Photopass Superthread!

Disney_Alli said:
Excellent thread. Just a note about the Character Meal photos: you can always add the digital images to your Photopass account if you have the print copy. On the back of the 8"x10" there is a code the same as on a Photopass card. You can simply add it to your account as you would any other Photopass card to be able to edit the image online.

Thanks Disney_Alli! I didn't know that; have added that info to the main post.

momof4fans said:
This is a great thread! Very informative!

One question about photopass+, I've read on this forum that if your family splits up you can use a picture of the bar code to add photos to your photopass+ account. For example, I'll be at BBB with my 2 DDs while my DH and 2 DSs are in DCA riding rides. I want those ride pics. I read that if my son has a picture of the photopass+ card on his phone he can have ride photos added to it without the actual card being in his possession. Have you experienced this? That would be awesome! Thanks!

Hi momof4fans! I haven"t experienced it myself, but I know I've read of others doing it! I would say try it and if they can't then as long as they take a photo of the ride number, or note it down, you can go back later to get the ride photos. So you won't lose them!

Rubygoose said:
Thanks for starting this thread. One thing I didn't know about photo pass is that they take photos during the Jedi Training Academy. My daughter was in the show and I had done her hair in Princess Leia buns. Later in the day, as woman in line commented on her hair, and I mentioned that she was in the show. The woman told me that her daughter had been in the show before and that she "just had to buy the picture." I guess we left before the photo pass photographer came to show us the prints. The next day, I went to the photo shop in DL and told them the day and time of the Jedi show. They also asked me if she fought Vader or Maul. She was the first to fight Vader, so it was easy to find her shots. We looked through all the photos and got them added to our card. DH says this one is his favourite picture of the entire trip.

[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for sharing the photos and tips Rubygoose! Have added Jedi Academy into the 2nd post so others know too. Love the castle photos!

seobaina said:
Thanks

I was just wondering if anyone knew what magic shots are available in DLR and DCA and where they are? I know for WDW but have no clue for these parks.

Thank you

If people can add the places they have gotten different magic shots I'm happy to add in a list! Or link to one that already exists if someone can point me in the right direction!

This is a great thread! Very informative!

One question about photopass+, I've read on this forum that if your family splits up you can use a picture of the bar code to add photos to your photopass+ account. For example, I'll be at BBB with my 2 DDs while my DH and 2 DSs are in DCA riding rides. I want those ride pics. I read that if my son has a picture of the photopass+ card on his phone he can have ride photos added to it without the actual card being in his possession. Have you experienced this? That would be awesome! Thanks!

We just returned from a two week vacation to DL. There were five of us. The kids did have photos taken by photographer when we were not around and they received a photo card, then just kept adding to it. They did take down the numbers off of ride photos and then I would just go back to that ride (for instance, splash) and then they would just add it to my lanyard. At the end of my trip I went into the camera store in DCA (I did this one because there didn't seem to be the line that forms in the DL camera store) and the CM took all the cards and added it to the lanyard. He said it was easier for them to do it in the park than it was to do it at home. It took a few minutes but was super easy and they were all there when we got back home. After adding borders I think I ended up with 289 photos.

It was so worth the money for us, as we have never purchased the ride photos in the past. The boys seem to have a great time with it, taking the silly photos on the rides. :thumbsup2

I just want to make sure I've got everything straight here; If I buy photopass, either just for rides or the full $70 package, when I get home and access my photos can I just download the pictures and, say, take them to walmart to make prints? Or do you have to order your only prints through Disney?

I've also heard online that prints cost extra. You must buy the photopass package and THEN pay more money for prints or the CD later? I would think the CD is included in the price.

offwithyourhead said:
I just want to make sure I've got everything straight here; If I buy photopass, either just for rides or the full $70 package, when I get home and access my photos can I just download the pictures and, say, take them to walmart to make prints? Or do you have to order your only prints through Disney?

I've also heard online that prints cost extra. You must buy the photopass package and THEN pay more money for prints or the CD later? I would think the CD is included in the price.

Hi offwithyourhead! Yes, if you prepurchase photopass+, or attractions+, you can download the photos or get a CD of the photos for no extra cost. You can then make your own prints (at home, Walmart, whereever).

If you dont prepurchase the Photopass+, but just get photos taken using their photographers, then if you want a CD or to just purchase one or two prints, there will be a cost for that - but you hadnt paid anything up front.

Of course if you prepurchase and want to buy prints or other items (mugs, tshirts, etc) from Disney there will be an extra cost.

Also I have read where some people had photopass+, and were downloading their images but were given the option of also purchasing a CD. The initial $70 gives you either a download, OR a CD, not both. So if you choose download you could pay more to also get a CD. Personally, I would download and make my own back-up copy.

Kiwigirls --

For some reason I don't think I realized that you had finally gotten this thread together! I didn't see it until just now!:rotfl: The last I heard you were still in the stages of putting it together behind the scenes but it wasn't ready yet. And here it is!

You did a great job! Such great information and details in the posts on the first page. I know first hand (and I know that HydroGuy knows as well) -- it takes time, effort and attention to detail to put these Superthreads together and compile all sorts of information, so we all really appreciate that you took the time to assemble this one.pixiedust:

I'm glad you included the link to Judy from Boise's Photopass photo thread over in the DL Community section because I think it is often forgotten about -- though it has some great examples of year-round magic shots all through it (including recent ones)!

I noticed this in the terms and conditions -
The PhotoPass+ card can only be used at the Disneyland Resort and is valid prior to the date indicated on the card.

If we pre-order, is there a date that we must turn in the voucher prior? We are not going to DLR until next year, but I would like to pre-order now. Would it still be valid?

Or does this refer to the 14 days you have to take pictures after redeeming your voucher for the Photopass + card and lanyard?

Thank you for your help.

Tickled Tink said:
The PhotoPass+ card can only be used at the Disneyland Resort and is valid prior to the date indicated on the card.

If we pre-order, is there a date that we must turn in the voucher prior? We are not going to DLR until next year, but I would like to pre-order now. Would it still be valid?

Or does this refer to the 14 days you have to take pictures after redeeming your voucher for the Photopass + card and lanyard?

Thank you for your help.

There is no date on the voucher I have, and I have not heard of any expiry dates for the vouchers.

As it talks about a card I would say that they are talking about the actual Photopass card, and the 14 days you have once you exchange your voucher for a card.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your help.

They punch your PhotoPass+ card to indicate it cannot be used (to add new photos) 14 days after you receive it (i.e. turn in your voucher).

I'm guessing you can pre-order now and use the voucher, but cannot tell you for sure. My only concern would be that they somehow change the photopass+ or discontinue program and you may not be interested anymore. I personally would call and ask or wait until you are closer to your trip before ordering.

Are you concerned the price might increase and that is why you want to buy it so far in advance?

Do you have to show ID to exchange the voucher? We did PP+ on our WDW trip last year, but now I can't remember. My daughter is performing in DCA our first morning, so I may need someone else to go exchange the voucher while I am getting her ready.

Can you load your card onto the Disney PhotoPass website during your vacation? I would love to make use of our early evenings and work on adding borders each night of vacation so I can get the CD ordered more quickly. We take so many pictures and I add so many borders (just in case, you never know what you might want to use them for later on!) that it seems to take me forever when I wait to do it from home.

Can you load your card onto the Disney PhotoPass website during your vacation? I would love to make use of our early evenings and work on adding borders each night of vacation so I can get the CD ordered more quickly. We take so many pictures and I add so many borders (just in case, you never know what you might want to use them for later on!) that it seems to take me forever when I wait to do it from home.

2 out of the three of our park days, the photos were already uploaded by the time we got back to the hotel, sometimes within a couple of hours of being taken by the photographer.

2 out of the three of our park days, the photos were already uploaded by the time we got back to the hotel, sometimes within a couple of hours of being taken by the photographer.

Thanks, the first time we did it I remember them telling me to not log in and add the card to our account until after our trip was over because they wouldn't be able to add the rest of the trip photos...but that was a couple years ago I was told that.

We will be at DL with a PP+ I. September and I will report back on annoying new we learn...we have done it at WDW (sep 2012) and it was great! During that trip in WDW I was ale to use the picture of my PP+ card to get pictures added at buzz a few times when we rode without my DH and DD (they had the lanyard). I will certainly plan to try this (picture of card on phone) at DL/DCA if we are not together and have a ride photo we want! We routinely come home with several plain PhotoPass cards for convenience..

Do you have to show ID to exchange the voucher? We did PP+ on our WDW trip last year, but now I can't remember. My daughter is performing in DCA our first morning, so I may need someone else to go exchange the voucher while I am getting her ready.

I was not asked to show ID, but YMMV. I don't think the voucher even had a name on it. I brought the receipt with me that came w/ the mailed stock photo cd, but never used it.

Yes you can. Just know that as soon as you enter the card number into your account that starts the first 30 day clock. Your photos will be automatically uploaded to your account as more photos are taken. It can take a few hours for them to appear (the photogs have to have their info downloaded)

Be aware that if you have an existing PP card from a previous visit you can still use it, however, the 30 day clock will start the day your photos are taken. (learned this by experience).

There are many different magic shot locations. And some photos are only available during seasonal times. Additionally, not all magic shots are still available. Personally, I don't know if they are still taking Darth and/or Hook shots. The best thing to do is stop in the Photopass store on Main St. and ask them what ones you can get. You can get Tink in your hand in many locations. The balloons as well. Also you can have Mickey or Minnie sitting next to you.

You can not get a magic shot if the photog has set up a tripod. So no shots once the sun starts to set.

Definitely check out the thread mentioned for ideas. And have fun-remember you don't know any of these people-be silly.

The quality of your photos will vary by the photographer. Some have been there for years, others are new and still learning. Some of the better ones work M-F, during the day. Check out the hub. One of the best photogs is usually there M-F, 8-5. He's quick and has some good ideas.

If it's not crowded, you can usually get the photog to take multilple shots, for example, we've had one from the front of the castle take photos there as well as over to the side with the Matterhorn behind us (said they are not allowed to do the balloon shot in front of castle-this may have changed). Also might be able to get some photos in the walkway to the right of the castle by the Snow White wishing well.

It never hurts to ask for something special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter