• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Phoenix Airport Area Questions to Grand Canyon

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Found a low-priced fare into Phoenix; would put us on the road in rush hour (5 pm-ish). Have never been in the area, is the traffic crazy then heading north?popcorn:: .

Would need to find a hotel, along route we'd take to Grand Canyon; no more than an hour or so preferably; any suggestions on what area to look for:confused3 .

Is bunking somewhere in town a possibility @ a reasonable rate, with easy access north the next day (as in little traffic so we don't get confused;) )

I keep seeing "old town" referenced in hotel descriptions? Is that a tourist attraction?

mapquest indicates that the drive to GC from Phoenix is about an hour shorter than from Las Vegas, is that true?

It's easy to get on the road from the airport but traffic will be horrendous (unless you are arriving on a Saturday). From the airport, you would follow the directions to I-17 north, which takes you to Flagstaff. How much time do you have to spend in AZ? You can get off I-17 south of Flagstaff at Hwy 179 and go to Sedona, then north on Hwy 89 to Flagstaff. From Flagstaff you can go west on I-40 to Williams or there is an alternate route past the San Francisco Peaks that is a nice scenic drive and probably wouldn't add much time to the drive. IMO, its a nicer drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon than from Las Vegas.

The 'old town' you are seeing is actually Old Town Scottsdale. Depending on when you are coming, there are lots of great rates at some wonderful resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, some with water parks on the property. After flying all day, I think I would spend the night in the area and leave in the morning to drive north. Feel free to PM me or respond if you would like more hotel suggestions. HTH

Deb:)

Do yourself a favor. Stay off of the I17 at that hour. You can head north on the 51. Stay in the PV or Squaw Peak area. Then it isn't that far up the 51, west on 101 to 17 north at a better hour of day. The 51 backs up, too, but rarely as bad as the 17.

thanks for all the info, unfortunately have found that the airport rental car places have a hefty 1 way drop fee to Vegas

no such issue when flying into LAS:confused3 ; so we'll have to put it on our bucket list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter