Photo Tutorial: Back to Basics/Improving Our Photos

I'm going to call this one....

Same Same but Different

There isn’t really any references for this technique.

We've been working through composition and various photo techniques now. Let's talk about how you might approach a shoot.

I used to head out to a location with my camera to take the standard shot. And then when I get home and look at my images, I would think ….. ”good, but not great?”

Not fooling myself. A lot of my shots are still..... "good, but not great". But I've learnt to add variety to my shooting and maximise my chances of a good/great shot.

All camera options – big, smart or P&S – come with a heap of features either in-built or in your bag.
The trick is to remember taking images of your location with different aspects using all those features and accessories.

What do I mean? Well…..pictures tell a thousand words.

For this example, the light house is the subject. Consider how many ways I can shoot the same subject with the equipment in my bag.

Standard landscape, using the general walkaround lens

The lighthouse from a distance. This is generally the standard view that most people would see. It's right along the road you would drive in to the lighthouse. If you see a view that you like and it's safe to do so, pull over and grab the shot.

0911 KIa-8.jpg

Walk off the standard tourist route. You never know when there is another view of it from a different perspective. There wasn't a real walking path for this view. I had to walk across a cow paddock to get to this side. But I could see other people doing the same thing. It was a 5 minute walk.

0911 KIa-44.jpg

Another landscape view of the lighthouse. This time from inside the ticketed area. This would be the standard shot that most people would take.

0911 KIa-11.jpg

The UltraWide

I have a 10 - 22 mm UW lens in my bag. I normally carry it anyway so why not use it?

Its a different perspective of the same subject. For this shot, I angled up, which would accentuate the length/height of the lighthouse.

NOTE: When I got home, this is one of those images that I decided not to use when I shared images of this lighthouse.

0911 KIa-15.jpg

Taken with the Ultra Wide. This time, I zoomed with my feet and got in close to the door.

I like this shot because it is a different way to show the lighthouse, without repeating the same same.

0911 KIa-17.jpg

Another angle of the lighthouse using the UW. This one was taken at the outside platform. It's again another view of same same but different.

0911 KIa-37.jpg

Zoom lens

The other lens I usually carry in my bag is the zoom. I normally pull this one out as well for more detailed close up.

0911 KIa-24.jpg

I may not gotten great shots, but there are a variety of shots that give me a good view of this lighthouse. At the very least, I'm not boring my family and friends with a bunch of same same shots of the one subject.

Have any of you got similar examples of the way you approach a shoot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter