• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Philando Castile shooting - full dashcam video released

Before I pile on the officer I'd need more info, I'm not going to watch it multiple times to analyze every second. I can here the audio of the driver saying he has a firearm, the officer responds don't reach for it and you can here the driver say he has to reach for it. Then shooting starts.
I refuse to jump on the bandwagon as of late that makes it popular to second guess an officer after the fact.

That's NOT what Mr. Castille said. He said "I'm not reaching for it." Not, I'm reaching for it. SMH. EVERYONE agrees on that point. Even the defense. The disagreement is whether the officer "saw" him reaching for a gun despite saying he wasn't. Interestingly, on the night of the event, Mr. Yanez never claimed he "saw" a gun. During trial, that story changed. He said that night that Mr. Castile's "grip" was "wider than a wallet" which I find bizarre. Most wallets are wider than the handle of a gun.

Link:http://www.startribune.com/castile-shooting-timeline/429678313/

Again, NOT disputed. If you're "hearing" something else, you are not hearing it accurately.

That's NOT what Mr. Castille said. He said "I'm not reaching for it." Not, I'm reaching for it. SMH. EVERYONE agrees on that point. Even the defense. The disagreement is whether the officer "saw" him reaching for a gun despite saying he wasn't. Interestingly, on the night of the event, Mr. Yanez never claimed he "saw" a gun. During trial, that story changed. He said that night that Mr. Castile's "grip" was "wider than a wallet" which I find bizarre. Most wallets are wider than the handle of a gun.

Again, NOT disputed. If you're "hearing" something else, you are not hearing it accurately.
I'll agree to disagree.
I have a feeling that his wallet was right beside his gun. This is why he's saying what sounds like, to me anyways "I have to reach for it"

With the high profile of this case - the jury clearly did not see evidence to convict. That's enough for me. It's very sad - maybe the protocol for when a driver says "I have a permit and am carrying" should be for them to exit the vehicle.

A wallet is definitely wider than the grip of a handgun. Maybe he meant the thickness of the wallet when he said "wider". But, I agree it's not what I think of from that statement.

With the high profile of this case - the jury clearly did not see evidence to convict. That's enough for me. It's very sad - maybe the protocol for when a driver says "I have a permit and am carrying" should be for them to exit the vehicle.
I usually wait for instructions, hands on the steering wheel the entire time. Once I was told to leave it holstered, while another time I was told to slowly remove it and place it on the dash.

The problem is the law in Minnesota and other jurisdictions. Even if the cop's fear is completely irrational (as I would argue in this case), if the cop is "afraid" he gets to shoot to kill. This should NOT be the law. Many of the jurors interviewed since said they hated what they had to do, but their hands were tied by the law. It should not be. Just should not be. This cop killed this man less than 7 seconds after approaching the vehicle for absolutely NO reason at all. Killed him. Dead. Dead. Forever. Dead. How do I know it was irrational? Because the OTHER cop, standing on the OTHER side of the vehicle during this incident, never even moved his hand to his gun. He was not afraid. Not one little bit. Yet, Yanez was so petrified he killed an absolutely innocent man. Judge. Jury. Executioner. 7 seconds.

I'm horrified for what our country has become.

The problem is the law in Minnesota and other jurisdictions. Even if the cop's fear is completely irrational (as I would argue in this case), if the cop is "afraid" he gets to shoot to kill. This should NOT be the law. Many of the jurors interviewed since said they hated what they had to do, but their hands were tied by the law. It should not be. Just should not be. This cop killed this man less than 7 seconds after approaching the vehicle for absolutely NO reason at all. Killed him. Dead. Dead. Forever. Dead. How do I know it was irrational? Because the OTHER cop, standing on the OTHER side of the vehicle during this incident, never even moved his hand to his gun. He was not afraid. Not one little bit. Yet, Yanez was so petrified he killed an absolutely innocent man. Judge. Jury. Executioner. 7 seconds.

I'm horrified for what our country has become.

Become?

Speaking as an official white guy, a cop has never pulled a gun on me no matter what I reached for. I have to beleive that our entire system of justice, given all the evidence, is far from colorblind. We see this in arrests for simple possession of marijuana, driving while black, death penatly verdicts, and that's not the half of it. We have not progressed from the Rodney King verdict, which was an abomination. this is too.

I just watched the video. The problem is that we aren't seeing what the cop was seeing. Did he have reason to believe the driver was pulling out his firearm? Maybe he thoughts so even if that wasn't the case. Perhaps he wasn't convicted because there was some doubt about the driver's actions. The cop likely should have told him to put both hands on the wheel and not ask for his license. He could have asked him where he had the gun. He could have asked his partner to check his side. He did none of these. To me it seems like this was not a well trained cop who may have panicked. The man should never have a badge again.

I just watched the video. The problem is that we aren't seeing what the cop was seeing. Did he have reason to believe the driver was pulling out his firearm? Maybe he thoughts so even if that wasn't the case. Perhaps he wasn't convicted because there was some doubt about the driver's actions. The cop likely should have told him to put both hands on the wheel and not ask for his license. He could have asked him where he had the gun. He could have asked his partner to check his side. He did none of these. To me it seems like this was not a well trained cop who may have panicked. The man should never have a badge again.

The police officer said once he heard the word "gun" he had tunnel vision.

Once a gun presence was made clear by the driver, the officer should have removed him from the car(for everyone's safety) following felony stop guidelines. If the officer had done this this man would be alive and there would have been no misinterpretation of what everyone was seeing. This driver was killed for reaching to present what was asked for and it had been made clear to the office that the driver had a gun in his possession BY the driver. It shouldn't have come as a threat to the officer when he knew of it's presence. Take the driver out of the car, hands up and pat him down and worry about credentials when the scene is safe.

I'll agree to disagree.
I have a feeling that his wallet was right beside his gun. This is why he's saying what sounds like, to me anyways "I have to reach for it"

No. Your feeling is wrong. It's weird that you clearly said you weren't interested in analyzing the video and jumping on the bandwagon of second guessing the officer but you clearly have no problem analyzing the video and making up scenarios to blame the victim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter