Pfizer vaccine approved for kids 5-11

Booked for this Friday. Unfortunately, Ontario seem to be strict right now about 56 days between doses, whereas MB and SK are recommending 56 days, but allowing the 2nd dose to be booked at 28 days - which is closer to Health Canada's approval, and Pfizer's testing of 21 days... I see a trip stateside in my future to shorten the interval in between doses... even if this means "reduced" contact for 14 days post trip....
We are planning to do exactly this. Kiddo gets his first shot here on 11/27 and exactly three weeks later we will be in Hawaii. As soon as appointments are open for 12/18 at the Kapolei Walgreens we’re booking him for dose 2.

We have a cruise cooked on DCL in March and I have zero interest in gambling on vaccine availability or scheduling in the weeks leading up to the cruise to ensure he can walk on board. And I can’t stomach rescheduling it for a third time…

(Edit to add we are all US citizens so some of the recent entry changes aren’t as daunting for us)

We are planning to do exactly this. Kiddo gets his first shot here on 11/27 and exactly three weeks later we will be in Hawaii. As soon as appointments are open for 12/18 at the Kapolei Walgreens we’re booking him for dose 2.

We have a cruise cooked on DCL in March and I have zero interest in gambling on vaccine availability or scheduling in the weeks leading up to the cruise to ensure he can walk on board. And I can’t stomach rescheduling it for a third time…

Did you see the CDC-ordered mandatory 7 day quarantine for all under 18s not fully vaccinated I linked to a few posts ago?

It might make his Hawaii vacation unpleasant.

They didn't when that was published (Oct 30); however it appears the order was updated on the 19th of November and it explicitly lists 'Children under 18' in the exemption order now. It's the second quote in my previous post or you can get to it with this link - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html#noncitizen

Applies only to non-citizens and arrivals by air.

EDIT - also the attestation form has been updated to support the new requirements - COMBINED PASSENGER DISCLOSURE AND ATTESTATION TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (cdc.gov)

They didn't when that was published (Oct 30); however it appears the order was updated on the 19th of November and it explicitly lists 'Children under 18' in the exemption order now. It's the second quote in my previous post or you can get to it with this link - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html#noncitizen

Applies only to non-citizens and arrivals by air.

EDIT - also the attestation form has been updated to support the new requirements - COMBINED PASSENGER DISCLOSURE AND ATTESTATION TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (cdc.gov)

And they state ... Child under 18 years of age (complete section 4 and sign the form to complete the Attestation OR have parent/legal guardian complete section 4 and sign on behalf of a person under 18 years of age)

SECTION 4: On behalf of , I attest that such person is excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 and has made or has had the following arrangements made on their behalf (must check all boxes). ■ Testing with a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after arriving in the United States, unless such person has documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and ■ Self-isolation if the result of the person’s post-arrival viral test is positive or if the person develops COVID-19 symptoms.

There is nothing about quarantine anymore.

Last edited:
And they state ... Child under 18 years of age (complete section 4 and sign the form to complete the Attestation OR have parent/legal guardian complete section 4 and sign on behalf of a person under 18 years of age)

SECTION 4: On behalf of , I attest that such person is excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 and has made or has had the following arrangements made on their behalf (must check all boxes). ■ Testing with a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after arriving in the United States, unless such person has documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and ■ Self-isolation if the result of the person’s post-arrival viral test is positive or if the person develops COVID-19 symptoms.

Yikes I think I’m thankful at least for this trip that the boys are dual citizens

It does list the one day negative test result on the first page; I'm getting the 7 day quarantine from this page, which is linked to from their travelling to the US by air page.:

Categories of noncitizen nonimmigrants that meet the criteria for an exception under the Proclamation and CDC’s Order include:
  • Children under 18 years of age

If you travel by air to the United States under one of these exceptions, you will be required to attest that you are excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 based on one of the exceptions listed above. Based on the category of the exception, you may further be required to attest that:
  1. You will be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3–5 days after arrival in the United States, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days;
  2. You will self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if the test result to the post-arrival viral test is negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and
  3. You will self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival test is positive or if you develop COVID-19 symptoms

I don't know anyone who's travelled to the US since the 19th so I don't know who it plays out in practice, but I'm drawing from the CDCs own documentation. Bullet points 1 and 3 are explicitly mentioned in the attestation so I'd go with 2 also being a thing unless I found actual documentation saying it was false.

It does list the one day negative test result on the first page; I'm getting the 7 day quarantine from this page, which is linked to from their travelling to the US by air page.:

I don't know anyone who's travelled to the US since the 19th so I don't know who it plays out in practice, but I'm drawing from the CDCs own documentation. Bullet points 1 and 3 are explicitly mentioned in the attestation so I'd go with 2 also being a thing unless I found actual documentation saying it was false.

It is here ... https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/pdf/Vax-Order-10-30-21-p.pdf

page 15

From the most current attestation form (the one that AC links to as well): https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/NCEZID-FRM-Combo-Passenger-Disclose-508.pdf

Part 1:
4. On behalf of , I attest that this person is between 2 and 17 years of age, is not fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and received a negative pre-departure test result for COVID-19. The test was a viral test that was conducted on a specimen collected from the person no more than 3 days before the flight’s departure and this person is traveling with a fully vaccinated parent(s) or guardian(s)

Part 2
Child under 18 years of age (complete section 4 and sign the form to complete the Attestation OR have parent/legal guardian complete section 4 and sign on behalf of a person under 18 years of age).

Section 4
4. I attest that I have made the following arrangements (must check all boxes). ■ To be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after arriving in the United States, unless I have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days; and ■ To self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival viral test is positive or if I develop COVID-19 symptoms.

Last edited:
Did you see the CDC-ordered mandatory 7 day quarantine for all under 18s not fully vaccinated I linked to a few posts ago?

It might make his Hawaii vacation unpleasant.
We are US citizens. There is a “suggested” 7 day quarantine. Not a mandatory one.

I'm not certain this is the correct place to post this but I just saw on another forum that with the 5+ vaccine being approved the CDC has changed their entry requirements now, I'll quote the relevant parts

And the new exemptions and quarantine requirements...

So I really hope no one has plans to take their (non-citizen) children to the US via air before they reach the fully vaccinated status; the one day covid test, plus the arrival test + self-quarantine for 7 days makes it pointless.

Non-U.S. citizen, Non-U.S. immigrants: Air Travel to the United States | CDC
Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers | CDC

Edit: Should have read on to page 3 of this thread before freaking out. 😂 Sounds like we are all good.

That language has always been there. There are specific exemptions from quarantine for children under 18 who are unvaccinated and travelling with vaccinated parents due to the limited availability of childrens vaccines worldwide. I believe this changes for 12-18 year olds effective Nov 30th, but they have been eligible for vaccines in many countries for 6 months now. I have not read anything to suggest that they are being more restrictive for 5-11 years olds at this time (especially since the vaccine has only been around for weeks back months). If anyone has heard anything (definitive) to the contrary, please let me know.

(Edit to add we are all US citizens so some of the recent entry changes aren’t as daunting for us)
Is Walgreens in Kapolei doing kids covid shoots? I can only find them at Longs and Walgreens in Ewa Beach (not far but not as convenient as Kapolei). We land on December 27 and have the same plan (assuming BC pulls its act together and the kids can get first shots by Dec 6).

Is Walgreens in Kapolei doing kids covid shoots? I can only find them at Longs and Walgreens in Ewa Beach (not far but not as convenient as Kapolei). We land on December 27 and have the same plan (assuming BC pulls its act together and the kids can get first shots by Dec 6).
It’s the Ewa Beach location - only a few miles from the resort. I’m driving farther than that to get kiddo his first dose this Saturday! I hope you’re able to get your kids in!

It’s the Ewa Beach location - only a few miles from the resort. I’m driving farther than that to get kiddo his first dose this Saturday! I hope you’re able to get your kids in!
Thanks! Bookings just opened this morning, and I was able to get them both in for tomorrow afternoon! If it weren’t for the sucker punch Omicron has thrown us, I’d be ecstatic right now. 😬

Bookings finally opened here in BC this morning but it's a complete cluster :headache: And despite the province insisting kids would be able to get appts asap, even same-day appts, that does not seem to be the case. The earliest I could get my DD11 in for is this Friday afternoon. Oh well, at least she's booked!!! I've got lots of friends here still waiting for their invites to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter