Photo Sharing: Ultra Wide Angle

Here are a few more. All taken with the Tokina 11-16:

As always, clicking the images take you to their Flickr pages...

More UWA Disney goodness..

I wish I had gone lower ISO on many of my shots, many times I had plenty of room on shutter speed. That was a general problem I had on our trip, I wasn't lugging a tripod around and I could have pushed UWA + IS much further than I did, but I hadn't had the lens for very long and was still getting used to UWA.

Sigma 10-20mm on Sony A700, 10mm, f/4, 1/10 sec, ISO 800
629980764_QPd4c-XL.jpg

12mm, f/5, 1/40 sec, ISO 800
629980921_PtfQw-XL.jpg

12mm, f/4.5, 4/10 sec, ISO 1600
629981128_6iDkD-XL.jpg

Keeping it going...

This is my most popular Flickr photo to date...

10mm, f/10, 1/200 sec, ISO 200
632429964_HjSrb-XL.jpg

13mm, f/11, 1/320 sec, ISO 200
632429838_6xsRv-XL.jpg

10mm, f/10, 1/200 sec, ISO 200
632429695_tKcui-XL.jpg

I'm not officially in the cult yet, but here is one I took when Quicklabs and I met at a local metro park. She let me borrow her Sigma 10-20.

p728710331-4.jpg

As you may have guessed, this was a really popular lens for my recent trip:

EXIF on Flickr pages.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

What the heck? First you people make me go out and buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and now I have to go out and get a UWA lens?!

I LOVE these!!! I leave in 9 days so that's not enough time to get one for Disney, but I really love these and now I want one!!

Anyone have an opinion on the best? (I'm a Canon user... so no Nikon's for me ;))

Sigma 10-20mm and Tokina 11-16 looks like the main two... I need something somewhat affordable, I'm saving up for an L series :scared1:

Just when I had convinced myself I don't really need a UWA, I stumble upon this thread of incredible pictures!

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

What the heck? First you people make me go out and buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and now I have to go out and get a UWA lens?!

I LOVE these!!! I leave in 9 days so that's not enough time to get one for Disney, but I really love these and now I want one!!

Anyone have an opinion on the best? (I'm a Canon user... so no Nikon's for me ;))

Sigma 10-20mm and Tokina 11-16 looks like the main two... I need something somewhat affordable, I'm saving up for an L series :scared1:

Take a look at the Tokina 12-24. The older version is $399. As I understand it, the only major difference between the older version and the new version at $499 is a focus motor. So, for Canon the focus motor is a non-issue.

Take a look at the Tokina 12-24. The older version is $399. As I understand it, the only major difference between the older version and the new version at $499 is a focus motor. So, for Canon the focus motor is a non-issue.

I'm sorry, just to clarify- it doesn't need a focus motor for Canons? I have a Canon Rebel XSi (eventually will upgrade to 40D probably). Why does it not need a focus motor for Canons??

I'm sorry, just to clarify- it doesn't need a focus motor for Canons? I have a Canon Rebel XSi (eventually will upgrade to 40D probably). Why does it not need a focus motor for Canons??

Canons have a focus motor in the body, therefore it doesn't need to be in the lens. Some dSLRs like the Nikon D40 & D60 don't have a focus motor in the body--so in order for a lens to AF on a D40 or D60, it has to have a focus motor in the lens. Up until recently, this was a common complaint for D40 and D60 owners because the only inexpensive fast prime Nikon offered was the 50mm f/1.8, which wouldn't autofocus with those camera models.

So I'm guessing the newer version of the Tokina 12-24 put a focus motor in the body to make sure that everyone could use it.

OK...for 2 days I've been trying to bypass this tempting thread....
Ya got me today...:worship:

For months I've been vasilating about getting either this WA or (for fun) a Nikon fisheye this year for my D80. Each time...I slap myself a few times:rotfl: and wind up saying..nah, ya don't need it, your 18-135 is good enough, why spend the $$, la, la, la..
Most of the reviews have been excellent on this lens, though, my lenses are nikon and I do have that fear of going with others and yea, I did look at the widest 2.8 nikon..:scared1:$$$$.

So...when you guys get your lenses this week, can you post a review and finally help push me over this fence??? :sick::sick:

BTW.... I also noticed that there are special "Wide Angle Filters" available for this lens. Is this "Special" for WA lenses or can a normal filters work??

So...when you guys get your lenses this week, can you post a review and finally help push me over this fence??? :sick::sick:

I got mine yesterday and took a few test shots of a classic car out in the parking lot of my office and I've got to say, they looked pretty nice to me! I'll be testing it out much more this weekend but just from my test shots I'd say this is A. going to be a fun lens B. be a lens that has a real learning curve, I guess you can't just shoot anything with it and C. the pictures looked nice and sharp at f/3.? or whatever I was shooting at, although I haven't done 100$ crop or anything to really check it out.

I really like to buy Nikon lenses, but that being said, I think my Sigma 30 is my favorite lens yet and it's a third-party---so I definitely wouldn't write them off, especially for more of a specialty lens that you won't be shooting with every day.

FWIW, I am borrowing a fellow Photo DISers 10.5 fisheye right now and it's really fun also. I'll try to post some shots from each in the upcoming week or so if I shoot anything of interest. I have been looking on Craig's List in the NJ/Philly area and found a Nikon 10.5 fisheye for $450!! That's a steal (said the lens was in good condition, but I didn't check it out since I don't have $450 right now to spend).

I'll try to give you a more comprehensive review of the UWA after I do more than just parking lot and living room shots with it. ;)

I have already offered my review, and I think my pictures speak for themselves as to the sharpness and quality of the lens, so I assume you're talking to those who recently bought the lens...

I got mine yesterday and took a few test shots of a classic car out in the parking lot of my office and I've got to say, they looked pretty nice to me! I'll be testing it out much more this weekend but just from my test shots I'd say this is A. going to be a fun lens B. be a lens that has a real learning curve, I guess you can't just shoot anything with it and C. the pictures looked nice and sharp at f/3.? or whatever I was shooting at, although I haven't done 100$ crop or anything to really check it out.

I really like to buy Nikon lenses, but that being said, I think my Sigma 30 is my favorite lens yet and it's a third-party---so I definitely wouldn't write them off, especially for more of a specialty lens that you won't be shooting with every day.

FWIW, I am borrowing a fellow Photo DISers 10.5 fisheye right now and it's really fun also. I'll try to post some shots from each in the upcoming week or so if I shoot anything of interest. I have been looking on Craig's List in the NJ/Philly area and found a Nikon 10.5 fisheye for $450!! That's a steal (said the lens was in good condition, but I didn't check it out since I don't have $450 right now to spend).

I'll try to give you a more comprehensive review of the UWA after I do more than just parking lot and living room shots with it. ;)

For what it's worth, in my completely unscientific testing, I found that the lens was noticeably sharper at f/8 than at f/2.8. I think f/8-f/9 the lens' sharpest.

Two more from last year... I'm running out of UWA shots worth sharing :( Tomorrow is one year since the start of our last trip.. we know our future trips with our boys will be more awesome than we can even imagine, but man are we having major withdrawals for now!

As always they are taken with Sigma 10-20mm on Sony A700

10mm, f/4, 1/15 sec, ISO 800
639202915_MFiYc-XL.jpg

10mm, f/10, 1/160 sec, ISO 200
639199353_USWHu-XL.jpg

While the Tokina seems to have gotten a lot of posts recently, I don't know that a lot of people have one. A lot of people seem to want one, either that lens or the Sigma 10-20mm.

I got a lot of cool shots from my Sigma 10-20mm on my last trip:

572209787_gQFM8-L.jpg

572210171_RoUGA-L.jpg

572224867_HRYWU-L.jpg

572227850_JrpeF-L.jpg

572226423_kNUCv-L.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter