Permobil m3 vs Quantum Q6 Edge 3

YodaGirl

DIS Veteran
After my evaluation, it was recommended that I go for one of these 2 chairs. Quickie was mentioned in passing, but I'm not sure which model.

Does anyone have any experience with either one?

Funny that I just happened to see this today. I just ordered a Permobil m3 last week. It'll be my first Permobil chair, but in doing my own research, I like a lot of its features, activereach and activeheight especially and think they'd be super beneficial for me. I prefer mid-wheel drive for my chairs, so that's also a plus. Some of my peers have just got them and seem to like them too. Even the service guy at my vendor commented that the Permobils are easy to repair compared to Quantum and even mentioned that in the seven years he's been there, he's only replaced three Permobil batteries.

Currently I have a Quantum Q6 Edge Z. I've had two Quantum chairs and cannot wait to move on from them. I find they're cheaply made and throw errors at you if you dare to even look at it. With the one I've got now, I can't say I've had too many issues with it in the last five years, but my previous chair would stop dead in its tracks and tell me the joystick wasn't connected all the time. I ended up having to put a rush on my Edge Z to be delivered because it became a daily thing. I'd strongly advise against Quantum/Pride Mobility products.

My daughter has a different Permobil - the F5 VS. At the time she got it, it was the only recommended one for her because of the features it had that no other chairs had. She's had it for at least 5 years with no problems. It IS a very nice chair.
It is her third power wheelchair. Her first 2 were Invacare; the first one was rear wheel drive. The second was midwheel. When she was evaluated for her second power chair, Quantum was one of the possibilities. We elected against it because we had heard a few things from other people we knew that has Quantum - mostly repair, but also that they did not do well in snow (we live in Minnesota). Quantum is Pride Mobilities Rehab/custom power division. So, from what I've seen, it's basically a more customizable version of Pride's Jazzy wheelchairs with some additional features not available on Jazzy.
My daughter's therapist was able to come up with enough justification for the Invacare over the Quantum for the 2nd power chair. After having a Permobil, it would be hard to have anything else

Can you try them out or at least get to look at them and compare them?
When we were looking at replacing our daughter's old manual wheelchair, we had pretty much decided to get a Quickie because all her previous manual chairs had been Quickies. We also looked at TiLite chairs online, but they looked too expensive and not that much different for the price.
When we saw them side by side at the dealer, it was clearly obvious why TiLite cost more. It was soooo much nicer and sturdier.

Thanks, y'all.

I had been leaning toward Permobil for a few reasons, one of which being it goes up to a 330lb weight capacity. I'm on the upper end of 200s, so it gives me a bit more wiggle room without going to an hd - especially since part of my condition causes exercise intolerance and medicine side effects can be unpredictable.

The rep seemed to be pushing for a Quantum. I got the feeling that it was because he wanted to sell a Quantum for whatever reason as opposed to it being the better chair, so I thought I'd see if there was something I was missing.

He did say that we could make an appointment to go look at chairs, or he could just bring a Quantum over next time he came so that we could see how it would work in my house. I think I'll just call and see if he'll bring the Permobil instead.

Thanks, y'all.

I had been leaning toward Permobil for a few reasons, one of which being it goes up to a 330lb weight capacity. I'm on the upper end of 200s, so it gives me a bit more wiggle room without going to an hd - especially since part of my condition causes exercise intolerance and medicine side effects can be unpredictable.

The rep seemed to be pushing for a Quantum. I got the feeling that it was because he wanted to sell a Quantum for whatever reason as opposed to it being the better chair, so I thought I'd see if there was something I was missing.

He did say that we could make an appointment to go look at chairs, or he could just bring a Quantum over next time he came so that we could see how it would work in my house. I think I'll just call and see if he'll bring the Permobil instead.
Did you have a PT involved too? We've always had both a rep and PT.
The doctor writes a kind of general order and the PT writes the justification for the chair and each feature on the chair for insurance.
I don't know the real reason the rep would push for Quantum, but it could be that he thinks it's more likely insurance would pay for that brand since it's cheaper

Did you have a PT involved too? We've always had both a rep and PT.
The doctor writes a kind of general order and the PT writes the justification for the chair and each feature on the chair for insurance.
I don't know the real reason the rep would push for Quantum, but it could be that he thinks it's more likely insurance would pay for that brand since it's cheaper
We had the in-home eval first. He had the order my doctor wrote, verified the issues I'm having, etc. His recommendation was based on what my doctor reported. He's working off the assumption that the PT will agree, and if not, we'll revisit options.

Our next step is to meet again with the rep & do a telehealth visit with a PT...which sounds odd to me - the PT doing a telehealth visit to determine needs.

Idk. National Seating & Mobility is one of only two places in my area that sells powerchairs and is the only place that takes my insurance. I've heard mixed reviews about them as a whole, although everything I've seen about the local location has been good. I'm just hoping this all goes well. I'm so completely new to this...

I didn't think about that reasoning. That would make sense.

Just let the PT's office earlier today. (We went with a different one than the one with telehealth since he didn't take my insurance.) He seems to think there's justification for tilt, height adjustment, & recline.

We ordered a Permobil m3, or the plan is to if insurance approves. Here's hoping it all goes through before the end of the year.

I just got my m3 on Friday and I'm loving it so far. There are some seating adjustments that need to be made and that'll take place in early January, so we frankensteined a solution until then because between myself, my OT and the service and sales guy, we wanted me to be able to take it home and spend a few weeks getting used to it. The seat lift and anterior tilt are a godsend. I've had recline, tilt and power legs on my last few chairs so that was nothing new.

I just got my m3 on Friday and I'm loving it so far. There are some seating adjustments that need to be made and that'll take place in early January, so we frankensteined a solution until then because between myself, my OT and the service and sales guy, we wanted me to be able to take it home and spend a few weeks getting used to it. The seat lift and anterior tilt are a godsend. I've had recline, tilt and power legs on my last few chairs so that was nothing new.
Nice!
They should be able to personalize some programs for you also.
My daughter has a 'relax' programmed setting that basically puts her into a position like a recliner. Really nice if she's not feeling well, needs to rest or had a seizure. We also use it daily for positioning - she can't help us and it's hard to get her all the way back in her seat. We use the relax to go her butt well back in the seat and can then push/pull her into the best position.

She also has 2 driving modes. INSIDE has a slower top speed than her OUTDOOR mode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter