I use the Peloton bike, but a nordic track treadmill. Definitley easier in my opinion to use a different treadmill with the app than a different bike.

We attempted to buy a Peloton. We waited months for our delivery date and then it never showed up. We called, they didn’t reach out to us, and were told they lost it and had no estimate (days, weeks, months…) of when they would send us a replacement. Just an FYI it’s $200 for delivery, which they didn’t manage to get right. No apology, nothing. I was kind of in shock at their horrible customer service. You also have to just hang out at home the entire day because they don’t tell you when they are coming, so an entire day was wasted waiting for a bike that never showed up and they didn’t even call us. We asked for a refund. They pretty much acted like we were the problem. It was horrible. I can’t imagine ever giving that company my money and I would never recommend it to anyone else.
Something doesn't seem right here. There is no delivery fee and you're given a delivery date with a 2 hour delivery window at the time of purchase. I've never had anything but an immediate response every time I have reached out to Peloton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter