photo sharing: HDR

Gdad

I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad thing
129566482-O.jpg

Not bad at all!! And a "perfect" place to try it at too!! Well done!:thumbsup2

You can't post something that good and not explain how you did it. I'm familiar with the HDR process, just wanting to know how YOU did it.

Nice shot! Have you tried correcting the wide angle disortion?

You can't post something that good and not explain how you did it. I'm familiar with the HDR process, just wanting to know how YOU did it.

I did it in Photoshop - I had taken two identical shots with the camera on the tripod - one being fairly underexposed. I merged them together using the HDR in CS2. It kind of came out with that sort of cartoony look HDR sometimes has (IMHO) so I played with the levels to make it look more natural. Not sure if I undid some of the effect there but I liked the end result. Thanks.

Nice shot! Have you tried correcting the wide angle disortion?

Yes- I actually did that on the regular shot I posted on the AKL thread a few days ago. These were right out of the camera so to speak so I just left them as is. Sometimes that type of distortion bugs me and sometimes I think it lookes okay.

I did it in Photoshop - I had taken two identical shots with the camera on the tripod - one being fairly underexposed. I merged them together using the HDR in CS2. It kind of came out with that sort of cartoony look HDR sometimes has (IMHO) so I played with the levels to make it look more natural. Not sure if I undid some of the effect there but I liked the end result. Thanks.

There's a guy over on Fred Miranda Photo site that has posted a tutorial on HDR. He suggest using at least 6 exposures about 1 stop apart for best results. Interesting reading.

What is HDR? As one photoenthusiast put it, "HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. It is a software technique of taking either one image or a series of images, combining them, and adjusting the contrast ratios to do things that are virtually impossible with a single aperture and shutter speed."

Here are some jaw-dropping examples:

457311358_e79ec59ab8.jpg

Cinderella Castle, Magic Kingdom, Day

459418289_12b3f3ffaa.jpg

Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat, The Disney-MGM Studios, Night

461501271_6cf7c20acc.jpg

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, The Disney-MGM Studios, Night

No, none of these images are mine (I WISH!). They were posted to Flickr by a user named "Stuck In Customs". You can see the photos here and read a tutorial on producing your own HDR photos here.

These are absolutely stunning. HDR is on my rather long list of techniques to learn. I've seen some really amazing images.

I have this on my Ulead package but have never bothered with it so I have just given it ago.

Original photo

PICT2178.jpg

after using the HDR

Untitled-7.jpg

I did have to sharpen it but it's not too bad. Will have a play later with my night time shots.

I have this on my Ulead package but have never bothered with it so I have just given it ago.

Original photo

PICT2178.jpg

after using the HDR

Untitled-7.jpg

I did have to sharpen it but it's not too bad. Will have a play later with my night time shots.

Nice. How exactly did you do this?

Nice. How exactly did you do this?

I am not sure of the workings of it but I clicked on photo and then selected High Dynamic Range and selected my camera curve, and then it automatically did it. You can also adjust midtones etc but I don't really understand those so I leave them alone.

It's great for photos in shadow. I have been playing with some of my night shots and it's amazing. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter