Phone cards for kids

MaryAnnDVC

"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
I saw "The Travel Detective" on the Today Show (forgot his name) and he recommended giving kids a phone card to use on vacation just in case they get lost. Great idea!!

I took my 3 kids to DL in June (without DH) and my oldest DD, almost 13, was lost for 2 1/2 hours. We had a little misunderstanding about where to meet up again, and 2 minutes after she walked away I realized SHE didn't have the other walkie-talke...my other DD (who was with me) did.

I asked her why she didn't just call me on my cell phone, which I was carrying, and she said she didn't want to bother anyone to use their phone. :rolleyes: Although, I wonder...would Disney CMs allow a long distance phone call to a cell phone?

Anyway...next trip...phone cards. AND walkie-talkies for everyone.

Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

We've done this for our last few trips and they work great. The kids not only use them to get in touch with us on the cell phone, but they use them to call their friends at home that they miss. We bought the multi pack (I think it was 20 or 30 phone cards) of 30 minute phone cards at Sam's Club. With the smaller amount of minutes on each card, we did not have to worry about them losing an expensive phone card with lots of minutes on it. The multi-pack at Sam's was pretty reasonable ..... if memory serves me correctly, it was about $25-30, and all of those cards have lasted for several trips now!

bianca, great idea! I'll check out BJs to see what they have.

My DD (almost 13) is away camping this week with her friend and the girl's parents, and I mailed her a phone card because she used the 2 I had sent with her (they had "units" and I didn't know how long they lasted). Well, she called last night using the parents' cell phone...the phone card doesn't work!! :confused: Not sure why. No expirations date on it. It was from Dollar car rental, and I'm not even sure how long we've had it.

So...another tip...make sure it works! :rolleyes:

I work for the phone company and have made sure my DS has carried a phone card with him for the past few years. There have been numerous times he has used them or let a friend use them. They are a good investment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter