Picking up/giving away shifts?

On an unrelated note, if I give away or trade a shift with someone else, can I go play in the parks on the day I was supposed to work, or is that the same as calling in? My family is coming up and I'm trying to figure out if I can give away a shift on the weekend to be with them, or if I would have needed to request the day off beforehand.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you trade or shift away the shift, it is the same has having the day off. You can go to the parks f you want to.

Just try and pick up the shifts and see if you get denied or not, that's the easiest way to figure out. It really depends if they let you pick it up... I feel like circumstances change from time to time.

And I'd try requesting off first as soon as possible, then if it gets denied, give it away. Just easier for you.

If you pick up a 6th or 7th day you won't get overtime for it, since you weren't scheduled for it. The 8 hours between shifts thing is because you would get double time, which you can't do. When you pick up a shift it asks if it'll give you double time; just select no. I knew a girl who always picked up a bunch of shifts that gave her double time, some of which started before her scheduled shift ended. My managers worked everything out for her a couple of times but it was a big hassle and they told her not to do that anymore, since it's technically not allowed. Basically, yeah just request the shift and if you're denied then oh well.

About the playing in the parks thing - if you trade/give away a shift you're not scheduled to be at work anymore so you're good to go. Try to do it pretty far in advance though or it won't show up on the hub/cds and you'll have to remember the changes.

For Florida-Site DI&P Participants, the following conditions incur Double Time:
  • Working more than 16 hours in a day.
  • Having less than eight hours between the end of a shift on one day and the start of a shift on the next.
  • Being mandatorily scheduled (as opposed to volunteering to be scheduled) by Workforce Management for a shift on the second of one's two days off (assuming that one was also scheduled to work on the first of one's two days off).

The Extra Hours Hotline is a semi-automatic system - as long as you don't select a shift that conflicts with another EHH shift, it will generally approve it. However, Workforce Management does audit the system on a routine basis and those Cast Members who are found to be intentionally picking up unapproved Double Time may be subject to internal discipline.

Are you sure on that last one? I've been scheduled 6 days (giving me one day off) pretty much every week since I arrived and I am not paid anything more for that day

Are you sure on that last one? I've been scheduled 6 days (giving me one day off) pretty much every week since I arrived and I am not paid anything more for that day

It's only if you're scheduled seven days, giving you no days off that week. You get paid the Double Time for whatever day would have been your second day off (your "Sunday"). You don't get anything for working a sixth day.

On an unrelated note, if I give away or trade a shift with someone else, can I go play in the parks on the day I was supposed to work, or is that the same as calling in? My family is coming up and I'm trying to figure out if I can give away a shift on the weekend to be with them, or if I would have needed to request the day off beforehand.

Just wanted to post that I just did this with a shift last weekend, and it worked out very well. I requested the day off weeks in advance to see my family, but they just wouldn't give it to me. So I gave the shift away with no problems. But I would make sure you find someone to take it and set it up on the Hub as soon as you can. It took about two days for the shift to disappear from my schedule and show up on my coworker's, so it's not something to save for the last minute.

You can trade up until noon the day before; it just won't show up on the hub. CDS and the activity logs will still know what's up.

Are you only working 6 hour days? If you do 8 hour days, the 6th day would be hours 40-48 and would time and a half. If you do 6 hour days, your 6th day still won't even put you at 40 hours (yikes!)

You can trade up until noon the day before; it just won't show up on the hub. CDS and the activity logs will still know what's up.

Thanks! Good to know in case something comes up or plans change.

It's only if you're scheduled seven days, giving you no days off that week. You get paid the Double Time for whatever day would have been your second day off (your "Sunday"). You don't get anything for working a sixth day.

Sorry to dig this up, but seeing as how I have my schedule for New Year's week, I just had a question about this. I'm scheduled 7 days - 56 hours. I'm actually picking up additional shifts, but my 7th day - which is New Year's Day, would that be double time?

Sorry to dig this up, but seeing as how I have my schedule for New Year's week, I just had a question about this. I'm scheduled 7 days - 56 hours. I'm actually picking up additional shifts, but my 7th day - which is New Year's Day, would that be double time?

As long as you didn't sign up for it in advance through Additional Hours Sign Up on The Hub (in which case, it would be notated as "VOL OT" or "Voluntary OT" on the printed schedule), then yes, it would be paid at the Double Time rate.

If you did sign up for it, then it would be paid at the 1.5 OT rate.

I just wanted to clarify:

first you said you were SCHEDULED 7 days...

then you said you're picking up additional shifts.

If you were indeed scheduled 7 days from labor then yes, you get double. If you picked up a shift to give you 7 days, then no you don't. Hopefully that makes sense.

Okay so this might sound like a completely answered question already but I'm kind of confused.

I'm moving to Disney on the 10th of January. I want to work as much as possible so I was hoping to get 50 hours a week.

Does that mean the first 40 hours I'd be paid my regular time and the other 10 hours or so it would be time and a half? Will they teach us how to sign up for extra hours on the HUB?

Okay so this might sound like a completely answered question already but I'm kind of confused.

I'm moving to Disney on the 10th of January. I want to work as much as possible so I was hoping to get 50 hours a week.

Does that mean the first 40 hours I'd be paid my regular time and the other 10 hours or so it would be time and a half? Will they teach us how to sign up for extra hours on the HUB?

It would depend to which site you're going. You didn't specify.

At the Disneyland Resort in California, you would receive overtime at a rate of 1.5 times your base rate for all hours worked over 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week.

At the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, you would receive overtime at a rate of 1.5 times your base rate for all hours worked over 8 hours in a day.

In addition, while Cast Members at the Walt Disney World Resort can sign up for extra shifts on The Hub, Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort cannot do so at this time. Disneyland Resort Cast Members interested in additional hours beyond their published schedule should liaise with their Leader and/or Workforce Management/Cast Scheduling representative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter