Pin Trading as a Cast Member

On the first page rachaelfig posted that she "got yanked around by [her] neck a lot" by a mom who wanted to show her pins, and posted that people get hip lanyards as a precaution which is why I'm asking Joanna71985 why she "made sure to get a hip lanyard" to see if this was part of her reasoning too.

It's common sense not to reach for or grab something on someone else's person, especially if that person is a stranger. That is rude and dangerous. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't that bright. On the other hand they could come from a culture where grabbing at and touching on strangers is the norm, in which case they should do their research before they travel somewhere with a different culture so as to not commit social faux-pas. I take it that the parents who actually pay attention and know what they're doing turn their backs for just a second and the children have already pounced on some poor unsuspecting cast member's lanyard.

Personally, I have never seen anybody reach for anyone's lanyard. rachaelfig's post was the first instance I read. I only ever see people pointing. Most people I see also ask to see the pins if they go to the CM directly instead of just pointing while addressing their party. I've also seen some people like me who stare from afar trying to figure out whether or not the pins you have are worth waiting to get your attention and ask to see them properly. I've always wondered if all the cast members notice their pins are being "surreptitiously" appraised or if some are clueless and conceited enough to think that they are being stared at themselves. Then again, many seem to not notice at all or even remember that they're wearing pins.

Would you say you like hip lanyards better because people don't tend to reach for them? Are there other positives that the hip lanyard has over the neck one?

Oh I love my hip lanyard! I hated the neck lanyard for 2 reasons- 1) where it hung, and 2) it irritated my neck. I also like the hip lanyard because I don't have to lean over as far to show the pins

Ok, thanks! :)
I think I may want a hip lanyard now. On the Disney cruise I took in May I started to notice that my neck lanyard had gotten pretty heavy. Not heavy as in the number of pins since I only keep the ones I'm willing to trade on it, but heavy in the actual weight sense. I don't want to stand behind a cash register with a heavy neck all day long. Bending over and reaching with a heavy neck while restocking kind of sounds worse. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter